The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dave A

Mid Range MAHL style horn

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

These will need a tweeter or not?

Depends on the driver, crossover, and desired dispersion angles, which is mostly the horn yet to be tested.

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So I guess this means using up space for a home MUSEUM is more important than better sound from those boxes. I don't share that philosophy as the buyer did. I prefer to optimize the sound of every box whenever possible, using the latest technology, if doable and affordable, which it is!

No I used his home for a museum. I have, ahem, other things to occupy my time with.

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

No I used his home for a museum. I have, ahem, other things to occupy my time with.

Yes, I was talking about HIS home museum, since he now owns them.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, RandyH000 said:

-am I understanding it correctly ---these are an equivalent  for the k-400/401   for the KHORN-    would they fit a SCALA--

Could these be mounted on the exterior of the motor board on Cornwall 1? I bet they look so good, but would want to show them off instead of the mounting style on my Cornwall are behind the motor board.

1 hour ago, Bobby2xs said:

Could these be mounted on the exterior of the motor board on Cornwall 1? I bet they look so good, but would want to show them off instead of the mounting style on my Cornwall are behind the motor board.

If I make free standing ones they could sit on top of the Cornwall. I don't think there is space on the OEM motorboard for these unless you just replace the whole motorboard and start over with a new piece of wood.

Regarding free standing horns: As a general rule, horns do best when they are mounted on a baffle (not set back but rather flush or a bit proud of the baffle).

There are a few reasons for this and it may or may not be true in this particular instance. 

5 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Regarding free standing horns: As a general rule, horns do best when they are mounted on a baffle (not set back but rather flush or a bit proud of the baffle).

There are a few reasons for this and it may or may not be true in this particular instance. 

For freestanding horns I would be leaving the stacked and glued wood as a rectangle with the  horn cavity cut flush into the front face. Debating provisions for a method to raise the whole thing up so reflection off the top of whatever it sits won't happen and to be able to tilt some for best sound. There are a lot of ideas I am debating right now.

On 8/31/2020 at 10:06 PM, ZEUS121996 said:

They will NOT go down to 400 Hz. or anywhere near that.................wishful thiking..........................more like 650 Hz. if that. Curves don't lie.

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

horns

Dave ,  will  any of these new horns   fit  in a LS  top hat  -

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Dave ,  will  any of these new horns   fit  in a LS  top hat  -

Not the first one but that is on the list to do.

I would love to have new cabs with motor board mounted walnut tweeters and mids!! Do we have a good cabinet builder or have an idea for a donor cab? Also wayyyy interested in having a center built w them And either 8 or 6.5 woofers!

On 9/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

They will NOT go down to 400 Hz. or anywhere near that.................wishful thiking..........................more like 650 Hz. if that. Curves don't lie.

Claude,

You don't like my period? LOL

Mark

On 9/3/2020 at 8:11 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

They will NOT go down to 400 Hz. Curves don't lie.

Claude great work  for checking the curves -

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Claude great work  for checking the curves -

I haven't checked them yet. I will as soon as I get a prototype and intended drivers. Based on the dimensions only so far, comes my comment.

35 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I haven't checked them yet. I will as soon as I get a prototype and intended drivers. Based on the dimensions only so far, comes my comment.

Fantastic , keep us posted , this is going to be very interesting to follow -