La Scala's with Elliptrac 400

The original. Only driver change was the Crites 120 tweeter. Also went for the ALK Extreme $lope xovers. The tweeters image is razor sharp on the vertical axis and works great positioned on the inside. I had never imagined these speakers would sound this good after having lived with Peter Gunned Maggie 1.6's for the last 5 years. I was initially drawn to the dynamic headroom since vinyl is my primary source. With the ES xovers and the Ellliptrac horn the resolution is amazing and it's the first time I was able to listen to them for hours on end without fatigue. Worth the effort and money, and those horns were no picnic to sand and finish!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Full Range said:

From what I know 

They come pre-cut by CNC machine in segments and glued together - then sanded and painted ect 

I saw that , but I was thinking that plans were out there -----but I did email Dave - tx

• Like 1

This is the current version I built and listen to. The tops are still in the experimental stage.

I had a pair of Knorn Bass Bins at the time I built these. Lost those when our home burned down. Made the tops modular/moveable so I could also use them with the Khorn bins.

You can't see the tweeter mounts in this photo. They are moveable/adjustable anywhere from the fronts of the two horns flush(tweeter forward) to the face of the drivers being aligned (tweeter rearward). I can easily align the tops with the bass bins as well. Can't do anything with phase of course but can play with time alignment to an extent.

La Scala bins are stock except the 1/4" MDF wrap I gave them and the veneer and grills.

IMG_1477.JPG

• Like 7

On 8/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, jorjen said:

This is the current version I built and listen to. The tops are still in the experimental stage.

I had a pair of Knorn Bass Bins at the time I built these. Lost those when our home burned down. Made the tops modular/moveable so I could also use them with the Khorn bins.

You can't see the tweeter mounts in this photo. They are moveable/adjustable anywhere from the fronts of the two horns flush(tweeter forward) to the face of the drivers being aligned (tweeter rearward). I can easily align the tops with the bass bins as well. Can't do anything with phase of course but can play with time alignment to an extent.

La Scala bins are stock except the 1/4" MDF wrap I gave them and the veneer and grills.

IMG_1477.JPG

Looks great , sucks about the house and KHorns.

Whatever happened to those beautiful Jubilee''s?

21 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING  did you build these from a kit you purchased from Dave

No, these were from the early days. He had them assembled and painted and languishing in his shop. He gave me a great deal to experiment with them and report back.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:24 AM, Deang said:

Good bourbon on the shelf. Sure to improve the sound of any loudspeaker. 🙂

I see that Elmer is empty.  No surprise there

The Elmer is an old bottle. Been empty since people started price gouging. Now, that bottle of Old Fitz smokes the Elmer. Most recent release of 9yr and you NEED to own this bourbon!

On 8/31/2020 at 11:13 PM, Honeybadger said:

Looks great , sucks about the house and KHorns.

Whatever happened to those beautiful Jubilee''s?

I sold them to a Gentleman from Southern California. Should not have done that. They were nothing short of AMAZING!