SRS and TruSurround...

quakegeek

I hope this doesn't seem like "SPAM". If it does, I ask the moderator to delete the message.

I own two setups of Promedias, so I'm just recommending this product as an add-on to an already awesome sound setup.

I was wondering if you guys have ever checked out the NewQ with SRS and SRS TruSurround.

I just purchased the Gold-DSP version.

It's real nice, has microphone and headphone outputs and an onscreen display EQ - with a DSP for effects. You can set it to different EQ preset mode, change each EQ frequency yourself, as well as use the built in DSP for hall, stadium, live, and club effects - or you can disable everything to normal.

Plus it has SRS 3D and TruSurround (TruSurround is really great if you only have 2 speakers or want to enhance your 5.1 listening experience). TruSurround actually will interpret a DB 5.1 or DB Surround signal into two speakers - it also seems to work very well with a pre-downmixed 4 speaker setup - so it'll enhance your current 4 speaker setup.

Since I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - and I don't want to interfere with the HTRF's taking place, I hooked the NewQ into my line in. I run a 5 disc cd player with my classical and rock music - I don't like MP3's to me they sound very degraded in quality.

I have SRS'ed music (which you must hear to understand why it's so great) and Sensaura DS3D games. :-)

Anyhow, SRS really is great. It does to 2 channel stereo what Sensaura does with 4 channel speaker setups and DS3D. In fact, SRS was one of the first to use the HTRF's.

To read more about SRS go here:

http://www.srslabs.com/technologies/srs3d.html

To read more about TruSurround go here:

http://www.srslabs.com/technologies/trusurround.html

To read the difference with the WowThing (which I don't recommend using as opposed to regular SRS go here):

http://www.srslabs.com/technologies/wow.html

It's worth checking out - especially for the SRS.

Note: SRS is not the same as the WowThing. It won't push the highs or bass, it just causes a very spatial, depth, and detailed sound experience (restoring lost embedded or muffled sound). Unlike the WowThing SRS won't sound too bummy or hissy with a good set of speakers. I found the WowThing to be okay for really cheap speakers but not nearly as good as the "original SRS" effect on a good quality system.

Their web site is: http://www.newq.com/

Here's their FAQ: http://www.newq.com/support/faq.asp

Here's how you can work it: http://www.newq.com/products/howtouse.asp

You can get them at www.outpost.com - free overnight shipping. Just search for NewQ.

QG

QG, you da man I need to talk to. I've been looking at the NewQ, and I've read every review I could find (total of 2) plus their entire website but I still a few questions.

1) Can I turn off all the effects from the DSP and use the NewQ as a simple 4-channel EQ without messing up the 3D sound from games?

2) How is the quality? It's hard to tell from the web.

3) Why didn't you get the Platinum version?

4) What's up with that 10 pin connector? How does this thing interface your soundcard?

5) I noticed that the THD was 0.13%, which is quite a bit higher than the Precision Power PEQ-114 that I am using noe (0.0074%). Do you notice any distortion, especially in the high end?

6) What are the EQ center frequencies?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but no one else seems to have this thing.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

quote:

Originally posted by KBlair:

QG, you da man I need to talk to. I've been looking at the NewQ, and I've read every review I could find (total of 2) plus their entire website but I still a few questions.

1) Can I turn off all the effects from the DSP and use the NewQ as a simple 4-channel EQ without messing up the 3D sound from games?

Hmm.. the 3D sound from games uses HTRF's or whatever. I wouldn't mess with those. Not sure, but I think the Platinum supports the 4 channels. If you call NewQ they'll tell you details on it. Sorry.

You can manually adjust the EQ and bypass all SRS and DSP functions, yes.

2) How is the quality? It's hard to tell from the web.

It's pretty decent. I use it with my Klipsch Pro Medias. But I only use the NewQ GOLD DSP with the line in on my TB Santa Cruz - I use the SRS for music. I don't use the other features.

3) Why didn't you get the Platinum version?

The Platinum is $150 for a lot of stuff I don't need. The GOLD DSP was $10 more than the GOLD. I only use the SRS feature for the front speakers - through the line in jack - and I can spread it across all 4 speakers with different DSP effects in the TB Santa Cruz - it's pretty neat.

4) What's up with that 10 pin connector? How does this thing interface your soundcard?

There is a special connector card that fits in a slot area on your computer - like a PCI or ISA slot - and it connects to the NEWQ. It's where it hooks all the stuff up - line in, sound card out, etc.

5) I noticed that the THD was 0.13%, which is quite a bit higher than the Precision Power PEQ-114 that I am using noe (0.0074%). Do you notice any distortion, especially in the high end?

Hmm the details from
say it's only "Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.04%".

6) What are the EQ center frequencies?

On my Gold DSP it's:

60, 150, 400, 1k, 2.4k, 6k, 15k

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but no one else seems to have this thing.

No problem.. let me know if I didn't answer anything correctly.

QG

c>

I was just looking at the THD.

You're right. The Platinum has a higher THD. The NewQ Gold and Gold DPS have only 0.04%.

I would go for the Gold series if you want better quality - so it seems.

Does your sound card have an EQ? The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has a real nice EQ.

QG