Marantz SR6010

AndreG.

Hello Guys,

I thought for a while if i should start another thread asking about speaker/ receiver combinations - here we go again.

I´ve been pondering about getting a new av-receiver for quite a while now and it was always the new stuff i thought about. Recently i had a chat with a local dealer and i told him i needed a receiver for a 5.1 set-up and it should be a universal model ( for there is a chance i might be moving from Germany to Japan in a few years.). He told me, why buy new? I still have a CRT-TV (last one made by Panasonic), so i won´t need the very latest UHD ect.. And once i move, i just keep my speakers and buy used again in Japan. As one of the possible choices he recommended the Marantz SR6010 which fits nicely with my budget.

I want to drive RF3s, a RC3 and RS3s for HT and my Heresy Es for stereo. Power for stereo should be enough at about 180 Watts per chanel. I´m a little worried about HT, the 6010 will supply about 95 Watts with 8 Ohm speakers per chanel. Do You think the 6010 will be enough to feed the RF3s?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd go even older than that.  The 6010 has 4k capability which you obviously don't need plus tons of other features that you won't currently need or be able to use. 

I would look for a 2005-2010 top of the line AVR from Sony ES, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer Elite.  You'll have way more of the quality and value built into the amplifiers and sound quality than in things like 4k upscaling, Dolby Atmos, etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks for Your input Wuzzer and excuse my late reply.

I did some hunting, but it´s quite difficult to find decent gear. You´d think there should be tons of stuff here in Berlin, but no. Either i won´t fit my needs or it´s overpriced. I almost got my hands on a Yamaha RX A2030, but then it turned out the guy was selling it for his friend and there was no way to listen to it and check, and hell yeah, for 500€ i want to test...

I now found an offer for a Denon AVR-4306 wich seems decent. Any thoughts about that particular Denon?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Thanks for Your input Wuzzer and excuse my late reply.

I did some hunting, but it´s quite difficult to find decent gear. You´d think there should be tons of stuff here in Berlin, but no. Either i won´t fit my needs or it´s overpriced. I almost got my hands on a Yamaha RX A2030, but then it turned out the guy was selling it for his friend and there was no way to listen to it and check, and hell yeah, for 500€ i want to test...

I now found an offer for a Denon AVR-4306 wich seems decent. Any thoughts about that particular Denon?

That Denon looks excellent.  Most of the time you can tell a lot about a receiver by how much it weighs.  The Denon weighs 46 pounds, which is a good thing.  Good, solid power.

I´m in a pinch right now. I found two offers on Ebay. One is a Denon AVR 4310, missing the Audyssey mike and i´m also doubtful about all over it´s condition (haven´t seen it live yet, pictures online look rather shabby.). This one´s quite far for me to get to. It´s 300€ plus the mike for 40€ and about 11 years old.

Then there is a AVR 4308. It seems to be in much better condition, although 13 years old, comes with everything and has all the firmware updates aviable from Denon. It´s closer to home and 210 bucks.

Now, i´ve read that the 4310 is supposed to sound that much better then the 4308, really? Anyone with experience? I value this forums input, not shure how to proceed.

• Like 1

So, it finally turned out to be a Marantz SR6008, five years old and in almost pristine condition.

The 4310 was too far away and someone else got to the 4308 first.

Set up the Marantz yesterday, and, after some starting trouble, got it to run. So far sound is great already, wonder how much better it will get once i´m done. As Wuzzer pointed out, i don´t need all the high resolution stuff now, but this way i´m set for LED in the future.

Edited by AndreG.
  • Like 1