Help Selecting a Receiver

Newbie01

Hey. I am brand new to home audio setup. I just bought my first speaker set : https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71MF2CZG4uL.pdf

I had hoped to connect it directly into my DVD player, as it has 5.1 outputs. It is a Sony DVP-S530D, old but excellent player (hence it still running flawlessly).

Apparently, I need a receiver, as the plugs on the back of the dvd player are single plug points for each speaker, (not positive and negative). I need, a receiver, apparently. However, I have no freaking idea what to buy and I cannot afford to spend $500 on a receiver (more like $250 or so). I need a receiver that is compatible with the speakers mentioned and the DVD player mentioned (by accepting audio outputs described and see on the attached photo of the back of the dvd player). I have seen tons of reviews saying Onkyo's now fail in a few years of use. So, based on reviews, I am leaning toward Denon, but they are super expensive. So, if anyone can help me find an inexpensive compatible receiver, thank you!

Thank you for anyone willing to help out a newbie!

DVD Player.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. I looked around there after your post and saw some receivers that were interesting. I will consider these refurbs over a new purchase, for sure.

I do want to check, though - Will the inexpensive receiver I mentioned work (on a technical level - insert words I don't know how to apply in this context, like watts, ohms, etc.) or will it not with the speakers I specified?

Next, can you give me a few tips on how to get the most out of my new speakers? Like, what specs or features will really make these speakers worth having? I am not excited about spending more bucks on entertainment (even buying the speakers causes me stress), but I don't want to waste the purchase by using a receiver that damages them or gives me crap sound output. You know?

Again - Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Newbie01 said:

I do want to check, though - Will the inexpensive receiver I mentioned work (on a technical level - insert words I don't know how to apply in this context, like watts, ohms, etc.) or will it not with the speakers I specified?

Yes it will work as it does have "multi channel inputs" to hook up your DVD player. For $50.00 you aren't out much should you not like it and can always sell down the road.

Today's technology is much cheaper than years past. What you really should be considering are components with HDMI inputs / outputs. There are tons of used Blu-Ray players on Craigslist, Ebay, etc.. that can be had for $50.00 give or take. These will play DVD's as well as Blu-Ray discs. If you go this route, it's just one HDMI cable instead of 6 RCA cables you'd have to connect.

11 minutes ago, Newbie01 said:

Next, can you give me a few tips on how to get the most out of my new speakers? Like, what specs or features will really make these speakers worth having? I am not excited about spending more bucks on entertainment (even buying the speakers causes me stress), but I don't want to waste the purchase by using a receiver that damages them or gives me crap sound output. You know?

71MF2CZG4uL.pdf

Are the speakers wireless or just the subwoofer? Hard to tell from the spec sheet.

Only the sub is wireless. I bought the receiver, just to try it. After messing with it and my dvd player for about 3 hours, I got it to actually play out of all the speakers properly.

My issue is this - I bought these speakers and the receiver, more than for anything else, so that I could hear the sound range of a theater. Did you see the Lord of the Rings in theaters? If so, you may recall how AMAZINGLY chilling the Ring Wraiths were. They had a scream that was so high pitch and terrible, it just scared people to hear it. On every home unit I have heard, it comes through like...well...nothing. Just another sound. It is not high frequency and doesn't cut across all the other sounds of the film, as it did in theaters. I played the scene with them just now and it was disappointing. They just sounded like one more sound in the movie, not some wretched creature that could grab you from your soul. I don't think this was a question of volume, but of range. Does this make any sense? If you had to guess, what am I missing here? Do you have to spend $5k per speaker and buy a $2k receiver to get that sort of effect? Or, is this just a consequence of DVD vs what theater's use as audio format?

Thanks.

Edited by Newbie01

Frankly, you're asking a lot from very tiny speakers if you expect them to recreate a massive movie theater experience.

For Klipsch models, you'll have to go to the Heritage series or the upper end Reference Premiere for that effect at home.

A Blu-ray or UHD player will definitely provide more dynamic range. 

Also, DVD players and receivers have tons of audio options that should be enabled or disabled depending on your speakers, room, etc.  It's worth it to spend some time learning what all those options do.  For example, you'll definitely want to turn off anything labeled 'dynamic compression', 'late night mode' or any variances of that because they'll only choke the sound. 

Also, I would simplify things and use your DVD player's optical or coaxial digital output as long as your receiver has one or both of those inputs. 

10 hours ago, Newbie01 said:

Only the sub is wireless. I bought the receiver, just to try it. After messing with it and my dvd player for about 3 hours, I got it to actually play out of all the speakers properly.

My issue is this - I bought these speakers and the receiver, more than for anything else, so that I could hear the sound range of a theater. Did you see the Lord of the Rings in theaters? If so, you may recall how AMAZINGLY chilling the Ring Wraiths were. They had a scream that was so high pitch and terrible, it just scared people to hear it. On every home unit I have heard, it comes through like...well...nothing. Just another sound. It is not high frequency and doesn't cut across all the other sounds of the film, as it did in theaters. I played the scene with them just now and it was disappointing. They just sounded like one more sound in the movie, not some wretched creature that could grab you from your soul. I don't think this was a question of volume, but of range. Does this make any sense? If you had to guess, what am I missing here? Do you have to spend $5k per speaker and buy a $2k receiver to get that sort of effect? Or, is this just a consequence of DVD vs what theater's use as audio format?

Thanks.

You're OVER THINKING this thing.

Tell us what audio equipment you have.

Buy yourself a Denon if you need one at Accessories 4 less.

You only need to run two cables from your CD Player

and the denon will do the sound processing.

So quit being so vague about what you have.

19 hours ago, Newbie01 said:

Will this receiver work?

Onkyo TX DS676

https://www.cnet.com/products/onkyo-tx-ds676-av-receiver-5-1-channel/

Someone in my neighborhood is selling a used one for like $50.

Did you buy this Onkyo? If so, hopefully you got it's remote.

If you have purchased it, and you have the user's manual use it to tweak/setup system for best sound. If not, you can find it online.

Thanks!

I was asked to write out my configuration. Here it is:

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50UT50 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model)

Receiver: Onky TX-DS676 A/V Receiver 5 Channel

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S530D

Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 Black Reference - Sub is Model R-8SWI (50W), Satellites are all RTP Satellite (50W / 8 Ohm), Center is RTP Center (75 W / 8 Ohm)

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments. I guess I am just expecting too much. The receiver did not come with a remote, but I seem to navigate many options using the display. I downloaded the manual for the receiver and the DVD player and am trying to sort through everything.

I never used an optical cable before, but it appears I can use it to pipe 5.1 from my TV to the Receiver, meaning my streaming Netflix (through TV app) could be surround sound, right? Can you just output audio through a single optic cable or do you have to connect that digital audio connection or coax cable too?

Also, is it really better to use optical rather than RCA to connect the 5.1 from the DVD to the receiver? The DVD player has outputs for 5.1 separately grouped, with each channel having its own RCA plug (see attached). I did manage to get that to flow to the speakers (after much effort). I would hate to start over, but if the sound quality is better, more stable, or something, than I am for it. The DVD player does have an optic output.

DVD Player.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like you are coming along nicely . Setting up takes some time to make discovery and some things fall into place. Think trial and error a good way to get it to

your spot on moments. You are almost answering your self. The manual and exploring can be fun. Remote may be found

eBay looking around.

Think your on the right track.

Enjoy the tweaking.

Edited by billybob
Really like the Panasonic plasma 50

Trying. It is hard to foresee what will happen. I am going to have to make myself a cheat sheet, like:

Playing CD with DVD Player: Hit X, then Y

Playing DVD with DVD Player: Hit Y, then B...

You know?

I am hoping it will work out, eventually to be something nice. I suppose I can't complain about the speakers. They sound all right, but don't have that range I wanted (imagined having at my meager means).

To get that big theatre experience, you need big theatre speakers, and a good receiver or power amplifier to drive them.  If your budget won’t stretch that far at this point, start saving.  Put some money aside every month, and earmark it for audio bargains.  That way, when you find a bargain, you’ll have the cash to grab it.

Look at items for sale on this forum, and check out usaudiomart.com.  You can find all kinds of deals on there.  If you spend much time on here, you can learn a lot.

Welcome to the Forum!