Music quality?

JoeJoeThe3rd

17 minutes ago, JoeJoeThe3rd said:

Awesome I like to learn this stuff.

I have completed a 3 year education at an academy for audiovisual media in Germany. I also worked in production studios for movie and music productions. It is a wonderful profession. It combines the auditory and visual senses with modern technology and creativity. If you feel attracted to it, then find a way to work in this field, good luck !

1 minute ago, MicroMara said:

I have completed a 3 year education at an academy for audiovisual media in Germany. I also worked in production studios for movie and music productions. It is a wonderful profession. It combines the auditory and visual senses with modern technology and creativity. If you feel attracted to it, then find a way to work in this field, good luck !

Thank you kind sir. Yes it’s one thing I could actually see myself doing as a profession. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Well I’m listening to it on tidal which is suppose to be equal to cd quality. Or atleast I think masters is. Yes I’m starting to do a little research on how important your room is. But on the tidal desktop app they don’t have the critical listening mode like they do on the phone app. So I’m trying to figure out which way would acually sound better, either through the phone app Bluetooth or hardwired through thround the desktop app on windows 10. I’m guessing Windows 10 cause it’s not Bluetooth. If anyone knows this question for sure please be kind enough to answer it for me. Also, thank you guys for all the other answers. I downloaded some hi rez audio from the audiophiliac and it sounds quite lovely, enjoying that as I speak. I think I’m going to end up buying a CD player. Is that the best way to get the beat sounding and best quality Audio. I’ve also heard of the lumen d2 which is like a music streamer that takes music from all of the streaming apps or something but it’s suppose to be better quality than cd, idk about that but what I do know is it would be another 2 grand about. [emoji2369]. What would you guys recommend.

All this streaming probably use CDs as a source. How can they claim they are better than CD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

All this streaming probably use CDs as a source. How can they claim they are better than CD?

I forget the name of the lad but someone did a good review of master vs hifi and he said there’s a big difference but when you level Th r playing field which he noticed from hifi to master the volume was louder so when he turned the volume down to match hifi level the quality increase was only about a 10-15%. That’s how he described it. Which he said it’s quite hard to notice actual better sound quality but it was there but said it was mostly a difference in volume. But it’s just one mans opinion. I don’t know how they do it but when it’s master quality They do something to make it sound better but idk if it’s from a cd or not. Andrew Robison is his name I believe that did the review. 

On 9/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, henry4841 said:

I think these days studios are using the small what is called monitor speakers? Maybe they work as good as the big horns of yesterday but I am a skeptic.   

While some of them do sound good, they are used as Near Field monitors, which helps them take the control room out of the equation. But unless they also use a subwoofer, their bass is anemic below about 60 Hz. with their tiny little 8" "woofers."

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 10:49 PM, JoeJoeThe3rd said:

I’ve also heard of the lumen d2 which is suppose to be better than cd quality. I wonder if this statement is true. I should do some research on it. And YESSSSSA DUDDDE, I’ve said the exact same thing many times. You hear everything and I love it and also feel very lucky. Even hearing things that weren’t intended to be in the album, like say a bird from outside of a Beethoven song or a pianist breathing too hard Before an intense breakdown, or even bombs going off in the background outside of the building where they were recording the song from songs being recorded during world war 2. Well put kind sir, I concur full heartedly and like to hear someone else say what I’ve been saying to myself and other for years. 

Please tell us the names of the "bird outside", "breathing too hard", and "bombs going off" tracks, so we can hear them too!!! I love that kind of stuff!

On 1/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, RandyH000 said:

-

Been spending a lot of time on the computer this summer.  Covid-19 hunker down and then multiple fires filling the valley with smoke and now it's 100 degrees outside.  Wanted to find out more about HiRes files because, well, I have Klipsch speakers!  duh.  So I wanted to learn what all the jargon was before paying for a hi-res download.  My .02:

1. Read this and follow the links for even more detail  https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/high-resolution-audio-everything-you-need-to-know

2. Then I looked at my Sony STR-DN1030 receiver manual and my Oppo 103 manual to see what they were capable of playing.  No sense in buying a high-res file if your equipment won't even play it.  The Sony can handle DSR and HiRes 24/192 plus it will switch automatically depending on what signal it receives. I didn't know this. (which is why you should read the manual!) Ever get a new car but can't find the washer control?  Just sayin'.....

3. The Oppo is made for 24/192 and DSR also.

4. So I went to AcousticSounds (I like their interface better) and bought two HiRes recordings in FLAC 24/192 that I know and love.  (Streaming is not for me).

5. Both pieces of equipment are connected to my home network so I had to download a program for the Windows 7 media player in my desktop to handle the HiRes.  It worked great.

6. The Sony is a little older than the Oppo and it's user interface software is not up to par with the Oppo. The Oppo has a MUCH more modern, sleek look to it including the cover art.  I thought it looked great and would not mind having it up there if say, we had company over so no one would keep asking me what was playing.  The Sony's looked like a DOS program to me.  But, since it's about 5 models from where they are at now, who cares.

7. At first I couldn't even FIND the files.  But, I had nothing better to do and (2hrs later) eventually found that "My Music" and "Media Player" use different file programs.  Needless to say, it took half a day to figure this out and put the FLAC files where I could find them on the Oppo menu.  Phew! I was exhausted from walking back and forth from the living room to the den!

When I finally got the chance to sit and listen, the results were VERY interesting.  Honestly, I didn't know what to expect...

I read today, an earlier post that suggested streaming direct to your receiver vs to some other device is better because it eliminates the middleman so to speak, was that persons opinion.  And that might be true on other receiver/amp/player/speaker/room/set-up combinations.  So literally millions of possible combinations!  There is NO WAY that one set-up will work for every situation.  MY result does not substantiate that opinion.  And is, in fact, why I'm writing this.  On MY system, playing a FLAC file from my PC via my home network sounded better to me by using the Oppo-to-Sony.  

So... before you go changing all the settings on your equipment, take a minute to read your manual.  Reset to factory setting if you need to.  Don't be afraid to try different combinations to find the sound YOU like best.  Experiment playing with different sources.  Every system is going to be different.  Every room is different.  Every listener is different.  Otherwise, we'd all have the same system! 

How to achieve the best listening experience will differ from system to system and room to room and most important of all, from listener to listener.  Let YOUR ears tell YOU what YOU like.

So with an optical cord I can’t get Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. I can’t use an HDMI cord with my computer becasue I get a static noise with my speakers otherwise. So I use an optical. With the optical do I get the lossless hofi master quality sound tidal has to offer, the highest quality of music tidal has to offer? Also when I’m using the optical cord am I using the Dac in the reciver or the sound card in my motherboard? I use an anthem mrx720 and external power parasound a31. Thanks.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:55 PM, Tony Whitlow said:

Streaming sources like Tidal or Quboz do not use a CD as the source. They are using the digital file provided by the recording company/artist.

CD playback is inferior to streaming because...................

1) the CD itself has errors on it. It is not "bit perfect". It is a "pressed" disc which has imperfections just like LP has imperfections

2) the lasers reading the CD do not read the data perfectly. Simply reading the CD with lasers creates errors.

3) the CD player itself has its own noise and distortion. An additional component in the signal chain always adds its own noise & distortion to the equation.

4) the set of cables between the CD player and amplifier are also eliminated when streaming directly to the amplifier

In order to take advantage of Hi_Res streaming to the fullest extent you will need an amplifier/receiver that can accept the streamed file directly. It needs an Ethernet port.

You cannot get the highest quality from streaming a Hi_Res digital file from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

You cannot get the highest quality from streaming a Hi_Res digital file to your PC/Laptop browser. Master Quality Authenticate (MQA) files for instance do not "unfold" to the highest resolution (if available) when using a browser. Also, the PC is essentially another "source", almost like the CD player - another electronic component in the signal path with extra cables required to connect, albeit without the spinning disc/laser reading involved.

When you rip your CD to a computer you've essentially done 1) & 2) above. You've made a perfect copy - of all the errors on the CD as well as errors created by the lasers reading it.

51 minutes ago, artto said:

CD playback is inferior to streaming because...................

1) the CD itself has errors on it. It is not "bit perfect". It is a "pressed" disc which has imperfections just like LP has imperfections

The CD format also has built-in error-correction. No, that's not interpolation, it is true mathematical error-correction. If error-correction did not work, then you could not transport computer code by CD-ROM. Audio CD error-correction is not identical to CD-ROM error-correction, but it is the same basic idea.

Some CD players may interpolate if they encounter an error that cannot be corrected, but errors of that magnitude are extremely rare and generally involve a disk that is physically damaged.

BTW, Internet streaming packets also use error-correction.

2) the lasers reading the CD do not read the data perfectly. Simply reading the CD with lasers creates errors.

Same answer as 1), above.

3) the CD player itself has its own noise and distortion. An additional component in the signal chain always adds its own noise & distortion to the equation.

True. Solved by using a direct digital connection, such as S/PDIF or AES/EBU, HDMI, etc.

4) the set of cables between the CD player and amplifier are also eliminated when streaming directly to the amplifier

In order to take advantage of Hi_Res streaming to the fullest extent you will need an amplifier/receiver that can accept the streamed file directly. It needs an Ethernet port.

True, up to the final sentence. As in 3), there are other digital connections that are bit-perfect.

You cannot get the highest quality from streaming a Hi_Res digital file from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

Correct. Bluetooth audio uses a compression scheme similar to MP3 etc.

When you rip your CD to a computer you've essentially done 1) & 2) above. You've made a perfect copy - of all the errors on the CD as well as errors created by the lasers reading it.

Not necessarily; same answer as 1) and 2).