3636 in ALK Universal???

sootshe

Hi all,

Need some help with this. I've decided to stick with the ALK universal design for my Belle build as I have all the required schematics & layout diagrams.

Have all the parts, but obviously the 3619 being no longer available, I have purchased a 3636 to install.

Can I connect it exactly the same as in the attached layout? With the red wire going to either the "x, y or 5" on the 3636? & the green wire staying the same from the "0" on the 3636?

Parts will be Jantzen Superior Z caps for the 40uf - Jantzen Alumen caps for the mid & tweeter sections. Mundorf 11 gauge (2.36mm) vacuum inpregnated air coils for the bass & Solen 14 gauge Litz for the mid & tops. 

ALK Uni with 3636.pdf

Apologies, @sootshe, but I have a question for @Deang

I modified the Type A/AA illustration with a hybrid approach for the 3636 / 10 ohm shunt resistor.  

By placing the resistor on the 3636 side of the capacitor to common, the intended 1 db attenuations of the 3636 can be utilized.

This , too, represents a "Constant Impedance".

Connect tap 0 to common (input '-' and squawker '-').

Connect capacitor (with shunt resistor) to tap 5 (+0 db), tap y (+1db), or tap x (+2db).

Connect tap 1 (-12db) , 2 (-9 db), 3 (-6db), or 4 (-3 db) to "output " squawker '+'.

I know you feel that both "outputs" to the squawker must float, but I don't understand why?

I like the ability to get attenuations in 1 db increments.

Thanks, Mike

1544623680_3636AutotransformerSetupGuide.jpg.d19ff4c94cbefb97fee2b93a6c792a7b.jpg

6 hours ago, mboxler said:

Apologies, @sootshe, but I have a question for @Deang

I modified the Type A/AA illustration with a hybrid approach for the 3636 / 10 ohm shunt resistor.  

By placing the resistor on the 3636 side of the capacitor to common, the intended 1 db attenuations of the 3636 can be utilized.

This , too, represents a "Constant Impedance".

Connect tap 0 to common (input '-' and squawker '-').

Connect capacitor (with shunt resistor) to tap 5 (+0 db), tap y (+1db), or tap x (+2db).

Connect tap 1 (-12db) , 2 (-9 db), 3 (-6db), or 4 (-3 db) to "output " squawker '+'.

I know you feel that both "outputs" to the squawker must float, but I don't understand why?

I like the ability to get attenuations in 1 db increments.

Thanks, Mike

1544623680_3636AutotransformerSetupGuide.jpg.d19ff4c94cbefb97fee2b93a6c792a7b.jpg

No problem Mike....we'll all learn something now. 

@mboxler Sure, he can do it that way, but then there will be questions and more questions and ... right now, he has the schematics and layouts for the original design and is good to go. Also, if he ever decides to change drivers and needs more than -12dB, he won’t be able to do it. 

6 hours ago, Deang said:

@mboxler Sure, he can do it that way, but then there will be questions and more questions and ... right now, he has the schematics and layouts for the original design and is good to go. Also, if he ever decides to change drivers and needs more than -12dB, he won’t be able to do it. 

Yes, you are exactly correct Dean.

This is all way above my head, but I can follow the layouts that I have. I built one of these back in 2009 & thought the sound was really very good. I need the certainty that this plan of attack gives me to tackle this myself. 

By all means discuss Mikes option, as that's not going to change my plan....I'm settled on this one as I have invested in all the components.