Journey to Jubilation

LTusler

22 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Congratulations! I know you will enjoy them.

I'm curious about the finish on these factory cabinets with the veneer upgrade.  Are the edges square or have they been rounded over (it looks that way, I think). I am trying to figure out if edge banding or veneer on the tops and sides could be easily applied. 

Anyhow enjoy them,

-Tom

Here is some detail on the LF openings.  They are not quite the same as the originals shown above.

LF Edge Detail.jpg

LF Mouth Left.jpg

LF Veneer Detail.jpg

8 hours ago, babadono said:

@LTusler Congrats! Threw down that kind of cash without ever hearing them? Wow! I know you will enjoy them. Had you ever heard any horn loaded bass? Like KHorns or LaScalas?

I guess it was somewhat of a risk, but after reading all about them on this site and the reputation of Klipsch in general, I wasn't too worried.  I did get a huge eyebrow raise from the wife, but once she heard them, she got it.  I am sure that will apply to anyone else who hears them as well!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LTusler said:

I did get a huge eyebrow raise from the wife

Did he just say that his wife has big eyes?? :o

3 minutes ago, LTusler said:

I am sure that will apply to anyone else who hears them as well!

They tend to speak well for themselves once someone gives them a chance.

I wish I only got a huge eyebrow raise from my wife when she saw them....  (she has "Billy Joel" eyes so when they're big, they're big!!)

No, I got something more like fire & brimstone eyes when she saw mine.  However, I reminded her that I had big speakers when she met me so I'm sort of a package deal.

• Haha 2

Is this the second pair in MN? I have a pair they are crazy good, but my bins are clones that the plans were gifted to a famous horn designer, but are heavier then the stock ones. Try the tads if you can find them, the 69 is good though. for all of you who are on the fence, buy them... the price might go way up....they make many speakers sound like silly....

2 hours ago, juniper said:

Is this the second pair in MN? I have a pair they are crazy good, but my bins are clones that the plans were gifted to a famous horn designer, but are heavier then the stock ones. Try the tads if you can find them, the 69 is good though. for all of you who are on the fence, buy them... the price might go way up....they make many speakers sound like silly....

Don't know are you in MN?

On 8/27/2020 at 10:32 AM, LTusler said:

So I was finally able to earn the money to purchase a system,  called up Cory ant Paducah and placed the order.

they sure are  huge speakers , and they sure look to fit in really nice

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Smart move, skip the other steps it's cheaper in the long run.

You did great and I have no doubt you will not be sorry. It's pretty amazing what they can do.

And that 402 horn is special.

Congratulations 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/28/2020 at 6:47 AM, Coytee said:

Nice!

Reason I asked (without getting into some of the original  history), I've got a checkmark on my list for those who've answered and according to that, 18 people said they had NOT heard them prior and 14 said they had.... so according to this (incomplete and admittedly inaccurate) list, 56% of those who answered had not heard them prior to purchase.

I think that's cool as beans that someone steps up to the plate to make a financial purchase like that essentially blind.

(I had heard them prior to purchase so I don't fit in that group)

Well Roy said he designed and engineered it, and say they sound "ok", so not totally blind.

On 8/28/2020 at 7:14 PM, juniper said:

LTusler, I am.... gets some microphones, and room correction software, sound absorbtion, and you will be good to go... you will still need great recordings....

Got the REW and mic.  I've been using them as I learned.  I have been using a MiniDSP DDRC 88A with DIRAC.  Onc I got the timing and xovers set with the 3 way system and doing the room correction, I found I liked it better with the room correction off.  I haven't done any measuring on the Jubs yet, just listening, but I am retiring and winter is coming!

On 8/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, juniper said:

Try the tads if you can find them, the 69 is good though. for all of you who are on the fence, buy them...

The Jubilees now come with K-691 drivers, which definitely sound better than the older K-69-A drivers.

As for the internal wires showing, you could go to an auto parts jobber and get a short length of automotive split wire loom and slip that on over them, which would make them harder to see.  The price should be under $2.00.  It comes in many sizes and colours, but plain black is the basic colour that should always be in stock.

The white split wire loom can be handy to make surround speaker cables much less noticeable.  The neat white tubing running along the white baseboards (that’s what I have, anyway) looks more tidy than three 2-conductor copper wires running around the outside of the room.

Rsrvrman, Thanks.

Islander, I will look into that, thanks.

So I started on the recycling of the shipping containers this weekend, that's a lots a cardboard!  I thought hard about keeping them, but its too much to store, and I be in a box before they will need to move, so I at least made this out of parts on them.

20200913_160446.jpg

• Like 1