La Scala, Cornwall, or Klipschorn for this room?

discodoc

Not a "tough" choice, a fun choice! You will like them both and get to choose which one you like the most (at that particular moment, in that environment, with that song playing.....)

I just notice "disco" in you name, so you end up with a sub either way.

• Haha 1

I've just purchased the La Scala II's I had mentioned earlier in the thread and look forward to actually receiving them. The horn-loaded bass was the primary factor, along with learning that I can drop a Tuba sub just about anywhere if needed. Thanks again to everyone for your input, I'm excited to join the Kilpsch club :)

One final quick question; does anyone know if the grills on the high section of the IIs come off easily? Are they just attached by magnets?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, discodoc said:

I've just purchased the La Scala II's I had mentioned earlier in the thread and look forward to actually receiving them. The horn-loaded bass was the primary factor, along with learning that I can drop a Tuba sub just about anywhere if needed. Thanks again to everyone for your input, I'm excited to join the Kilpsch club :)

One final quick question; does anyone know if the grills on the high section of the IIs come off easily? Are they just attached by magnets?

Congrats and welcome! Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the bass. thanks

• Moderators
3 hours ago, discodoc said:

No idea, I would think magnets but never played with any. But I do really like the 2 version, the thicker wood looks great, just a better overall look to me.

7 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Hahahaha, gettin kind of horney already?  Gotta show 'em off?  l'm honestly clueless but my old ones do.

Let those listeners wonder!  @dtel ya got a clue brother?

I'm clueless, like that's a surprise. crowbar ? :o

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, discodoc said:

Yeah, I suppose I should mention the room layout is not what it will be after the speakers are in place :)

I suppose I was trying to say design your room around Cornwalls. With Khorns, design your house around them...LOL Like the lady working at  Klipsch who bought a house specifically to fit Khorns.

Edited by VNC Studio

I’ve got original La Scalas and La Scala IIs , and have run two different direct firing subs with them.  In each case, they sounded fine together, but with the new sub, the Paradigm Seismic 110, they sound really great together.  Horn-loaded subs may have certain advantages with horn-loaded speakers, but don’t be married to the concept.  Direct firing subs can sound great with La Scalas, originals or IIs.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, discodoc said:

they should be magnets , since the older series were stapled or Velcro  , ---- removing the grilles should  sound a bit clearer ---

16 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

they should be magnets , since the older series were stapled or Velcro  , ---- removing the grilles should  sound a bit clearer ---

Thanks, I suppose I'll find out soon enough. I actually just want to swap them for AL5 grills if I can find some, as I like the look a bit more.

1 minute ago, discodoc said:

I actually just want to swap them for AL5 grills if I can find some, as I like the look a bit more.

-you can order them NEW  from klipsch  -Congrats on the LSII  - if you ever find AL5 grilles , and you wish to sell the LSII grilles , PM me please - tx

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I believe you will find that AL5 grille are larger due to the new tweeter required a taller enclosure design

you're dead on , the AL5 is 1.5 inches taller -  in this video  you can see the tweeter's size   right away in the beginning and then the end of the AL5 factory build ---the horn section and the driver are much bigger than a K77F

• Like 1

If you really love bass as you say :) you cant go wrong with a horn loaded sub. I absolutely love my LaScalas combined with the thtlp (18"×24" footprint) I have a mile of headroom whatever I throw at them. CWIV or LSII both benefit!! Oh and the grill has magnets.

Edited by Arne Stokkeland
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

the  room  is  too  small  for  any  of  your  3  choices ,,  U  won't  be  able  to  turn  it up,  bc  as  soon  as  U  do,  the  reverberation  will  come  back &  clash  w/the  sound,  any  of  those  3  will  work  against  itself ,,  unless U  plan  on  low  volumes,  &  what's  the  point,  with  these  3  beauties,  that  love  to  ring  out ,,  also  U  are  on  the  top  floor  of  a  2  or  3  storey  house ,, ppl  underneath  U ,,  its  not  going  to  work ,,  any  speakers  U  choose  shud  NOT  be  placed  on  the  floor  in  your  room ,,  max  size  for  woofers  for  your  room  shud  be  8'' ,,  even  10's  wuhd  be  too  big ,,  &  the  right   bookshelves  with  6.5 inch  woofers wuhd  fill  that  room  nicely ,,  speakers  need  the  right  sized  rooms  to  perform  their  best ..

Spoiler