Khorn angle

Jer_Hy

Hey all, I’m very excited to have just purchased a used set of Khorns. Stock 77 raw birch that was finished by someone along the line. They are in good working order, really happy with the what they can do so far. The only thing I’m still sorting out is how to get the the tops to throw further back into the room. As of now I’m really only getting the imaging I’m looking for about 6 ft or so from the front wall. I’d really like to sit back at least 10 ft or so.

They sit along a 13’ wall. The room length is 14’.  In my music production work I typically set up near fields in an equilateral triangle and try to sit directly inside it, usually along the front wall of a room. I treat the front wall, first reflections and have a cloud on the ceiling.

This set up is no that of course. My goal is to listen on the Khorns in a less analytic way and more visceral way, but I have missed the image I usually get from being in that triangle. 

I have pretty good corners for the low end section but I’ve been experimenting with twisting the tops out a bit, which seems to help, but I would like to keep full Khorn angled together. Im thinking false corners in perfectly good corners seems like a bit much, but I’m wondering if I could build one half for the front wall that essentially tilts the corner outward reducing the overall angle to 75 or 80 degrees...anyone have any experience with that?I’ll keep experimenting but any insight appreciated!

A2D080C6-45ED-4962-8CF2-CA8BD68E0EC9.jpeg

• Like 2

you could build a single sided false corner for the 'inside' of each klipschorn so you could rotate them further away from the typical factory spec 45º with on axis (in front of MLP).

Despite what is expounded as normalcy, I find personally that behind the MLP is the best on axis direction... IF you are sitting forward of that rear wall by several feet. if you are against the rear wall, that is not true any longer.

• Like 1

Thanks Schu, been interested in them for a very long time, read about the Dave Mancuso system about 10 years ago and so began the klipsch journey. Mainly have devoted my energy into gear for music production, but over the last couple years I've been wanting (and found myself with) space for non-work listening. I may try the false corner/single sided false corner very soon and if so I'll post about the experience. Thinking I could also use a couple 2x4s wrapped in foam to seal the tail against the corner at a slightly toes out angle.

Today I realigned the tops and tried them at 45º and then moved them just enough to toed them out about 10º. The bass seems most impactful about 3/4 of the way back into the room with the speakers in either position. At 45º the image is best about half way down the room. Toed out the image feels better in that 3/4 position. 

• Like 1

------the way the speakers are positioned , you would have to be seated on the purple carpet in the middle to hear all the right details , but if you turn the speakers in line with the wall at a slight angle , you should get a wider experience ,  the ideal speakers for that room would have been Cornwalls imho

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

------the way the speakers are positioned , you would have to be seated on the purple carpet in the middle to hear all the right details , but if you turn the speakers in line with the wall t a slight angle , you should get a wider experience ,  the ideal speakers for that room would have been Cornwalls imho

It's really rough to beat Cornwalls. The K-horns get all of the PR.

JJK

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jer_Hy said:

Hey all, I’m very excited to have just purchased a used set of Khorns. Stock 77 raw birch that was finished by someone along the line. They are in good working order, really happy with the what they can do so far. The only thing I’m still sorting out is how to get the the tops to throw further back into the room. As of now I’m really only getting the imaging I’m looking for about 6 ft or so from the front wall. I’d really like to sit back at least 10 ft or so.

They sit along a 13’ wall. The room length is 14’.  In my music production work I typically set up near fields in an equilateral triangle and try to sit directly inside it, usually along the front wall of a room. I treat the front wall, first reflections and have a cloud on the ceiling.

This set up is no that of course. My goal is to listen on the Khorns in a less analytic way and more visceral way, but I have missed the image I usually get from being in that triangle. 

I have pretty good corners for the low end section but I’ve been experimenting with twisting the tops out a bit, which seems to help, but I would like to keep full Khorn angled together. Im thinking false corners in perfectly good corners seems like a bit much, but I’m wondering if I could build one half for the front wall that essentially tilts the corner outward reducing the overall angle to 75 or 80 degrees...anyone have any experience with that?I’ll keep experimenting but any insight appreciated!

A2D080C6-45ED-4962-8CF2-CA8BD68E0EC9.jpeg

@jcmusic thanks for sharing, and nice tape machines! I think I’ll eventually be putting a bit of absorption on the ceiling and first reflection point!

Is there a measurable difference between closed backs and false corners? 

And speaking of cabinet influences, are the top and side panels of the top hats relevant to the directivity or tonality of the mid and high end?

19 hours ago, Jer_Hy said:

@jcmusic thanks for sharing, and nice tape machines! I think I’ll eventually be putting a bit of absorption on the ceiling and first reflection point!

Is there a measurable difference between closed backs and false corners? 

And speaking of cabinet influences, are the top and side panels of the top hats relevant to the directivity or tonality of the mid and high end?

Yes the treatment will do wonders for the sound in a small room, as for the difference between closed in backs and false corners I can not speak. I have never had the false corners...

quick update: put together something in between false corners and an enclosure, maybe someone's done it like this but if not here's yet another variation...Used one sheet of 3/4 birch ply. The walls extend just about 2 ft from the tailboard, braced from behind and they're exactly as tall as the bass section. Happy to have some freedom to move them around a bit!

IMG_1690.jpg

Edited by Jer_Hy

1 hour ago, Jer_Hy said:

quick update: put together something in between false corners and an enclosure, maybe someone's done it like this but if not here's yet another variation...Used one sheet of 3/4 birch ply. The walls extend just about 2 ft from the tailboard, braced from behind and they're exactly as tall as the bass section. Happy to have some freedom to move them around a bit!

you are going at a great length to improve the sound , but ,  enclosing the backs of the khorns would allow you to position the speakers in such a way , so as to hear an instant amelioration