promedia 2.1 Headphone Bad Sound Quality?

MrMojo

I just picked up a new Promedia 2.1 (Costco Sale) to replace one that is 10 years old and the audio quality coming when using my headphones connected to the headphone jack on the side of the speaker is horrible. It is as if there is some EQ / filter that cuts out all the low end so there is no bass. If I plug my headphones directly to my computer the audio quality is fine, but when jacked into the port on the side of the speaker it just all goes flat. I actually retuned the first one I bought today because I thought it was broken, but this second one I just swapped for sounds the same. Anyone else notice this? 

• 2 months later...

MrMojo
Mine has the exact same problem. I just bought it at Costco on 11/6/20 and sound through headphone jack is terrible... tinny and thin but fine directly using the PC jacks. This is unacceptable to me because I often listen to music or play a video game through my headphones to avoid disturbing my wife at the PC next to me. Thanks for your experience and heads up about not trusting a replacement which is likely to be the same problem.   I will be returning my purchase next week for credit.

• 1 year later...

Count me in, too.  I just replaced my original set (which had very good headphone output) with a brand new set from Klipsch.  The headphone output is awful, and I would tend to agree that there's some kind of problem with the signal - indeed, it's almost as if a filter was misconfigured or something.  I'm going to keep looking at this to find out what the story here is...

• 1 year later...

I use my headphones A LOT, and this is really a problem. That said, this speaker system is ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL, (again, headphone jack issue not withstanding). I bought it to replace an Altec Lansing 2.1 set, that was amazing, from 20 yrs ago. You have made a great, affordable speaker system, just PLEASE figure out the headphone output. Thank you folks