K55M Midrange Driver Blown?

The back center cover is probably loose. Not uncommon on the K-55M. It can be super glued back in place. How to videos are on youtube. Tap on the cover and see if it rattles. Try to fix if so, nothing to lose trying. Just do not want to get any glue on voice coil. Been addressed here before as well. Google k-55-m rattle fix. Seems others have fixed with silicone. The video I saw years ago used super glue but it involves taking the driver apart. Either way should work. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/184416-k-55m-midrange-has-a-rattle/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, Davecv41 said:

Measure it's resistance, and the resistance of the midrange on the other speaker. What is the resistance, are they both measuring the same? That's a starting point.

Thanks - I took your advice and they’re both good. That said, I found the problem while reconnecting the one that had an issue to the crossover. Apparently, while moving them into my car after buying them, I bent the crossover connections on one speaker upward. These being new to me, I thought that’s just the way they were until I looked at the other speaker and they were flat/horizontal. When I put pressure on the connections I could recreate the sound and also fix it entirely. Anyway, new crossovers coming in soon and, in the meantime, they’re both working. Thanks. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, henry4841 said:

The back center cover is probably loose. Not uncommon on the K-55M. It can be super glued back in place. How to videos are on youtube. Tap on the cover and see if it rattles. Try to fix if so, nothing to lose trying. Just do not want to get any glue on voice coil. Been addressed here before as well. Google k-55-m rattle fix. Seems others have fixed with silicone. The video I saw years ago used super glue but it involves taking the driver apart. Either way should work. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/184416-k-55m-midrange-has-a-rattle/

Yes, thank you. I fixed it and also tested the resistance while it was out (it was fine) but found the actual issue while putting it back into the speaker - bent crossover wiring connections.