Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Yes, I would imagine that Sony is a real bottleneck. You'd be wise to replace it with something else.

Yes. Just like what you said. The sony is not designed for playback. 

22 minutes ago, CCG said:

Its actually a receiver that I bypass the power and preamp. Sony STR-V55 AM-FM Stereo Receiver.   be an excellent music library. It has an excellent mm/mc phono circuit. Or atleast it use to.

I like   Sony TA series   .... + the Sunfire TGP5 

11 hours ago, OO1 said:

I like   Sony TA series   .... + the Sunfire TGP5 

There were lots of excellent sony products during those times. Sony trinitron that I recently retired, the mighty sony 3 head cassette deck that I acquired going 40 years now from 1980's that is perfectly biased to my nakamichi decks, the early sony cassette tapes I recorded that sounds like gold till today. There were lots of good things about them. 

• Like 1

How about some -  before and after tube light goodness 

Amp is a Weston Acoustics- Model - Tweaker ( all hand made including winding of the transformers ) 

This unit is serial #001 

This model is no longer made but he still builds tube amps 

http://www.westonacoustics.com.au/

Before 

IMG-1899.jpg

And after 

IMG-1894.jpg

IMG-1897.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Full Range said:

Amp is a Weston Acoustics- Model - Tweaker ( all hand made including winding of the transformers ) 

This unit is serial #001 

Before 

IMG-1899.jpg

And after 

IMG-1894.jpg

IMG-1897.jpg

That guy builds some impressive gear. Too bad it's not available in the US.

3 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

That guy builds some impressive gear. Too bad it's not available in the US.

I am sure he builds for US customers to USA voltage 

But there is a long waiting time as he custom makes to order 

Just remember that the prices are in Aust $$ so way less on the conversion to US 

I also have a preamp with headphone port ( also serial #001 ) 

I sent him an email, then I saw this. So I think it's a no go for me.

Currently not accepting international orders due to shipping issues.
Payment:I'll ask for full payment just prior to building your amplifier.Build takes ~2 weeks, then around 1 week for shipping.I only accept international bank transfer as form of payment. Shipping guide AU$1,500.00 to AU$2,500.00 depending on location. That's not a typo. Prices have skyrocketed since the covid outbreak.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

When I looked at shipping options, he didn't mention the US.

Ahh he has changed the international option 

Just found this on the site 

International Customers.

11 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Ahh he has changed the international option 

Just found this on the site 

International Customers.

This is strange. I bought a preamp from Poland last year and shipping was 37.00 US. I also recently checked on shipping an amplifier to Lithuania and my cost was only about 85.00 US. Shipping from down under is whack.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

This is strange. I bought a preamp from Poland last year and shipping was 37.00 US. I also recently checked on shipping an amplifier to Lithuania and my cost was only about 85.00 US. Shipping from down under is whack.

Last year @MicroMara was sending me a tiny PCB board for my Revox TT, and it easily fitted in a standard envelope  

From memory the cost was $80 Euro from Germany and postage to me in Australia

With currency conversion it’s actually double in Au peso dollars 😄

He still has it I think 

Maybe I should just pay up and have him send it, so I can get that TT working again 

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Last year @MicroMara was sending me a tiny PCB board for my Revox TT, and it easily fitted in a standard envelope  

From memory the cost was $80 Euro from Germany and postage to me in Australia

With currency conversion it’s actually double in Au peso dollars 😄

He still has it I think 

Maybe I should just pay up and have him send it, so I can get that TT working again 

Of course I still have the board at home, but at the moment I don't know where it is. I have to look for it first.
I think it cost around the 50 €, can´t remember .Of course I can send it to you when I find it again. Currently, the DHL air freight shipping costs about 46 €, in addition, I have to make a customs declaration on the content and value of the delivery. Whether customs and import taxes must be calculated on it I don´t know unfortunately. It would take about 40 days till arrival .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Of course I still have the board at home, but at the moment I don't know where it is. I have to look for it first.
I think it cost around the 50 €, can´t remember .Of course I can send it to you when I find it again. Currently, the DHL air freight shipping costs about 46 €, in addition, I have to make a customs declaration on the content and value of the delivery. Whether customs and import taxes must be calculated on it I don´t know unfortunately. It would take about 40 days till arrival .

That is insane. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Full Range said:

This unit is serial #001 

Before 

IMG-1899.jpg

And after 

IMG-1894.jpg

IMG-1897.jpg

The color of Weston's output transformers and power transformers reminds me of the color that Leak used. Maybe Weston is a fan of the old Leak amps? I have two Stereo 20s since 1992 like this one (pic just taken from the web).

IMG_4012.jpeg

• Like 5

On 4/24/2023 at 10:44 AM, CCG said:

Its actually a receiver that I bypass the power and preamp. Sony STR-V55 AM-FM Stereo Receiver. The Fluxion custom build was suppose to be a pair of monos and 1 tube preamp. In this setup, I need to have a tone control for this is my analog recording set up. 

The sony is almost dead. I need to warm it up for a good 25 minutes before I use it. Not really a unit that I wanna rebuilt. But the one thing I can say about this old receiver, I have made thousands of excellent recordings since the 80's.  Surprisingly turned out to be an excellent music library. It has an excellent mm/mc phono circuit. Or atleast it use to.

going back a bit...

I got my 2nd system dialed correctly (lets say the way how I want it). But since my preamp is on its last leg, I'm in a search for a new one. Specifically a tube preamp with tone control. I was looking at the Vincent sa-32 tube preamp. I believe this one has a submarine tube. Any takes in this preamp?

Hybrid Stereo Preamplifier
The further development of our hybrid preamplifier SA-31. Compared to the predecessor the SA-32 has additionally symmetrical input- and output connections. Also we improved the whole circuit again. Now there are two more 6N16 tubes inside, located directly in front of the output. Because of this, the sound becomes more naturalness and more musicality.
For a comfort operation we added a high-class remote control in an aluminium case.
Technical Specifications

• Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB, 20 Hz – 50 kHz +/- 2 dB
  • Nominal Output Voltage: 2 Volt
  • Harmonic Distortion: < 0.1 % (1 kHz, 1 Watt)
  • Input Sensitivity: 500 mV
  • Signal-Noise-Ratio: > 90 dB
  • Input Impedance: 47 kOhm
  • Max. Power Consumption: 40 Watt
  • Inputs: 5 x Stereo RCA, 1 x Stereo XLR
  • Outputs: 2 x Stereo RCA Pre Out, 1 x Stereo XLR Pre Out, 1 x Stereo RCA Rec Out, 2 x 3.5 mm Jack (Power Control)
  • Tubes: 4 x 6N16
  • Colour: Black / Silver
  • Weight: 6.2 kg
  • Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 77 x 360 mm

[IMG]
[IMG]

[IMG]

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Thanks mate

Send me a PM when you find it and we can organise postage for it to finally come to me 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KT88 said:

The color of Weston's output transformers and power transformers reminds me of the color that Leak used. Maybe Weston is a fan of the old Leak amps? I have two Stereo 20s since 1992 like this one (pic just taken from the web).

IMG_4012.jpeg

That is a possibility 

I have owned my amp since 2008 

The amp was purpose built to tube roll 4 different tube types 

Also has switching from Ultralinea Pentode Mode to Triode Mode 

Depending on the combination it will give the owner a range of A Class watts from 4.3 w to 14 w per channel 

Tube types are 6L6GC, KT66, KT88, EL34 

Bios setting is manual 

10 hours ago, KT88 said:

Looks very nice and I am also a fan of tone control. Pity that only a few manufacturers specify the output impedance, which would predict the compatibility with power amplifiers a bit better.

Good point on the output signal. The quality tone control is really important to certain people like for example yourself. I can really use it too for I record alot and not every recording is the same. Throughout the years I see myself dialing more on the treble and rarely on the bass. That difference of 1/2 to 1 notch on trimming can make the playback sound from good to holy grail. This is probably one of the reason why I manage to own some of my stereo equipment for a very long time. I try to make the most out of the stereo before thinking about upgrading.

BTW: I was looking at a dynaco pas 3. I never had a thorough experience with it besides owning and listening to it a for a very short time. For some reason it may sound tube'y but kind of old school monoural to my listening. Its just not my cup of tea. That has a tone control.