Thoughts on Sansui?

Invidiosulus

I just wondered if anybody has some experience with Sansui speakers and what they sound like??

A friend of mine has some with a 12" woofer and some assortment of mids and tweeters but I havn't gotten a good chance to listen to them.

I know maxg has some of the larger ones but I'm also interested in the smaller ones, with an 8" woofer or so.

I'm just curious as to how they sound compared to Klipsch or older JBL.

Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have.

Peace, Josh

Well you are entering shakey ground here. It seems Sansui have a reputation only for their amps and most specifically not for their speakers. I have no idea why this is - but they sure work for me.

The nicest things about them - in my opinon are:

1. Nobody wants them so you can pick them up for a song.

2. They are built like brick outhouses - quite puts the Heresy to shame.

Notice I have not mentioned their sound. This is not because they dont sound great - they do in my opinion - but I am kinda alone on that.

I would say that if you can find a pair going cheap (like $10 to $50) them pick them up - what do you have to lose?

I would love to find someone else who has them and rates them as much as I do. Even the Sansui lovers forum drew a blank on that.

I would have assumed I was barking mad - but so many people who have visited have agreed both that they are superior to the heresy's and that they do indeed sound great that I am beginning to think there is something else afoot here.

Maybe I am entering the twilight zone...

The sound from various models of Sansui speakers varies all over the sonic map. Regardless of size they ranged from gawd awful to very good indeed. Before buying any of the older Sansui speakers you will need to try them with your own equipment and preferably in your listening room.

Max,

I know a guy who picked up a pair of Sansui PC-C100 II's at a yard sale cheap.

(He almost had four.)

I tried to look for pics on the net to no avail, but I am geussing that these are high-quality.

He said the 12"s are cast baskets, kinda reminds him of JBL stuff.

He's using these off a cable box for HT with a SE 6BQ5 amp of all things.

The speakers ported at 25hz, and he has the LF dialed in on the amp at 25hz.

He says it's quite ballsy for 2.5 watts.

Lynn is right, there is about a billion variations and ranges of Sansui's out there.

There is some good quality Sansui speaker in the higher ranges.

(I should find some tweeters for my SP-2000's.)

Are these the "jet motor on a stick" speakers you seen recently?

http://www.avantgarde-usa.com/solo.html

You know Max, so much of what a speaker does has to do with the room. It could just be as simple as the Sansuis coupling to your room better based on placement.

Have you tried flipping those Heresies upside down yet, pulling the speakers to the edge of your cabinet?

Thanks for the info guys,

I've picked up a pair of the smaller ones off of ebay.

I'm planning on putting them on my desk and using them with my computer(no promedias for me thank you very much).

I'll guess I'll find out what they sound like when they get here, they were only about $50 and shipping wasn't bad either.

If they are really awful once they show up I guess I'll take them to a pawn shop or maybe I'll track down some of you guys who live here in orlando and leave them on your porch in the middle of the night11.gif

Peace, Josh

• 19 years later...

I have a pair of SP-2000s, sounding a little bit muffled. Considering how these were brought back after a vacation in Viet Nam in the late '60s, I'm pretty sure the crossovers need new caps.

@Invidiosulus I believe I still have those you got boxed up in storage.

SP-2000 bel9ow. You gotta love those old wood grills.

sp-2000.jpg

23 hours ago, Marvel said:

I have a pair of SP-2000s, sounding a little bit muffles. Considering how these were brought back after a vacation in Viet Nam in the late '60s, I'm pretty sure the crossovers need new caps.

@Invidiosulus I believe I still have those you got boxed up in storage.

SP-2000 bel9ow. You gotta love those old wood grills.

sp-2000.jpg

I think the small ones I had were SP-50.

They have really cheap drivers, maybe an 8” and a little tweeter.

I think maybe just a single cap on the tweeter.

almost worth putting some modern drivers in those cabs.

almost...

On 2/27/2022 at 12:10 PM, Great said:

I have a pair of sp z9's purchased in 1985.

There were a lot of good speakers manufactured  in that era . I just replaced the surrounds on a set of 1982 TDC 20’s  ,fired them up and  they sound really good , but I’m keeping  my Forte’s. Welcome🤓

• 1 year later...

I picked up a pair of SP200s for $25 last year. I use them in a small bedroom that I call the lounge. Two chairs and a TV with the sound running through the Sansuis. Dialog is very clear and music is really nice too. Warm sounding and good bass. Detail is fine, good enough to enjoy. I really like them. Far exceeded my expectations.