New Lesson (for me) on Spotting SCAM E-Mail

joessportster

Got a Phishing email for Paypal today after reporting it I looked it up and found information that said..............

Hover over the link provided in the email............Low and behold a bizarre email address having nothing to do with paypal shows up lower left of my screen.  All my time on a PC I never knew simply hovering over a link would tell you where its from / going if you click on it

Thought it might be helpful to some. I am sure most of you nerds already know this😄 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was working for a Joint Venture associated with a very large international company ... we used to have to do an annual cyber security training, attest, swear on bible to behave etc.  Then, said parent company would spend all year trying to infiltrate, coerce, fool, etc. people.  That simple hover over an email address and READ IT CAREFULLY could have saved a lot of people embarrassment as they were caught in the internal scam.  If you were caught twice, IIRC, you lost internet privileges for some period of time. 

There are a lot of scams out there right now.  Also, just a thought ... use more than one email account.  Keep the family "business" to a very limited set of use.  Never give out anything over the internet.  If you buy/sell on electronic boards, e.g. Kijiji, Craigslist, FB ... use an email account you can blow away if you need to.  Don't mix family and hobby stuff if you can help it.

The email, internet and phone phishing attacks are getting pretty intense.  Just don't answer anything!

When I "really" retire, I will likely blow away my email from years and years of family life, and only send new email to immediate family.  The rest can try to call me.  Then again, I don't answer my phone.  Curmudgeon?  Maybe. 

• Like 1

The scammers are getting lazy when they call you with a recorded message that they’re from your credit card company and there was a big purchase on your account at 5 am.  Press 1 to get through to their Customer Service desk.  No mention of which bank issued your card, or even your name.  

They’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to targeted victims.  I guess nearly everyone is wise to them by now.  Even so, we get a sad story on the evening news about once a month about someone who was taken for thousands.  The request for payment in Bitcoin or gift cards should be a dead giveaway, but apparently not in every case.

• Thanks 1

Lol, yes that warrant for my arrest is almost too much.
What you going to do.
Wait beside your drive to take the
ride uptown.

Well, I did give him a address, to the White House , on Pennsylvania Avenue. Lol and the dipshit did not even recognize it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

My mother called me last night... she just got scammed out of +$3000 by the old call center computer virus scam out of India/Pakistan.

I'm so pissed off right now, because I've warned her about this several times and she always tells me how savvy and aware she is.

• Sad 2

My mother called me last night... she just got scammed out of +$3000 by the old call center computer virus scam out of India/Pakistan.

I'm so pissed off right now, because I've warned her about this several times and she always tells me how savvy and aware she is.

Man I’m so sorry. If I may ask. Did she give out bank or CREDIT card info ? Either way, she can, or you can for her. Call them so they can run a trace on the funds. If it was with a CC she can call them and stop the payments. Man I’m so sorry to hear this. Same f-ing thing with my mother. She would always say. - Do you thin I’m stupid??? - and then it happened with the old SS scammers and got her for $1500 and all of us kids had to get her out of a deep *** hole with new bank accounts and pay her rent and bills. That lasted for 6 months as the scandals kept hitting her account with withdrawals. It took us one year and changing her accounts before the shit stopped . At the end, so was out $1500.00
If us kids had not jumped in, she would have been Financially ruined for a minimum of 10 years
So my advices this, jump in and help her, don’t think that they are done with her. Because they are not.
Also the feds have a cyber security department that helps with things like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fairly certain the scam involves loading a piece of scammer software on your computer and VOLUNTARILY sending the capital, so there really isnt any recourse (according to her and her bank). all the accounts are now closed, she changed her phone number and I urge her to get a new computer (her unit is very old).

It's so sad because she sounds completely deflated by the experience... she kept saying 'I'm so stupid' over and over. I reinforced that it was in no way her 'fault'/

14 hours ago, Islander said:

The scammers are getting lazy when they call you with a recorded message that they’re from your credit card company and there was a big purchase on your account at 5 am.  Press 1 to get through to their Customer Service desk.  No mention of which bank issued your card, or even your name.  

They’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to targeted victims.  I guess nearly everyone is wise to them by now.  Even so, we get a sad story on the evening news about once a month about someone who was taken for thousands.  The request for payment in Bitcoin or gift cards should be a dead giveaway, but apparently not in every case.

I don't know about the rest of you older folks, but when my wife turned 70, (she's older than I am) our home phone (yes, we're that old) lit up like never before with scam calls. I mean by the hundreds over a 5 year perod. I had to raise my voice over it a couple times. My wife is the most trusting human I've ever known. But she is wise, or rather. skeptical enough to tell them to cram it now.  Scammers work on the aged at a fast clip. We've been told the police are on their way(!!) due to an overdue bill.  That our power bill is overdue and we're to be shut down.... by a power company whose name does not even exist. The ever obiquitous 'pc security issue.' Over and over. And the only reason it doesn't end is because it is lucrative. An amazingly never ending assault. We get at least 3 of these a week. In a slow week.