The 45 tube amplifier

henry4841

There was a reference by another member on the 45 tube who I do not wish to respond to. Everyone should make their own decision on what to believe. I love my SE 45 tube amplifier as I am sure that others on this forum that do too. I built my 45 tube amplifier after reading what George Anderson of Tubelab.com had to say about the 45 tube in his design. George is a well respected tube designer on a technical forum. Below is what he has to say about the 45 tube in his amplifier design. I am well aware there are those that disagree as there is on any subject and I respect their opinion especially in that audio is such a subjective subject. I just though I would post my reason for building a 45 tube amplifier and for those like me that have and love their amplifier. I am not saying it is my favorite tube amplifier but I do love the sound and wide soundstage it presents. I do not wish to argue with those that disagree but just remember there is no perfect amplifier for everyone. http://tubelab.com/designs/tubelab-se/applications/      https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/

"The 45 is the cleanest sounding tube that I have tried. These definitely don't all sound the same. There are different sound characteristics between two tubes of identical construction and brand. I am sure these differences are also quite dependent upon personal preference and the type of music being played. My favorite pair of 45's are "Westinghouse Radio tubes" that were made in Canada. These have a "close your eyes and you are there" realism that the others can't match. I have a pair of Tung Sol's that come close.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, seti said:

I built a two stage amp interstage coupling that can take 45 or 2a3. I favor the 45 but 2a3 is no slouch. Awesome triodes. I want to build on the same topology but for 50/300b.

sss.jpg

Really nice professional looking build. I have always wanted to hear an amplifier using an interstage transformer instead of capacitor coupling but those things are expensive. As you may have guessed I am a cheap diy'er. A build to be very proud of!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Really nice professional looking build. I have always wanted to hear an amplifier using an interstage transformer instead of capacitor coupling but those things are expensive. As you may have guessed I am a cheap diy'er. A build to be very proud of!

After you build something all you see are the mistakes but thanks for the kind words. My friends at EMIA helped me with schematic and parts. There really isn't much there. Nothing wrong with building on the cheap which is why I started building as I could never afford what I wanted to hear. Good luck and keep building. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, jcmusic said:

I have had a 300B amp and a 2A3 amp and both were really nice sounding amps, when I got my 45 amp everything changed the amp journey was over and still is. My Korneff 45 amp sounds better than any other amp I have ever heard in my system and that's why it stays!!!

Yes, the 45 will ruin you.  🙂 🙃 😎

• Like 3

I have some RCA broadcast push-pull-parallel 45 amps I hope to get across the restoration finish line before much longer.  They claimed "25W peak without objectionable distortion", seems wishful thinking!   Particularly with modern full range speakers.  At least the La Scala will barely need a thing from them.  

On 9/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, EMRR said:

I have some RCA broadcast push-pull-parallel 45 amps I hope to get across the restoration finish line before much longer.  They claimed "25W peak without objectionable distortion", seems wishful thinking!   Particularly with modern full range speakers.  At least the La Scala will barely need a thing from them.  

Those RCA amps are rare birds. Below is a parallel singled ended 45 amp with gas regulators. No, it's not mine. 

45 PSE.jpg

• Like 3

When I had my Khorns, I went from solid state(ugh), to Welborne Laurel 300b's, to Welborne Moondog 2A3's, then to Welborne StarChief 45's with Emission Lab tubes, and I was done.

The purity of sound was sublime.  I had my stereo club over and everyone was amazed that I was using less that 1 watt.  Midrange vocals, especially female vocals are to die for.  Truly holographic.  I still have the Laurels and the StarChiefs but am using KT120's to push my Tekton Double Impacts.  I can't bring myself to get rid of these amps, especially the 45's.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, henry4841 said:

I love my SE 45 tube amplifier as I am sure that others on this forum that do too. I built my 45 tube amplifier after reading what George Anderson of Tubelab.com had to say about the 45 tube in his design. George is a well respected tube designer on a technical forum.

I have listened to a 45 tube amp and next to a 2A3 , it is quite good , if not equal , that should say something -

On 9/23/2020 at 12:18 AM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I totally understand what you are saying, and fully believe you. 

All my amplifier 45 experience and comments are referring to the vintage ST Type 45s, NOS or used tested-strong.  I don't like them in an optimized amplifier.

Re: your use of Emission Labs Tubes :  The EML 45 version is a horse of a different color. 

An " EML 45 "  is EML's own re-make,  at a premium charge -  and it is not like a usual vintage ST45 !!!   How much in cost, per tube today $250?  $350 ?  $400 ? $500 ?  Does anyone know?????

Last time I checked they were $600 for s pair of the solid plates...

• Like 1