Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

On 9/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, joessportster said:

Latest acquisition: Finale F138-FFX Premium Build EL84 SEP ( Only wish it was burgandy to match the AuPre) The BMW Metallic Brown is quite handsome though.  Warming her up now. Tons of glowing reviews and premium build quality

Triode Lab Single-ended EL84 Amp/Integrated Top-line, Beautiful w/ great headphone amp too

Triode Lab Single-ended EL84 Amp/Integrated Top-line, Beautiful w/ great headphone amp too

absolutely gorgeous piece!  if they sound as good as they look, then it must blow your mind!

On 9/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, A1UC said:

I honestly feel that Aric is a very good value , as for build quality very solid .
If I had to nit pick there are 2 things I dont care for . One being the blue leds in meter , I did recommend that a switch option be added to disable the led portion. The second would be the speaker terminals but I am very fussy with this on any amp or preamp I always opt for a upgrade . Im sure Aric is willing to upgrade as do most . There are many people that wont opt for these upgrades and are more than happy with stock configuration. As for sound Its excellent no complaints , I upgraded all tubes as I always do but even with included tubes the 211/845 sounds excellent.

Also customer service is top notch Aric always replies and is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the main reason I started to build my own tube equipment, price. My first tube amp that I built was a Williamson Ultra-Linear clone back in 1996. As the Internet grew and more and more audio pages were added, I started to read more about single-ended tube amps. I thought it was crazy, 2 or 3 watts single-ended. I couldn't stand it so I built a pair of mono block 2A3's. To my surprise they sounded wonderful. I was hooked. Shortly after I built those 2A3's, I had to hear what 211's sounded like, so I designed and built a pair of 211 amps. 

Too bad more people can't experience the 211 and 845, they are great sounding amps, but the high voltage and complicated circuitry definitely drive up the price. 

That is the main reason I started to build my own tube equipment, price. My first tube amp that I built was a Williamson Ultra-Linear clone back in 1996. As the Internet grew and more and more audio pages were added, I started to read more about single-ended tube amps. I thought it was crazy, 2 or 3 watts single-ended. I couldn't stand it so I built a pair of mono block 2A3's. To my surprise they sounded wonderful. I was hooked. Shortly after I built those 2A3's, I had to hear what 211's sounded like, so I designed and built a pair of 211 amps. 

Too bad more people can't experience the 211 and 845, they are great sounding amps, but the high voltage and complicated circuitry definitely drive up the price. 

You should look at the prices of Thomas Mayer builds just crazy.
On another note : Im looking on having a 300b amplifier built next and Aric has one I really like and Im sure its excellent but I am on a kick about using 816 mercury tubes and a 10y this is been on my mind for weeks and not sure which direction I will go .

Id like to do 300b , 10y , 816/6AX4 rectifiers along with Dave Slagle finemet iron

10831095aa0e2ff9c27ff4626110e21c.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I have seen Thomas' website. I figured his builds were expensive, nice stuff though.

I used 866A's in the first iteration of my 211 build despite all the "experts" telling me not to. They were quiet and worked well. They looked cool too. I switched to 3B25's to see if there was a difference, but none that I can/could hear. The mercury vapor rectifiers definitely have more of an cool glow factor than the 3B25's. 

I say go ahead with your 300B/10Y/816 build. 

9 hours ago, A1UC said:

You should look at the prices of Thomas Mayer builds just crazy.
On another note : Im looking on having a 300b amplifier built next and Aric has one I really like and Im sure its excellent but I am on a kick about using 816 mercury tubes and a 10y this is been on my mind for weeks and not sure which direction I will go .

Id like to do 300b , 10y , 816/6AX4 rectifiers along with Dave Slagle finemet iron

10831095aa0e2ff9c27ff4626110e21c.jpg

You can't go wrong with Slagle aka Intact Audio iron... I used 816's in a 1625 amplifier and will use them in a 112a preamp..

Right this minuite on my Univeral SET I am listening to Gold Lion KT88s with my Lii Audio S10s and W15s combo with Lii Audio Filters.

I am really enjoying the open baffle technology as of the last three years or so. Sounds Amazing!!!

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Snapped this shot while getting the old tubes back in service after several years in storage. Posted this in a different thread but thought it might go here, as well:

Dynaco_web.jpg.b64ebdac388d1e621005aba1efc5918c.jpg

- New Tubes in PAS-3 preamp
- Re-biased K77s in the ST-70
- Caps Reformed (via gradual volt increase)
- Using Rega Planet CDP as Source
- Klipsch KG 3.5 speakers as Load

Trying to make space for it all with my Forte IIs. They really were made for each other. 🙂 

Frank
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just received 2 beautiful Russian 5U3C valves from Ukraine.

These are Svetlana from 1962 with black Plate, they are taller and thinner than 5U3C Svetlana gray plate from the 70s / 80s.

They are beautiful and I find the softness of the sound that the SLI-50 Cary had with the CV729 valve: I love it 🧡

_20211102_182641.thumb.JPG.0438d8a2e77601eace9e1090732aafc5.JPG_20211102_182416.thumb.JPG.a06b9ed3ffbbb886bb0f91399309fa90.JPG_20211102_182615.thumb.JPG.19cb3c60ceded9581b7e93dbc0dfdcb8.JPG

• Like 4

Lots of very pretty amps here. After a certain age the old girls start to look pretty to you. This one was born in 1958 or 1959. She's a year or two younger than I am and looking good. I dressed her in maple, a professional replaced the capacitors and any out of spec resistors. Three of the four output tubes are original and match, the fourth is an antique chosen to match the other three. She may get a new set of output tubes someday. The rectifier tube is original, the preamp tubes are brand new. By "Original" I mean that the tubes say, "Magnavox" and look old as dirt. I cannot prove they were never changed. 

There is a bit of noise evident when there is no music playing. As soon as the music starts I no longer hear it. No doubt someone would be bothered by this. I play it into Heresy I's, most of it's diet has been Sinatra, Goodman, Basie, Ellington - forties through sixties.

Maggie in Maple.jpg

• Like 5