Fireplaces

Edgar

My doctor told me that the stress from my job is destroying my health, and that I should retire. I'm 61. So this morning I browsed real estate listings for retirement houses west of Saint Louis, as far as Columbia, MO. And I have just one question:

Why on earth do they keep putting a fireplace in the corner of the living room, completely ruining the house for Klipschorns or Jubilees?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Think false corners or wing extensions...a simple one-sided false corner extension attached to one side of a bass bin is pretty easy to do.  I think Tom (Preston Tom) did this with his Khorns--one side was a free side, so he built a "T" wall on along a wall for the Khorn bass bin in question.  A big bookcase at 90 degrees to the wall--filled with books on one or both sides also works as a backstop.  Remember that it only needs to come up as high as the bass bin itself.

Sorry to hear about your doc's recommendation.  I punched out over six years ago when I was in my mid 50s.  I think that I'm going to live much longer and in much better health because of it.  I reasoned that I didn't need a regular stream of new automobiles and yearly cruises (which I intensely dislike anyway).  It was a good decision--I've not looked back for a minute.  The health issue thing really comes on quickly when it happens--and it's best to listen to doc.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The health issue thing really comes on quickly when it happens--and it's best to listen to doc.

Amen to that. The past two years have been the most frightening of my life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edgar said:

Why on earth do they keep putting a fireplace in the corner of the living room, completely ruining the house for Klipschorns or Jubilees?

First good luck to you.

Second is I don't get the fireplace AT ALL in deep south Texas. I wanted to remove mine but was 2 sq ft short on left over, non-available tile.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, Edgar said:

My doctor told me that the stress from my job is destroying my health, and that I should retire. I'm 61. So this morning I browsed real estate listings for retirement houses west of Saint Louis, as far as Columbia, MO. And I have just one question:

No matter the location they are ALWAYS in the way....

On 8/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, Edgar said:

I'm actually wanting this configuration in my next home. I don't like having TV's above the fireplace and most living rooms are not configured for a fireplace on one wall and a wall with corners for said Klipsch and TV.

• Like 1

This is one of those reasons when we built a new house, I didn't want ANY of my stuff in the living room.  We worked with different house plans and manipulated a few into the one we liked so it allowed an upstairs "music room" that's 15' x 32'.  All I have in the living room is a pair of ads L300C's on a shelf ran off of an older Yamaha A/V receiver in 2-channel mode.  (I care nothing about surround stuff anymore after 25 years in the industry)  We do have a TV above the fireplace but no one really cares as we aren't big TV watchers or movie watchers.  Now, in saying all of that, when buying a pre-built house, that's the crappy part of trying to find something that works for sure.  Fireplaces are a "focal point" that apparently everyone is supposed to gather around and chit-chat.  Uhh,...no.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Fireplaces are a "focal point" that apparently everyone is supposed to gather around and chit-chat.  Uhh,...no.

I believe that activity died-out with the Neanderthal.

When I lived in Vermont I had a functional wood stove that was quite charming. But in the last few houses that I've had with in-wall fireplaces, I put a stereo shelf in front of the fireplace, with a TV on top. The fireplace was never used for its intended purpose.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I believe that activity died-out with the Neanderthal.

When I lived in Vermont I had a functional wood stove that was quite charming. But in the last few houses that I've had with in-wall fireplaces, I put a stereo shelf in front of the fireplace, with a TV on top. The fireplace was never used for its intended purpose.

I agree.  Realtors still say "it helps with resale value".  I'm not really sure why in the south with it being so hot.  I put in a propane tank that just feeds my oven and the fireplace as I didn't want to have to jack with cleaning a fireplace, cutting wood, etc.  I think we used it once or twice last winter; and it's remote control to boot  ha  Our last house didn't have one but it was an open floorplan style with no workable corners to speak of.  My upstairs room does have corners on the short wall (15 foot) but I wasn't making it for Klipschorns, etc.  

Hi,

I too have been retired for 1 year, enjoy.

At home, the fireplace is a bit on the side, it is in white Provence stone (because I live in France) and African green granite, there are 2.5 tons of stones.

The fireplace is good to calm down and watch the fire during winter evenings, it is good for your health to dream in front of the fire, found AK6s and you will no longer need (too much) corners.

ucv9.jpg

mzs1.jpg

• Like 3

A fireplace was a "must have" when we were looking and this house fit the criteria. That was 32 years ago and an i bet we have had less than 40 fires is that time and most in the first 5 years. We now have a fire Christmas eve only but the last 3 or 4 years it has been too warm for a fire. 

On 8/30/2020 at 1:50 PM, Edgar said:

My doc told me I'd be better off with a smoking habit than too much stress. I know he was joking but I got the point.

Fireplaces are awesome, in the right spot. Very few new homes have them, even around here, but a lot of outdoor fireplace have been installed in the past few years.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, MookieStl said:

post-60988-0-50900000-1426725183_thumb.jpg

The builder for my home ('30s) must have owned Belles cuz they fit just right!

1 hour ago, IB Slammin said:

I can see that you have a good flank distance and it works for you.  I often needed a center and they were in the way.  

The Mook also used a center channel. Unfortunately he placed it a bit too close to the fiery pit and - poof, she be gone.

Always was fond of the black ash finish — 

• Like 1