Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

On 9/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, ned said:

Factory built st70. Another el34 amp that is a reliable like an old friend. Does not have the crystal clarity of the fishers nor all of the thump but for most recordings it is just fine. 

I believe it is the best selling amp of all time.  I bet everyone here has heard, if not owned one.  

E134C946-7640-4141-9F2F-FCDE88DF2783.jpeg

Are you sure it was factory built? I thought they just had the Dynaco label on them, like the one below (not my pic, and mine was a kit, got it for $50 from the builder)

Dynaco_ST-70.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

Are you sure it was factory built? I thought they just had the Dynaco label on them, like the one below (not my pic, and mine was a kit, got it for $50 from the builder)

Mines a bit older than the photo you provided, and yes, I know the photo of mine is factory built because there is a factory sticker (printed on foil). Cloth leads etc.....As you know, thousands of these were sold. David Hafler and all that. 

Here’s the factory wired tag. I don't know how visible it is in my earlier post, but there is a. chromed  "cage" within the cage that covers the first stage of amplification. This is also unique to the factory built. The reference to "cloth leads" are the wires coming from the transformers. This indicates an earlier model. The voices I hear on the internet tell me these are more desirable transformers. This was the amp that led a couple of generations down the garden path toward audio nirvana. Despite the enormous numbers made, it remains desirable today. 

AAE4C34F-9FF4-492C-85F1-17C52D2EC549.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not knocking what you have. My ST-70 is from the early '70s, maybe earlier. The leads on the trannies are vinyl/plastic. I have replaced the power transformer with a larger one with other voltage ranges, as our utility varies between 125-130VAC. it still runs a bit warm.

I had put in a Curcio front end about 16 years ago, but have a newer VTA board and parts to replace it. I hope to get to it soon.

Sorry if I sounded defensive. You certainly have plenty of wall current. Mine is pretty much bone stock - the selenium rectifier has been replaced with a couple of diodes. Mine is probably from the early 60s. According to Wikipedia, 350,000 were sold. Pretty insane. I bet yours will sound great with your attention. 

The community is fortunate to have your even opinion and knowledge. 

On 9/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Nice cosmetics.  I see a mu of 70 - a 6SL7,  as the driver.  Is it direct coupled also. ?   Do the pictured white-based 2A3Es ( Electro Harmonix ) have a " harp" type filament structure by any chance, or are they more like a traditional "V" or a "W" shaped filament structure??  Thanks.

I sent you a message. As to the filament, I only know these are gold plated grid. I have not read anywhere the type of structure and it cannot be viewed because of the construction of the tube.

• Like 2