Got 1974-76 Klipschorns upgrades

Gregcook777

The speakers sound perfect to me but friend says upgrade to Crites cross and new woofs but they were in art studio barely used and sound perfect 

im getting Vincent 500 integrated amp only 50 watts and Dac but do I need to upgrade speakers or wait

i also thought about just selling for 3000 as they are worth it and maybe spend double on 70th anniversaries Khorns as I’ve seen some for 6-7k used

help please

doorwayministryatgmail

29F0F08C-2865-4799-8CFA-DEF6CCC49DCF.jpeg

Edited by Gregcook777
Forgot tag

Yes, the crossover networks should probably be replaced.

Contrary to popular belief, capacitors actually last longer when they are used frequently. I know that is true in vacuum tube amplifiers. The capacitors need to be "re-formed" after prolonged time of not being used. I'm not sure to what extent that may be true in a passive device like a crossover network. Maybe someone here can jump in and clarify that. But 45+ years of mostly non-use is probably not a good thing.

If the price you got these at was low enough you might consider upgrading as much as you can to current standards, drivers/horns & network.

I think the conclusion starts with your intro: "the speakers sound perfect to me".

I would not bother changing woofers, unless they are damaged.

As far as the crossover, you are probably using a type A balancing network. So there are only a couple of capacitors. re-fresh them. (if it is a type AA, there are is another). It is a simple DIY task and you don't need to get anything boutique. If you want, you can bypass them (a small cap in parallel) if you want to get fancy. Search the threads for "bypass". If the total cost is more than $35-50 (for a type A), then you have gone overboard. Please note, that not everyone will agree with me. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

Oh wow Tom. Thanks. That I will try. 

Yeah I join this audio club here and everyone saying I need to do this and do that but as far as I’m concerned, the speaker sound perfect so I’ll just do that and save money and be happy, I will get a better receiver that Vincent 500, I was a little concerned that was only 50 W but I think that’s enough I do like to play it loud

I’m also getting a dak and I think that’s it

They’re pushing me to get vinyl and a record player but I think I’m just gonna stay with streaming high definition Amazon

I found that gives a better signal

Thanks again

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gregcook777 said:

Thanks 

yeah I’m checking that. I think Crites cross top of line are 500 and components can be another 1500. Ugh that’s almost as much as what I could have bought those used 70th anniversaries Khorns 

1000 less 

If you are going to spend that kind of money, there are a number of other things that will have a much more substantial impact, much more. 

Spend some time searching the threads.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

Hate to say it but all upgrades around here eventually lead to getting a K402 horn sitting on top of a Jubilee, MWM, or quarter pie bass bin. That's the best.

K-horns are great. I would enjoy them as they are and if you feel the need to go a step farther proceed as above.

BTW my K-horns are highly modified so... (but I also have quarter pies).

• Like 1

Hi,

Otherwise you can join @Trey Cannon, he will tell you what to do 👍

He is an engineer at the Klipsch factory Hope Arkansas and he repackages the Network of Heritage speakers to refurbish them with modern equipment. The work is excellent, respects the origin and is not expensive.

You can contact him there >>>  crossover.repair@gmail.com

or here   >>>  trey.cannon@klipsch.com

• Like 1