Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

12 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

There are two things

I thought this thread is for  posting pictures of tube amps, not criticism of how they are made.

Maynard

[It is, per OP's request, I will spit off unsolicited advice into their own thread(s), if y'all are interested you can read what others have to say about how you are doing it all wrong, or not.]

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

I thought this thread is for  posting pictures of tube amps, not criticism of how they are made.

Maynard

What’s the old saying - “picture is worth a thousand words”.  Or in this case worth a few words of criticism - 

Jeffrey, as Henry has explained to you, this thread is not about your design philosophy.  Why can’t you respect his desire to keep this as a PICTURE thread?  I was enjoying it greatly until you began spouting your ideas.  For the benefit of all who only want to look at amp pictures please refrain from technical comments.  Thank you!

Maynard

• Like 4

@henry4841   said  >SS amplifiers are dull <.....not really imo ...but no subject here ...thanx.

A tube amplifiere is an amplifiere even it´s a Phono Pre Amplifier for Moving Iron & Moving Magnet Cartridges.

My DIY Project a couple of years ago. With 2 x PCC 88 Tubes . Got NoS Valvo / Phillips / Telefunken and JJ ´s  for tube rolling

steinprvv22xkjh.jpg

steinprvv3yzjuu.jpg

image.jpeg.b6873c04097b521a5d2d9aed7c2eb3f5.jpeg

steinprvvkleinerjqkx0.jpg

jjteslainnenkleiner3ujxw.jpg

• Like 5

IMGP0347.thumb.JPG.982d55803dc302f6b051aabfee6a3e65.JPG

VTA ST-120 6550 powered amp. I put this together as a kit from VTA. Sounded wonderful while it lasted. I don't know if it was something I did or a bad part(s) from VTA. Since they have NO warranty I decided to sell it and look around for something roughly equivalent to it with a warranty. I found this on Amazon:maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.167f46e2920afe9f2c2c6f05e9bb3de6.jpg

It's a KT88 powered integrated amp with ~45wpc, with a so-so phono section, and for the HT enthusiast, HT bypass, which is rare in the tube world of integrated amps. I don't use the HT bypass, I've set up my system so the stereo setup is separate from the HT stuff, with digital music from the HTPC sharing the signal with a Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, no other common connections. The Muzishare X7 drives a pair of Salk Song Towers in either ultra-linear , or triode mode(~35wpc). I usually keep it in ultra-linear mode.

The HT speakers are Klipsch RP-150's L/R, RP-440c center, and RP-140SA Atmos speakers, and Emotiva ERD-1 surrounds, and a pair of subs. No subs are used with the X7/Song Towers.

The X7 sounds very 'SS' like, with a velvety mid range that clearly outshines most SS amps I've owned prior. The X7 replaced a very good Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp, which is on standby should something go wrong with the X7. The X7 is well built, and has some nice built in features such as 30 second delay circuitry to allow the heater elements to get things warmed up before applying power to the tubes. The remote is as basic as it gets, with only volume up/down & mute. I bought this thinking I would use it in the HT system to drive the Salk speakers for movies. That all changed when I decided to buy the Klipsch speakers and heard how dynamic they are for movies, and how easily the Yamaha AVR drove them. I'll complete the HT side when I find some Klipsch RP-240s or RP-250s. The ERD-1's are very good too.

So, that's my system, SS & tubes. And just so you know, this isn't my first rodeo with tubes, my first tube gear was a brand new Sansui 500a tube receiver, which I bought it 1966, in Japan.

• Like 7

Congratulations on the X-7 Muzishare. I have a similar one, and I did roll the tubes, and indeed it does have a great  lush tuby sound. I use mine with a pair of H-3's, and a Schilt DAC. Very musical and clear sound. I used the Gold lion tubes in it, and to my ears they sound better.

I also have it's bigger brother, the R-100, with 845's 300b's tubes,  along with a Cary Audio 200 DAC, and I use it with my Forte III's, and what a gorgeous sound they produce.

My understanding is the Muzishare is a part of LM company,  they have very similar construction, and I use the Line Magnetic LM 508IA1560640382_R100.jpg.4ca7eb8fdb31d1c0978a1fc94449ee40.jpg1004639274_508IA.jpg.334fc32ce8e47083d0d6ae8b00c1b4a5.jpg ( 805, 300b ) tube amp with my La Scalla II'S, and an NAD M-12 Dac. Exceptional sound, and clarity and warmth.  the LM 508IA is 220 v and I use a 220/110 step down, a bit of a hassle at first, but for the sound, it is very well worth it. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Exceptional value in tube gear coming from China.

I've been toying with a Grounded Grid line-stage and power supply from Zero Zone.

The GG boards do have an error, some are corrected. Things you have to pay attention to with these Chinese boards.

Good sound for cheap with room for improvements...

I bought the ZZ EAR834 tube phono-stage to try as well.