Recommend 15 or 18" higher end subs

boricua2480

I'm looking for people to send me way down the subwoofer rabbithole and provide me with  suggestions on higher end models since I've been out of the loop. Im mainly interested in 15" or 18" models, but will consider 12's or whatever also. I'd love to start down this rabbithole again so send me in deep. My current 7.1.4 gear is listed below and I use it 80% for music and 20% for Movies/TV. 

Pre/Pro - Lexicon MC-10

Amps - two Bryston 8B-ST's + Lexicon DD-8 

Front L/R - Klipsch CF-4's or KPT-456's depending on mood

Center - Klipsch KV-4 

Side & Back Surrounds - Klipsch KPT-200's

Atmos - Klipsch R-1650-C's

Subwoofers - Klipsch R-115SW's

Conditioner - Panamax MR5100

• 5 weeks later...

I use 2 Captivator 1400s and their output is ridiculously obnoxious. Not as good for music but for movies I have not heard better. I'd rather watch a movie at home than any theater. I went with the 1400 only because I found one locally for $1,000. Ordered a 2nd one new so for less than $3,500 I have bass like I never dreamt I'd have. I think there is a chance I would be happier with 2 Captivator S1s only because they "should" do better with music while still preforming well in my 200 sq ft room for movies. I have no reason to chase that improvement though because luckily I have Chorus IIs in another room for music. With proper setup of the electronics I could probably dial them in better for music but for now I am happy.

With your listening needs I'd lean towards sealed subs.

An added bonus to having a system with truly substantial bass capability it makes nearly everything better. There is so much more to hear when watching tv that you never knew about with a system that cannot dig ultra deep. Even though I bought all of his plans I never got a chance to build a large Bill Fitzmaurice horn sub and now I don't have a reason to :)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

boric2480, JTR's shop is somewhere near Chicago so if you went with his offerings you may be able to save a fair amount of money if you could pick them up locally.

Nice! I'd definitely pick them up since I go to Chicago often to see family.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nitrofan said:

I disagree with the myth that a smaller speaker is "quicker"  a larger speaker doesn't have to move as much as a smaller one. There is no such thing as fast or slow bass. Only accurate or inaccurate. 

Correct.  Its more about motor strength than cone size.

4 hours ago, nitrofan said:

I disagree with the myth that a smaller speaker is "quicker"  a larger speaker doesn't have to move as much as a smaller one. There is no such thing as fast or slow bass. Only accurate or inaccurate. 

Though I do believe this theory/fact, it sure seems like my RSW-10d(before it crapped out) is "faster" than both my SB13 Plus and B15.  Then, after my RSW took a dump, I moved the Revel B15 in with the Yamaha/RB-75 rig and that shot any notion that the 10" was faster than the 15" right out of the sky.  Room acoustics and integration was the key.

Bill