La Scala's with Elliptrac 400

So the picture looks the same, but I had to swap out the L and R speakers because they sound better with the tweeters on the outside. Well, I finally got to do some serious listening and used my speaker placement litmus test, which is track 2 (You Still Believe In Me) on the DCC gold CD version of Pet Sounds. When the ring of the bicycle bell is dead center in the already camera focused mono image, it's perfect. If you play around you can get a solid center image using monaural recordings, but that damn bell is always the final arbiter in fine tuning. I'll think it's dead center, and then I'll put on track two, and that damn bicycle bell is in left field. Once it's tuned, the stereo image is a thing of beauty. If you have the DCC version you should give it a try. If you don't I can easily dupe a CDR of it and mail it out to anyone who is curious.

LS correct.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jorjen said:

I sold them to a Gentleman from Southern California. Should not have done that. They were nothing short of AMAZING!

I noticed you use the HO Zephyr also.

I decided to take a chance on it after I found out what it would cost to replace my Dynavector 20x2 HO version. After I tweaked all of the adjustments on the tonearm I was really happy and have no desire to retip the 20x2.

Eventually, when I win the lottery, I will explore low output MC cartridges. Not that it costs a lot to get in the game, but the cost of experimenting is one of a wealthy person. The phono sections of my Counterpoint 3.1 and CJ PV-5 preamps are both top notch so I'll wait till I recuperate from college costs.

2 hours ago, Mr. Daniel Lumas said:

So, are you listening to Return of the Giant Hogweed or The Knife? Genesis w/ Gabriel is a staple in my LP collection.

I’m a big Genesis fan and have just about every album and many solo albums from the members 

Mike  @dirtmudd also loves Genesis and we both like all Prog in general 

I like every song on that Live album - but I do like the rawness of - Musical Box 

Many members feature LPs they play on the Record spinning thread 

5 hours ago, Mr. Daniel Lumas said:

So, are you listening to Return of the Giant Hogweed or The Knife? Genesis w/ Gabriel is a staple in my LP collection.

2 hours ago, Full Range said:

I’m a big Genesis fan and have just about every album and many solo albums from the members 

Mike  @dirtmudd also loves Genesis and we both like all Prog in general 

I like every song on that Live album - but I do like the rawness of - Musical Box 

Many members feature LPs they play on the Record spinning thread 

I think @Full Range prefers

playing with the Musical Box !

She's a lady, she's got time
Brush back your hair and let me get to know your face
She's a lady, she is mine
Oh, brush back your hair and let me get to know your flesh

I've been waiting here for so long
And all this time that passed me by
It doesn't seem to matter now
You stand there with your fixed expression
Casting doubt on all I have to say
Why don't you touch me, touch me
Why don't you touch me, touch me
Touch me now, now, now, now, now
Now, now, now, now, now
Now, now, now, now, now
Now, now, now, now
Now, now, now, now

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

don't see the cj in the photo.. I use the pv7

Just started using my Counterpoint recently to hear the difference, but it was in my system for over 10yrs.

I had Bill Thalmann, who designed the circuit for the PV5, make several improvements (shorten the signal path, faster diodes, better caps). He even drilled holes in the top cover so I could use pinched waist D getter E180CC's in place of the 5965's!

It's in this pic from a few years ago when I was playing around with Altec 604's.

20180918_112309 (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...