Sub Amp Speaker Level Input Question

M_Klipsches

The other day I hooked up my Onix SP3 tube amp, and a turntable to a pair of Heresys. I hadn’t ran this set up in a few years. The last time I did, I didn’t even own a subwoofer (Unless you count the factory sub in my WRX). I’ve since, seen the truth and the way, and wanted to add a subwoofer. Obviously, there is no sub pre-out on the Onix. Which leaves the speaker inputs on a Yung 300 Plate Amp. This amp only has the input with no “speaker out”,  so this means a “Y” sort of connection to the speakers and sub amp. The question is; does this create any sort of load that could possibly damage the Onix? 
I think the answer is “no”, but my electrical theory is limited mostly, to questionable solder work, and turning off the breaker before installing a ceiling fan. 

The speaker level inputs on a sub plate amp will present very little additional load to your tube amp output. You should be OK to tie the Heresys and plate amp in parallel (with a Y connection as you say). Does Yung spec the input impedance of the speaker level input?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, babadono said:

The speaker level inputs on a sub plate amp will present very little additional load to your tube amp output. You should be OK to tie the Heresys and plate amp in parallel (with a Y connection as you say). Does Yung spec the input impedance of the speaker level input?

Thank you. I thought it was probably safe but, as they say, there are no stupid questions. The Input Impedance is not specified. At least not that I’m able to locate. 

13 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have actually found that in most instances, it is easier to get a good blend with the main speakers by using the speaker level sub inputs.

Shakey

Interesting. It seems that many newer powered subs only offer line level Inputs. I guess I’ve always assumed that was best. I’ve had the room torn apart today and wasn’t able to test it out. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you for the “input”, it is much appreciated.