Proper Cornwall Speaker Placement in Room

merkinman

Just received the Cornwall IVs and have a 14' x 21' dedicated room that doubles as a home theater.  I placed the speakers on the short wall, a few inches off the side wall and and a couple of feet off the front wall.  I know it's room dependent, but would be interested in others experiences of how to best position these in the room.  Will be experimenting, but wanted to hear what others found to be best.  

• Like 2

Congrats! 

Looks like you are doing everything correct for the room.

Only thing I would do eventually is to place the speakers flat against the wall or near firing straight on towards the opposite walls.

Did this before and liked the results using Chorus.

If that screen is flat against the wall, you can try placing in and out of the corners more with your toe-in.

Edited by billybob
Screen Welcome to the forum!
  • Like 2

Congratulations on your new Cornwalls.

There is probably not a simple answer since rooms differ in many ways. However, some tedious experimentation (listen, adjust, listen, adjust .... ) is your best bet.

Overall sound stage will be most impacted by the listening angle (two speaker and chair define the triangle), spaciousness is most impacted by the toe-in, and overall bass is most impacted by the distances from the adjacent walls. Reflections from the side walls will impact other audio qualities as well. There are, of course, some other interactions but I am being brief.

This experiment will not go quickly since it is time intensive and you should shoot for a systematic method for varying the above factors (angle, wall-distance(s), and toe-in). Try and use the same music samples (well-recorded ones) over and over again and take notes. 

It is a worthwhile endeavor and will have a much bigger impact than many of the other things you will be reading about on any audio forum.

Good luck. 

-Tom

• Like 1

'Proper' isn't really a thing... unless you are speaking mainly about data (measurements).

do what sounds best to you and consider changes in placement, AND rotation, flavors of sound.

is your listening position against a wall or are you sitting in 'space'?

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

'Proper' isn't really a thing... unless you are speaking mainly about data (measurements).

do what sounds best to you and consider changes in placement, AND rotation, flavors of sound.

is your listening position against a wall or are you sitting in 'space'?

I sit about 10' back with another 8' feet behind me.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I would like to recommend an unconventional method hope you have a try and let me know the result.

Your two speakers are place too symmetrical from the side wall. I believe the sound now is quite flat and lifeless no matter what cable or components you used.

Try offset the whole system about 10cm to the right or left depending on your preference, with one of the speaker nearer to the side wall than the other. 

Now the depth and soundstage should be alive naturally, and the system sings.

Hope that helps you enjoy music better.

• 2 months later...

I have the Cornwall 3's in a dedicated listening room 16' x 20' and I started out on the short wall, but they didn't really shine until I put them on the long wall, in the corners at a 45 deg angle.

My speakers are a little over 13' apart ,inside front corner to inside front corner, you may have to place yours a little closer being 14' wide vs 16' , but it is free to try.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, merkinman said:

Here's a pic of the room.  Not much wiggle room but can move them back against the wall and also change the toe in.

IMG_0556 (1).jpg

, I would place them on the corners of the walls and call it a day ---remember a Cornwall , is Corner wall ,  for short -

Mine imaged best tucked all the way into the corners of my room and toed in slightly to cross several feet behind the listening position (20-30 degrees).  This obviously improves the bass response too.   My room is just a couple feet wider and deeper than yours.

• Like 1

This is what I ended up with. 
I installed furniture sliders under my CWIVs. I would suggest you do the same. You can thank me later haha. 
Also be sure you have a tape measure handy. I don’t know about you but I’m super OCD about the speakers being perfectly symmetrical and a tape measure will help you achieve just that. 

901D0C4E-8348-4166-A3EE-C7356B28E59E.jpeg

Just to add: my room is pretty damn small. 10.5ft wide X17ft long and only 7ft tall ceilings. I think Klipsch recommends CWIVs be 6 feet apart minimum and that's about exactly what mine are. They also recommend ceilings of 8ft tall minimum and I'm a good foot under than recommendation. I don't notice any kind of wild reflections or anything though and the sense of scale is still amazing. 

I'm still not 100% sure on the "best" toe-in placement in my room, I still have experimenting to do.