Enclosure Painting

Edgar

Starting to line-up winter projects. My next loudspeaker enclosure build I would like to finish in pearl white paint. Any recommendations from experts as to a good paint product that won't require a full paint booth and respirator? Also surface prep.

Laugh if you will, but like things a little "different". I've done wood veneer. My last project was finished in faux marble Formica (never again!). I'm thinking candy red or blue paint for the project that follows the pearl white.

Thanks guys,

Greg ("Edgar")

3 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

What degree of gloss are you aiming for ?

Satin finish would be fine.

How finicky are you (80% or perfection)?

Considering that I'm much better at designing them than I am at building them, 80% is probably better than I can hope for.

Not to mention the fact, pearl white is a pain to work with. it uses a clear base and will take many coats to get a good finish. it appears sometimes it won't even cover it's self. If I were you i'd go for another white. I've done paint and wallpaper for 40 years. had one designer who used pearl white as her signature trim color. never less than 4 coats, more if the wood has no finish to start with.

D

3 minutes ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

Not to mention the fact, pearl white is a pain to work with.

Yes, that was the impression that I got from trying to research it. But I want something a bit unusual, if I can do it.

If I were you i'd go for another white. I've done paint and wallpaper for 40 years. had one designer who used pearl white as her signature trim color. never less than 4 coats, more if the wood has no finish to start with.

My fear is that a plain white pair of 8 cubic foot speakers will look like a couple of refrigerators in my living room. Piano black will look like the opening of "2001 A Space Odyssey". There's got to be something other than wood veneer, as nice as that can be.

13 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I guess for something really unusual, there's this.

Since you are willing to consider this, consider using spray can plasti-kote type of finish, or roll

on. Getting a thick yet smooth finish may be the ticket. Half baked, no coffee yet thought.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Since you are willing to consider this, consider using spray can plasti-kote type of finish, or roll

on. Getting a thick yet smooth finish may be the ticket. Half baked, no coffee yet thought.

Coincidentally, I was on the Plasti-Dip Website when your message came in.

• 4 weeks later...

This may work well. I would spray it. Prep will be critical. For best result I'd use DTM primer. It's expensive but can be color matched up to 50% of the formula (if not to dramatic) and retain it's sealing properties)  . Will need a couple of costs. It goes on kinda heavy. Allows for good sanding(150/240/320) and a smooth finish. You can roll the primer but I would spray the finish.

Big D

I had painted mdf with 2 different paints recently.  One set of cabinets were a build in using this in an Antique White.  I had to use a good primer plus 2 coast of top coats. 

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/property-facility-managers/products/catalog/families/pro-industrial-high-performance-coatings?gclid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCbwimnTanKc95sqZxtIvOYTEPxZPvmCBXwVzm0JlQnH5eBhuwr1df3RoC9RwQAvD_BwE

The other was my TH Spud clone using this in a satin black.  No primer, but 3 coats gave me the best result hiding most of the flaws ( some still visible, but it will be tucked into a dark corner). 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Cabinet-Enamel-Base-4-Satin-Enamel-Tintable-Interior-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-29-fl-oz/1000380283?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-google-_-lia-_-219-_-interiorstains-_-1000380283-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb4dWfjeBMyPOG2ExznvmqO_BMv3dOgFtTaz01src38lDkXC0prUqIRoCadYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Someone had recommended a satin black in a water based acrylic with a primer and a top coat.  

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-em6600-wb-raven-black-lacquer/

The stuff I used from Sherwin Williams and Lowes was rolled, but with the correct dilution and spray apparatus, can be sprayed.  The stuff from Target Coatings I am not sure if it can be rolled. 

I've been considering the Plasti Dip white with "pearlizer" to paint my Oris horns. The good part is if I don't like it, I can peel it off. Also hoping the rubber texture of Plasti Dip will tame the horns a little. I will be following your path here to see what works for you. Pearl white is my choice as well. Good luck!

Jeremy

4 minutes ago, capo72 said:

I will be following your path here to see what works for you. Pearl white is my choice as well. Good luck!

Thanks, but it may be a long wait. This is slated to be a Winter project, so painting may not take place until Spring.