The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dave A

Mid Range MAHL style horn

I have thought about this for some time and I am getting ready to do a prototype next week. As many of you know the larger wood horns have been getting hard to find and I am going to begin working on two types. The Belle and KHorn have a modular horn section and I am thinking of making some for those with the tweeter and mid cut into the motorboard to fit the DE-10 on the tweeter and a 2" throat for the mid with adapters to go to 1.4" or 1" 1 3/8 18TPI for things like the K-55-V or just a straight 1". You will also be able to use 2" drivers so once again the intent is to make this versatile. Unlike the clamp plates for the LMAHL and SMAHL V2's each throat size driver will require a specific clamp plate. The hole centers on all of them will be common though so you can change your mind later and not have to change your horn.  The adapters will be 2" deep so the horn cavity will be right at 7" deep with adapter and will have the same basic cavity curvature as the MAHL's do.

Now here is a modular type meant to be cut into a motorboard and for the sake of testing will be the first one I do.1047892932_standalone2.JPG.dd5c07acb6f5c5f22b7afa8e1cd1e3f8.JPG912141634_standalone3.JPG.55f8c385a4baca2c86acea5b3a4c9edf.JPG1385601278_standalone4.JPG.418ff1d64ba595d17b6e954fbcd72d00.JPG821729393_standalonemid1.thumb.JPG.381ae8e2ff175678df885ce3f8ecb348.JPG

This will be stacked and glued Baltic Birch and cut as smooth as I can get it for minimal surface prep. I have one here in the shop for a different project that I hand sanded a bit and polyurethane coated and I like the look of the layers. The layers cut differently though and I am refining what tool to use for the best results. Of course I can cut these in hardwood too but that will have to be done in 1" thick layers since a single big block would be to prone to splitting. With layered hardwood though I think the cavity would be basically ready to go just like the Walnut MAHL's are.

I have no idea where this will end up as the potential variety is large from wood type used to anything from free standing to being cut into complete two and three way motorboards for people wanting to do custom builds or serious mods to existing speakers.

The blend from the cavity to the flat surface looks sharp because there are lines imposed on the rendering to make edges more visible. It will be a smooth transition there. The mounting plate holes will be probably 5/16 with Helicoil inserts for strength in the wood.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Fido said:

Can these possibly fit in a Forte?

Looking at the Forte dimensions sheet I am leaning towards no with the one I have shown. I may look at one for those too in Aluminum in the future though.

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Looking at the Forte dimensions sheet I am leaning towards no with the one I have shown. I may look at one for those too in Aluminum in the future though.

@Dave A : you may need to change your forum name to Dave Edison pretty soon. Your imagination, skill, experiments, and results remind me of Thomas A from Menlo Park. Please "Keep on Truckin'".

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I love your LMAHL tweeters and they have raised the sound quality of my Forte 1s to a level I never imagined.  I am thinking the mid range of the fortes could also be substantially improved,. I'd love to be the first to buy a pair of your Aluminum Midrange drivers and think that these improvements would easily match or better the Forte 3s.

My Belle clones just might need to evolve to another level here potentially!

DaveA...taking over where GotHover left off.... S-W-E-E-T.... GO ,go,go,go

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

DaveA...taking over where GotHover left off.... S-W-E-E-T.... GO ,go,go,go

Ironically his name is Dave as well. 

Just now, The Dude said:

Ironically his name is Dave as well. 

And I've met them both, they are not one in the same person:)

• Like 1

-am I understanding it correctly ---these are an equivalent  for the k-400/401   for the KHORN-    would they fit a SCALA--

Dave...  not knowing anything about how you are making these....  you were asked if they'd fit in a Forte' and you think the answer is no.

Question....  what about setting it on TOP of a given speaker....  instead of milling the outside to be/look like a quasi horn....  what if instead, you milled only part of the outside, leaving say, the bottom part and part of the sides intact making a natural base for it to sit on.  Now someone could simply sit it on their speaker and leave the speaker box otherwise intact and still get to use a larger horn.

Rewording it....you could have two versions of the same horn.  One with milled exterior to make it light and so on....  second version with a partial milled exterior and now it has an integrated base.

I'll even let you do this without paying me any royalties!!  :sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

sweet deal

55 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

sweet deal

Yeah, but I might try to milk out of him a K402 in Macassar Ebony or Rosewood.....

:emotion-14:

Just now, Coytee said:

Yeah, but I might try to milk out of him a K402 in Macassar Ebony or Rosewood.....

That wouldn't weigh too much... 🙄

3 hours ago, Pete H said:

@Dave A and can we expect to see this prototype in a month in Arkansas?  

I think so.

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Dave...  not knowing anything about how you are making these....  you were asked if they'd fit in a Forte' and you think the answer is no.

Question....  what about setting it on TOP of a given speaker....  instead of milling the outside to be/look like a quasi horn....  what if instead, you milled only part of the outside, leaving say, the bottom part and part of the sides intact making a natural base for it to sit on.  Now someone could simply sit it on their speaker and leave the speaker box otherwise intact and still get to use a larger horn.

Rewording it....you could have two versions of the same horn.  One with milled exterior to make it light and so on....  second version with a partial milled exterior and now it has an integrated base.

Hmmm, ahhh........ hey you mean like this?

19 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have no idea where this will end up as the potential variety is large from wood type used to anything from free standing to being cut into complete two and three way motorboards for people wanting to do custom builds or serious mods to existing speakers.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

That wouldn't weigh too much... 🙄

3,000 pound capacity on the mill table so the real question is can he refinance his house?

Maybe I'd be trading my wife...maybe

Hmmmm now the prize (or gotcha) is on you!