CORNWALL IV, an integrated amp and a streamer

Julien D

Hello! Happy to connect here. Just a short message to say that I enjoy listening to music and wanted to invest in speakers I could keep. So I bought a pair of Cornwall IV. And well, they are coming home in a month and I just don’t know what to plug on it. I listen to Jazz, pop, electronic and classical music. I like good bass and I am not searching for the most neutral neither transparent sound. Overall, good experience minus listening fatigue if I may avoid it. For a while, I thought it was “smart” to buy a good tube amp with no DAC as the technology can change. But a solution like a Naim Uniti Atom was also interesting for other practical reasons.

-> Anyone tried the Primaluna EVO300 integrated amp with the Cornwall IV?

->  What kind of streamer / DAC could I pair the Klipsch with if with a tube amplifier? I will mostly listen to Spotify Connect and Tidal. And hope to plug my TV on this DAC if that’s relevant.

Would you be kind enough to share your experience in few words?

Cheers from Hong Kong, Julien

Edited by Julien D
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum. You have chosen an excellent speaker. I think you would be wiser to keep the DAC and amp separate. If you are budget conscious, the Bluesound Node 2i is a good streamer. The built in DAC is not bad, but there's room for improvement down the road. If you are set on an integrated and not separates, look at Line Magnetic which should be readily available in Hong Kong.

Shakey 

• Like 1

The title of this thread describes my stereo, and it is a great combo. Just set a budget and go for highest signal to noise ratio and lowest harmonic distortion you can afford and enjoy. The Heritage stuff is so sensitive, do not sleep on a power conditioner, or a weight/clamp on your turntable. Happy hunting/listening!

E117A5E8-1A55-4679-804C-71F1CF8F691F.jpeg

• Like 4

Lol did you just quote me and then completely change my quote, and then agree with “me” (yourself)?? That’s weird, man. Doesn’t have to be McIntosh. And some people might disagree w my advice...”best” is pretty subjective. But to my ears, if your heart is set on an integrated paired w heritage, high S/N and low distortion sounds great. The IVs don’t get “dry” “analytical” or “bright” or whatever other adjective people worry about.

Edited by salbake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, salbake said:

Lol did you just quote me and then completely change my quote, and then agree with “me” (yourself)?? That’s weird, man. Doesn’t have to be McIntosh. And some people might disagree w my advice...”best” is pretty subjective. But to my ears, if you’re heart is set on an integrated paired w heritage, high S/N and low distortion sounds great. The IVs don’t get “dry” “analytical” or “bright” or whatever other adjective people worry about.

If you don't think McIntosh is best with Klipsch then maybe you should swap amp for one of the 'blue light' specials often recommended here.

2 hours ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

If you don't think McIntosh is best with Klipsch

I know McIntosh is great with Klipsch Heritage but can't say that it is the "best" combo in Audioland.

3 hours ago, salbake said:

”best” is pretty subjective

Only the ears of the beholder can make that judgement if he has heard all other amplifiers with Klipsch Heritage.

There are too many "exacts"(opinions) in this hobby that can't be substantiated.  Like what you like and roll with it.

Bill

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

If you don't think McIntosh is best with Klipsch then maybe you should swap amp for one of the 'blue light' specials often recommended here.

I’m not a McIntosh fan boi nor am I a McIntosh basher. You like what you like and that’s ok. Do I think there are better amps for less $$? Absolutely. But McIntosh is a good choice, as are so many other amps. Your narrow minded posts do you a disservice.

Shakey

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, salbake said:

The title of this thread describes my stereo, and it is a great combo. Just set a budget and go for highest signal to noise ratio and lowest harmonic distortion you can afford and enjoy. The Heritage stuff is so sensitive, do not sleep on a power conditioner, or a weight/clamp on your turntable. Happy hunting/listening! [Love the photo, McIntosh and Klipsch Heritage,  always a good match]

E117A5E8-1A55-4679-804C-71F1CF8F691F.jpeg

So in this quote function you can always change the quote. If you add to a quote, you should reflect that it's been changed [like I did in brackets above]. Sometimes it is inadvertent because of device being used, etc. 

4 hours ago, willland said:

I know McIntosh is great with Klipsch Heritage but can't say that it is the "best" combo in Audioland.,

-----  Sansui --Scot-Yamaha-Crown-SAE-Luxman--Akai-BGW-Rotel -Classe-Pioneer-HK-Denon-Onkyo- Nad -Primaluna-Dynaco  ,  are no slouches either , and the list is endless , if one thing is true is that klpsch speakers are very well  adapted to everything out there , and only a few watts are needed   , or tons of watts   , whether Tubes or SS  -

PWK 's favorite amp was BGW -  In 1978  , when, he was awarded the Audio Engineering Society’s Silver Medal for his contributions to speaker design and distortion measurement.-

https://newscenter.nmsu.edu/Articles/view/13333/paul-w-klipsch-museum-at-nmsu-to-hold-open-house-thursday

Man, seated, working on equipment

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

So in this quote function you can always change the quote. If you add to a quote, you should reflect that it's been changed [like I did in brackets above]. Sometimes it is inadvertent because of device being used, etc. 

okay...but it’s kind of weird that it displays as “salbake said”...and I said absolutely none of that. And all of “what I said” is at the discretion of another poster? 🤷‍♂️

17 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

-----  Sansui --Scot-Yamaha-Crown-SAE-Luxman--Akai-BGW-Rotel -Classe-Pioneer-HK-Denon-Onkyo- Nad -Primaluna-Dynaco  ,  are no slouches either , and the list is endless , if one thing is true is that klpsch speakers are very well  adapted to everything out there , and only a few watts are needed   , or tons of watts   , whether Tubes or SS  -

PWK 's favorite amp was BGW -  In 1978  , when, he was awarded the Audio Engineering Society’s Silver Medal for his contributions to speaker design and distortion measurement.-

https://newscenter.nmsu.edu/Articles/view/13333/paul-w-klipsch-museum-at-nmsu-to-hold-open-house-thursday

Man, seated, working on equipment

Thanks for that input. BGW makes professional gear of the highest standard and they build extremely powerful amplifiers.

https://www.bgw.com/about-bgw

It makes me wonder why PWK would build highly efficient speakers and use them with extremely powerful amps... I still have a lot to learn.