How about a nice Schiit Pi ?

wetowne

Well I replaced my Musical Paradise MP-D1 tube dac with a Schiit Modius and my Chromecast Audio with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro hat on an Pi 4. A big improvement on both counts. Less noise,more dynamics,clarity and convenience. The old dac was warm sounding to a fault,the Modius still has the warm characteristics that I like in a dac without blurring the musical details and the background is dead quiet. Running Volumio on the Pi is also a lot more convenient than having two separate apps for Tidal and local files as with the Chromecast. It all cost less than the old MP-D1 did.Winners all around and my Fortes are happier for it.

IMG_0050.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SWL said:

Cool. I put blue painter's tape on all my Schiit stuff. A nice blue glow instead of that bright white light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've used colored plastic bags and scotch tape on the inside of the faceplate with great success too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wetowne said:

Well I replaced my Musical Paradise MP-D1 tube dac with a Schiit Modius and my Chromecast Audio with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro hat on an Pi 4. A big improvement on both counts. Less noise,more dynamics,clarity and convenience. The old dac was warm sounding to a fault,the Modius still has the warm characteristics that I like in a dac without blurring the musical details and the background is dead quiet. Running Volumio on the Pi is also a lot more convenient than having two separate apps for Tidal and local files as with the Chromecast. It all cost less than the old MP-D1 did.Winners all around and my Fortes are happier for it.

IMG_0050.jpg

Do you use the standard RPI power plug? 

Welcome to the pi club! I'm using the same hifiberry HAT going straight into my Yamaha processor. Running RopieeeXL for playback via roon and spotify.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:28 AM, ILI said:

Do you use the standard RPI power plug? 

I use a 12v linear power supply that my HAM father in law gave me from his parts bin. Bought a cheap little 5v convertor pre-terminated with a usb connection. I've compared to a handful of other usb wall bricks and it just continues to sound the best, even if it's ugly. I figure if it's good enough for radio work, it's good enough for audio.

• Like 1