Receiver Question

JT-TX

I have a question. I currently have an Onkyo TX NR646, Klipsch Heresy's front L/R a Klipsch RP500C (center) and Klipsch RP600M's for surrounds and an SVS PC-2000 Sub. I do 80% movies but listen to music when I'm on the treadmill (in the same room) and sometimes just for relaxation. The "all channel stereo" and 2 channel mode sounds good but I wonder would upgrading to a better receiver make that much of a difference for 2 channel music? The onkyo is 100wpc and the Marantz I'm looking at is 125wpc and more importantly has preouts if I wanted to add an amp. I know the prevailing opinion is to have a dedicated 2 channel and a dedicated HT system but how close can one really get to having the cake and eating it too with a HT receiver? I'll probably eventually upgrade and separate the two systems but for now, I will have to go this route. The home theater sounds great with the heresy's by the way..

Edited by JT-TX

4 hours ago, JohnW said:

I’m wondering the EXACT SAME THING.

Have an Onkyo tx-nr676 running my new Cornwalls and my family room theater, which actually sounds really good.

But would say, a Marantz SR6015 sound better?

What he said :) 

I would wait till you can just make 2 separate systems. But to get much difference you have to spend a lot more money cause I think your current system is pretty good. I guess your AVR now wont let you run just 2 channel for music???? My Integra is set up to switch to stereo on all my music like turntable...radio...CD..etc. 

It's one of those "it depends" answers.  How important is 2-channel to you and what are your sources?  If you are just streaming background music like you say, then your setup is probably great.  You are taking advantage of the Onkyo's internal DACs and room correction, and Klipsch speakers are relatively easy to drive.

The next step up would be an AVR with multi-channel pre-outs.  This tends to put you in a higher class of AVR, with better guts and processors, across all the major manufacturers' product lineups.  And you can add a multi-channel amp to offload the front/center channels for more oomph.  

The next step up would be to add a 2-channel pre-amp with home-theater bypass.  If you had a turntable or specialized DAC, and you didn't want to send these signals thru an AVR, the HT bypass feature would allow you to share the same speakers and amp, but keep your 2-channel and HT audio separated.

11 hours ago, pbphoto said:

It's one of those "it depends" answers.  How important is 2-channel to you and what are your sources?  If you are just streaming background music like you say, then your setup is probably great.  You are taking advantage of the Onkyo's internal DACs and room correction, and Klipsch speakers are relatively easy to drive.

The next step up would be an AVR with multi-channel pre-outs.  This tends to put you in a higher class of AVR, with better guts and processors, across all the major manufacturers' product lineups.  And you can add a multi-channel amp to offload the front/center channels for more oomph.  

The next step up would be to add a 2-channel pre-amp with home-theater bypass.  If you had a turntable or specialized DAC, and you didn't want to send these signals thru an AVR, the HT bypass feature would allow you to share the same speakers and amp, but keep your 2-channel and HT audio separated.

I’m drooling over a few integrated amps with home theater bypass...but I can’t seem to figure out how everything is connected. Front speakers to integrated amp, with AVR frint preouts feeding that?

12 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I've actually thought about that. I'm going to have to find one that has outs for front L/R and Sub because I while my heresy's sound awesome, they sound much better with a sub. Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, JT-TX said:

I've actually thought about that. I'm going to have to find one that has outs for front L/R and Sub because I while my heresy's sound awesome, they sound much better with a sub. Any suggestions?

Yes, check out Parasound - or get a 2-channel with two output channels: A for the heresies and B for the sub-out.   Here's a list that looks fairly up to date:  http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input

7 hours ago, JohnW said:

I’m drooling over a few integrated amps with home theater bypass...but I can’t seem to figure out how everything is connected. Front speakers to integrated amp, with AVR frint preouts feeding that?

Yes, you have it right.  I find it confusing too, so I draw myself a picture before connecting everything.  Then I quickly forget what I did, but it works!

For 2-channel listening:

2-channel source --> pre/ integrated amp --> L+R+sub speakers.

For HT:

AVR L+R pre-outs --> integrated amp (bypass on) --> L+R speakers

AVR center + surround channels --> directly to the speakers

AVR sub-out --> if your pre/integrated amp has 2.1 capability (parasound), or directly to the sub using Y-splitter rca cables (to share the sub with 2-channel)

You can connect the 12v trigger outputs/inputs so that when you turn on your pre/integrated amp for 2-channel listening, your power amp turns out too.  And then when you turn on your AVR to watch a movie, both your pre/integrated and power amp turn on, automatically in bypass mode.