DPHL Another Great Tweeter Option for the DIY'er

jjptkd

10 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

now can you tell me what is the difference between the 110 and the 120-

You can go back and look at my curves. The 110 is slighly smaller, and is has a few tiny little wiggles in the curve, which are inaudible. I think B&C figured out how to get similar performance to the 120 with lower material cost in production while charging the same price for the 110, which is more "arrayable" by way of it's smaller size. No one would regret buying that one instead of the 120, I'm pretty sure. Keep in mind that you always pay a premium for NeoDymium Magnets. I still think they make a "12" with ceramic magnet, but it's way larger. I really like modern Neo magnets, which are a good cost/benefit compromise over Samrium Cobalt, which are even better, but significantly higher product cost.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Keep in mind that you always pay a premium for NeoDymium Magnets. I still think they make a "12" with ceramic magnet, but it's way larger.

Yes, one of the reasons I went with this driver as I pointed out to someone in a PM the Chorus and 301 motorboards are 1" thick and just switching to a stock Klipsch Tractrix horn and driver requires some light Dremel work / filing to the cabinet to get the tweeter to fit as the Tractrix horn is about a half inch or so shallower and will not fit as is the de-120 slips right through the opening no problem so another thing to consider when going the Tractrix route in a Chorus style cabinet.

• Like 3

Keep in mind, that the DE-10 will cross lower and is much cheaper than the DE-120 or the 110 if you have the room. You could even use it in a 2-way, with multiple 8" drivers, like klipsch is doing with more recent offerings. Eminence makes Klipsch 8" pro drivers that would work in an MTM configuration. Add subs and you are all set on a new modern build.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Roy's work on Phase Plug design is as significant as the horns themselves. The phase plug is a HUGE determinant of sound for a given diaphragm, voice coil, magnetic circuit, etc. in driver design, which is the primary part of horn assembly.

I can attest to this first hand. I had some K-1132 drivers with original  phase plugs in them and they sounded good. Then I had some where the phase plugs had fallen out which were then repaired with new style phase plugs.  The difference was immediately apparent and the old ones were put on the shelf.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I can attest to this first hand. I had some K-1132 drivers with original  phase plugs in them and they sounded good. Then I had some where the phase plugs had fallen out which were then repaired with new style phase plugs.  The difference was immediately apparent and the old ones were put on the shelf.

Yep, and it's essentially the same driver base, diaphragm (AFAIK), magnet as the K-1133, which favors 400 Hz. vs. 12 Khz. in the 1132.