Costco Sale R-12SW

Jumper25

Hello Gents,

I am brand new to this forum and relatively new to HT. I recently purchased my first home and always wanted to set up a immersive HT set up. Once I dipped my foot in, I was trapped in the rabbit hole of sound glory. I was lucky enough to be gifted tower speakers and a sub that were old but basically brand new as they were barely used. Since then I’ve been adding speakers and I can’t stop myself!

Currently I’m up to a 5.1 system. I’m adding atmos heights (500SA just purchased yesterday and en route). Now to piss off my gf even more I want to add a 2nd sub to complete the system to 5.2.2. Currently I have a Syn Sub-12 that really rocks my space. In terms of wattage 300 continuous peak 650 it compares to the reference series 12 and SPL 12s. 

Just needing some insight on next sub purchase. My space is realtively small. The Sub 12 sounds to me much better while watching movies. Listening to music is good but doesn’t pack the punch I want. I want to feel that bass in my seats. I am on the fence between a R-100SW or the R12-SW From Costco for only $189!

1. if I mis-match the 12” and R100 10” would there be a noticable difference in terms of the subs being out of tune and not matching? I tried to research but most ppl have dual set ups with matching identical subs. I don’t really need another 12” so I want a 10” just to even out the room a little and bit more punch. 

2. The Costco sale R-12SW $189 is such a great deal. I found out that is a older model that is now discontinued. I have also read here on the forums about so much problems with the sub amps. Is the issue with all the 10,12,15” subs or isolated in a specfic series? 

Note: Buying a SVS sub is not in my plans as I prefer to stay with all Klipsch matching set up. 

Current Set Up:

Reciever:  Pioneer VSX-934 7.2

Front:        Klipsch RF-82 II 

Center:     Klipsch R-34C 

Sub:          Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Atmos:      Klipsch RP-500SA

Surround: Klipsch R-51M

TV:            Samsung Q70R 82”

248624D7-7C83-4F5F-B234-03E3741A0A77.png

• Like 1

I would look for another Sub-12.  Everyone I've read about who has had one always says they're a great sub.  Check eBay, craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.  They come up for sale pretty often. 

Also, there's more than just "gents" here. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 7:26 AM, wuzzzer said:

I would look for another Sub-12.  Everyone I've read about who has had one always says they're a great sub.  Check eBay, craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.  They come up for sale pretty often. 

Also, there's more than just "gents" here. 

I didn't even think about looking for another sub 12, ill consider that. Thanks!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Where are you located?  There's one on the Minneapolis craigslist right now. 

I live in Dallas Tx. I think I’ve decided on a R-110SW. Found them on amazon for 299$. I wanted that front port due to placement. Hopefully I don’t have any humming or amp issues others have reported. 

Thanks for your help wuzzzer. I’ve seen your your comments all over the forum. Awesome to have a great ppl and a great community to help noobs like me!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

While your regular speakers should be from the same brand and series to keep the timbre consistent between them (so they sing in harmony, so to speak), it’s not essential to have the sub from the same series or even brand, since it does not cover the same frequency range as the other speakers.  This gives you more flexibility when subwoofer shopping.

However, this does strongly suggest that your two subs should match, for the very same reason that your regular speakers should match each other.  Since you will be setting the volume at a level that suits you, don’t worry about having too much subwoofage.  That’s why subs have a level control.

Just last month, I got a second sub myself, just like the one I already had.  They sound great together, and not overpowering in any way.  Besides, if you have two subs, the driver in each sub will be moving half as far (for the same total volume).  This will cut the distortion in half, which will give you a clearer sense of what’s producing those bass tones.

• Like 1