Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

16 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Let's keep this thread running. I am sure there are lurkers that have tube amplifiers who have never posted. Now is the time to just post a picture and join in. I just like the looks of tube equipment glowing in the dark when listening to music. Romantic as well for you younger members. 

P9230a073.thumb.jpg.2d631cd09b41c953064b1fbe38082a21.jpg

• Like 5

Fisher 400c stereo preamp and a pair of fisher 200a monos.  The extra shelf space is for a fisher 55a that is being serviced.  The 200s drive 1979 Khorns and the 55a will be for the center heresy III.  And yeah, busted.  I’m listening to the parasound right now.  I’ve hardly noticed the quarantine. Why leave the house?

6269A61F-9A20-46D2-86CB-181B6A9C842D.jpeg

• Like 5

Ampex 6973 monoblocks. Several years ago a friend was tasked with clearing out his late uncle's home. Kindly he asked me what I wanted, so I replied that cash, gold, firearms or vacuum tube amps would be nice. After I replaced all the caps and out of spec resistors I found that these amps sound fantastic!

Ampex 6973.JPG

Edited by nikon f
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, nikon f said:

Ampex 6973 monoblocks. Several years ago a friend was tasked with clearing out his late uncle's home. Kindly he asked me what I wanted, so I replied that cash, gold, firearms or vacuum tube amps would be nice. After I replaced all the caps and out of spec resistors I found that these amps sound fantastic!

Really nice! While working at a TV station in the late '60s, one of the engineers offered me a pair of amps our of a couple of tape machines. The were servo amps, fed by a 60Hz oscillator, to control the speed of the transport. He said they cold be converted fairly easily to be audio amps, as the transformers would have the bandwith. I didn't take him up on the offer... They were a little larger and I am sure heavier than your 6973 amps.

Bruce

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 4:46 AM, henry4841 said:

Fisher, enough said. 

50 pounds of dual rectified transformer coupled mono triode goodness. I went on a fisher binge 20 years ago. The signature of my sound remains the khorns and they sound their best coupled to these old amps.   This the el34 version. 

CFE011F5-FF90-44F1-BB0E-68BFB1632F07.jpeg

717E3D28-7122-417A-AB05-2376D67CC4B3.jpeg

• Like 5

Factory built st70. Another el34 amp that is a reliable like an old friend. Does not have the crystal clarity of the fishers nor all of the thump but for most recordings it is just fine. 

I believe it is the best selling amp of all time.  I bet everyone here has heard, if not owned one.  

E134C946-7640-4141-9F2F-FCDE88DF2783.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, nikon f said:

Ampex 6973.JPG

I have a pair of these  on my bench right now except mine are the 6v6 version.. I've just oredered can caps to replace the ones on top as there is no room underneath. I still have the console these came in and I am restoring for my wife as her stereo. It has JBL LE8 speakers. Now an old engineer told me these amps were built to make the speakers flat... If that is true I wonder what the bandwidth is and how we reverse the eq to use these elsewhere.

1.thumb.JPG.f2f86e2d5181a98f2311a00b8c7098e3.JPG

• Like 6

3 hours ago, seti said:

I have a pair of these  on my bench right now except mine are the 6v6 version.. I've just oredered can caps to replace the ones on top as there is no room underneath. I still have the console these came in and I am restoring for my wife as her stereo. It has JBL LE8 speakers. Now an old engineer told me these amps were built to make the speakers flat... If that is true I wonder what the bandwidth is and how we reverse the eq to use these elsewhere.

1.thumb.JPG.f2f86e2d5181a98f2311a00b8c7098e3.JPG

JBL LE 8 - full range 8 inches with an aluminum center dome? I cut my teeth with those - possibly the Lancer 44? A single 8 in each box 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, richieb said:

JBL LE 8 - full range 8 inches with an aluminum center dome? I cut my teeth with those - possibly the Lancer 44? A single 8 in each box 

It has the early version made for Ampex with two green felts on the cone. Good stuff but likely tops out at 10-12k