Acoustic archeology

Bosco-d-gama

That’s really interesting.  I wonder if the ringing of the bluestones is part of the soundscape of Stonehenge?  In other words, although the scientists’ 3D printed stones may have had the exact scaled-down dimensions of the actual stones, would the lack of the ringing property have changed the results of the experiments?

Mysterious monuments like Stonehenge make me wonder how much science and technology was known to the ancients, and how much was lost to history.  Greek Fire is just one example.  It had some properties that resembled napalm, but it was definitely a different substance.  It was a very effective weapon, because it stuck to whatever it was dropped or sprayed on and once lit, it could not be extinguished with water.  If the deck of your ship was burning with fire that could not be extinguished, it would have been a terrifying experience, and was often a final experience for the unfortunate sailors whose ships were attacked with it.

Greek Fire showed up around 672 AD, and was used extensively in battle until around the year 1200.  Then, it appears that the formula was lost or destroyed, and it has never been seen since, despite the best efforts of modern chemists.

10 hours ago, Islander said:

That’s really interesting.  I wonder if the ringing of the bluestones is part of the soundscape of Stonehenge?  In other words, although the scientists’ 3D printed stones may have had the exact scaled-down dimensions of the actual stones, would the lack of the ringing property have changed the results of the experiments?

Mysterious monuments like Stonehenge make me wonder how much science and technology was known to the ancients, and how much was lost to history.  Greek Fire is just one example.  It had some properties that resembled napalm, but it was definitely a different substance.  It was a very effective weapon, because it stuck to whatever it was dropped or sprayed on and once lit, it could not be extinguished with water.  If the deck of your ship was burning with fire that could not be extinguished, it would have been a terrifying experience, and was often a final experience for the unfortunate sailors whose ships were attacked with it.

Greek Fire showed up around 672 AD, and was used extensively in battle until around the year 1200.  Then, it appears that the formula was lost or destroyed, and it has never been seen since, despite the best efforts of modern chemists.

I’d question intentions. Especially during the Stonehenge time frame their experiences with auditory variations must have been limited to natural phenomena like echoes. They had not built massive enclosed stone structures to know how those materials affected sounds (unlike Egypt). And the purpose of the monument had to be more astronomical/spiritual. If any auditory changes occurred with its construction they must have been happenstance like icing on the cake. Assuming they exist as posited by this paper assigning them ancient intentions is a stretch IMHO.