Fireplaces

Edgar

On 9/1/2020 at 3:50 PM, rockhound said:

I don't like having TV's above the fireplace

somehow, having a tv above the fireplace doesn't seem like a wise thing to do. The dust and heat ....

Our fireplace is not for ambiance.... it is our furnace. We sit by it. The A/V equipment is on the opposite wall.

8 minutes ago, blissann said:

There is something really relaxing about watching an open fire burn- it wouldn't be the primary heating source of the house. I find it very relaxing after hard work day, I've been sitting in front of it and just watching movie or writing my school project. Actually my fireplace is what I want at the end of the day.

You are right.....very relaxing.

• Like 1

Our laat house had a Vermont Castings wood stove at the end of the dining room here in North Georgia. We had a gas fireplace by our entryway (would make more sense if you saw it). The year after the first wife passed away, we had an especially cold spell. The heat pump wasn't quite doing it, and I slept in the dining room by the wood stove. The back end of the house was pretty chilly.

I got to where I could have a good fire going in the morning and could close the damper... and still had enough coals to get it going easily when I got home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

I got to where I could have a good fire going in the morning and could close the damper... and still had enough coals to get it going easily when I got home.

We have a 2cu/ft Englander woodstove. We can almost make charcoal by closing the flue damper and shutting down the air.