La Scala, Cornwall, or Klipschorn for this room?

discodoc

I'm trying to determine which of the La Scalas, Cornwalls, or Klipschorns would be best for my room. Amplification is a McIntosh MC225 with MX110 preamp. Listening preferences are mostly older rock on vinyl (Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Led Zeppelin) but also more nuanced acoustic stuff (Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, James Taylor).

If you refer to the photo, the components will live underneath that window, and that wall is about 15' wide. It seems like that's probably too short for Klipschorns, especially since the ceiling slopes down to 49". So close, but too low for the KHs to fit snug into the corners.

I've been thinking La Scala's for awhile now, but after reading a bit more, it sounds like I should also consider the Cornwalls. I don't have any plans for a subwoofer in this space, and the lower 34hz response of the Cornwalls may actually be a better fit.

I'm posting here as I'm new to placement of the classic Klipsch series and hoping for some advice. Is this wall too short for all of these options?

IMG_0656.jpg

Edited by discodoc
  • Like 2

I vote LaScala cuz I always vote LS! 

Not sure of your budget, so several possible other options.

If in range, I have heard nothing but good things about the Corwall IV. If that strains the budget, stick with first edition LS.

Nice room, nice electronics. Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cornwalls -LaScala-Khorns all would be appropriate ------but given the type of music you like   -Cornwall as the Bass is prominent -------the 2 others are just too flat in the bass -  but they shine in the mids horn section  ------  tweeters are all the same -

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Cornwalls -LaScala-Khorns all would be appropriate ------but given the type of music you like   -Cornwall as the Bass is prominent -------the 2 others are just too flat in the bass -  but they shine in the mids horn section  ------  tweeters are all the same -

CW4

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER K-107-TI 1” (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

MIDRANGE K-702 1.75” (4.45cm) Polyimide diaphragm compression driver

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER K-33-E 15” (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone woofer

LaSala AL 5

TWEETER K-771 1" (2.54cm) Light-Weight Polyimide Diaphragm Compression Driver Mated to a 90° x 40° Tractrix HornHIGH FREQUENCY HORNTractrix

MIDRANGE K-55-X 2” (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN Exponential

WOOFER K-33-E 15” (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone with a folded horn

AK 6

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER K-771 1” (2.54cm) light-weight Polyimide diaphragm compression driver mated to a 90 x 40 Tractrix horn

MIDRANGE K-55-X 2” (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER K-33-E 15” (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone woofer with a trihedral exponential folded horn

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone.

I just found some La Scala II's at a reasonable price. If I were to run a THSPUD or TubaHT, could it function as the "table" for the components? The idea of rattling tube gear does not sound good to me, however maybe horn loaded subs act differently.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, discodoc said:

I just found some La Scala II's at a reasonable price. If I were to run a THSPUD or TubaHT, could it function as the "table" for the components? The idea of rattling tube gear does not sound good to me, however maybe horn loaded subs act differently.

I’ve just built a Table Tuba. It’s a sturdy piece of gear for sure. But you can feel vibration through the cabinet. Then again you can feel it everywhere in the room. It would probably be too much for tube gear, but with some isolation, maybe ? It would probably be ok for solid state though. I guarantee you’ll like the TT with La Scalas, 

LaScala if it fits.  I don't think a K will, and it looks like the Cornwall won't either and perhaps not a LaS.   Better measure and make sure your eye's aren't fooling you.  You also need room for all that stuff.

You might want to go the latest Heresy, since they are now ported for better bass.  You never know how anything will send in a room like that, and we can't even see what's behind you in the pic.

-- Larry

Try the speakers first -------the LSII has stiffer side walls which make for less resonance ,  and a more precise bass ,  you might just end  up putting the bass up more than a Cornwall , but overall Mid bass is excellent - 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, discodoc said:

A horn loaded sub is different than a direct radiator mostly in sound, a horn loaded sub would match better with LaScalas. It will still rumble things but with music you really just want it filling in where the mains drop off and not just thumping away like in movies. With music a sub is used to fill in the bottom and the goal  is to NOT be able to tell where the mains drop off and the sub takes over, blended smoothly as to not stand out.

You don't need to worry about a capable sub rattling your amps, well unless you crank it to crazy unreal levels and if that's the case you will  be deaf in no time, the tubes will outlive your ears. :lol:

I don't use tubes, but my electronics are sitting ON a very capable large horn sub and no problems. BR/DVD player, amps, electronic crossover, satellite box, AVR and sub amp and laptop. Even when watching a movie at above normal levels the BR player never has a problem playing a disc from vibration,  and everything including the house had vibrations.

LaScalas and a horn loaded sub is a great choice. IMO

• Like 4

I have had khorns on a 15’ wide wall, and while they did sound good, I didn’t get the most out of them. If this question were posed in the past my vote would have been for the LS. But with the release of the CW IV, things have changed. If you decide to forgo a horn loaded sub, I think the Cornwall IV will sound better in that room than a pair of khorns. This new CW is a lot different (read: better) than what came before it.  It should be pretty easy to get a demo at a decent heritage dealer.

Shakey

• Like 1

I'd love La Scalas but I haven't heard the new IV models of the Cornwall or Heresy.  You have to be willing to go without some bass with the La Scalas... I went for years before adding subs.  I was pretty happy for that time but now I wonder what I was waiting for!  

I'm curious how your imaging will be with speakers at that end of the room.  I had trouble with instruments and singers sliding all over the sound stage in a similar setup.  I found that I had to move the speakers to the wall where the ceiling was most symmetrical to the speakers to get a solid sound stage.  This meant I didn't get to put my seating where I wanted but it made for the best sound.  Just food for thought.  

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

But with the release of the CW IV, things have changed. If you decide to forgo a horn loaded sub, I think the Cornwall IV will sound better in that room than a pair of khorns. This new CW is a lot different (read: better) than what came before it.  It should be pretty easy to get a demo at a decent heritage dealer.

Shakey

That's what I said above with fewer words.

I love LaScalas, but I think the newer Corns would be a better fit.

• Like 1