5.1.2 Atmos Setup - 190sqft

Astroniz

Hey! Newbie here. 

First of all, thank you for letting me join this awesome community.

So I'm building a house, and in my basement my wife let me build my own Cinema/Sports room. I started to check out all Home Theater setups and Klipsch kept showing up. I'm really new to this, so I don't really have any idea what speakers to choose. But here goes:

I'm looking for a 3000/3500$ setup, Including sound and Receiver. 

The setup should be a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 (Should i stay with 1 subwoofer, or get one more?)

The room is in the basement, so it has nice acustics, but I will still add some sound proof padding around the room, to get the extra cinema feeling.

It's 4 meters X 4,5 meters (13 feet x 15 feet more or less).

The FRONT speakers will be floor standing tall ones, and the REAR ones will be Bookcase ones. 

The ATMOS speakers have they're connections ready in the ceiling. 

Could anyone help me with a good setup? I checked some examples of RP6000f Setups and R41SA's for the Atmos, is that enough or is something like a RP610 better? Should i go lower as i might not need that much? What about the Subwoofers, is the SPL100 enough or do I need 2, or would you go lower?

I'll leave a deisng of how the room should go. Sorry about meter system vs feet system, I'm european!vfeiP7V.png

Edited by Astroniz

11 minutes ago, willland said:

Surrounds on side slightly behind ears in seating position.

Bill

That's how they are positioned though, the Screen should be on the below part of the picture. 

Have any sugestions as for the models of the speakers for around 2500$ total?

50 minutes ago, Astroniz said:

Oh, so a bit more to the center, ok

It sounds like you are referring to the centre of the back wall. But as @willland suggested, they should be on your side wall, either next to your listening position or slightly behind. Here's a diagram of what Dolby recommends for a 5.2.2 setup. 

5.1.2 Overhead Speaker Placement

I recommend you study the recommendations on this page, and then make adjustments to your specific needs from there: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-setup-guide/

Update: The exception to the above recommendation would be if your couch is pushed right up against the back wall (although even then I'd put them on the side wall, rather than the rear wall), or you don't have any space on your side walls. Then you may need to consider mounting them on the rear wall...

2 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Update: The exception to the above recommendation would be if your couch is pushed right up against the back wall (although even then I'd put them on the side wall, rather than the rear wall), or you don't have any space on your side walls. Then you may need to consider mounting them on the rear wall...

Ok, got it, and yea, couch/chairs won't beright next to the wall, they will be 50/70cm in front of it.

Thank you all for the disposition of the hardware.

Now does someone have any kind of help regarding the setup itself? Are 260f/280f much different from 6000/8000?

1 hour ago, Astroniz said:

Well so far this hasnt been helpful at all.

Sorry bud, but I don't have any personal experience with the specific speakers you are asking about, so I could only assist you with the layout issues.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:06 PM, Astroniz said:

Could anyone help me with a good setup? I checked some examples of RP6000f Setups and R41SA's for the Atmos, is that enough or is something like a RP610 better? Should i go lower as i might not need that much? What about the Subwoofers, is the SPL100 enough or do I need 2, or would you go lower?

As far as in-ceiling speakers for Atmos goes, I use the PRO-180RPC IN-CEILING speakers, and can highly recommend them. They will go well with any of the RP and RF series of speakers.

As for the RP41SA atmos speakers you are considering, those are more intended to bounce the sound off the ceiling instead being mounted in the ceiling, or alternatively as height elevation speakers on the wall. From the product description on Klipsch's website:

", the R-41SA bounces sound off the ceiling to create an astonishing, immersive listening experience. The R-41SA can also be utilized as an on-wall elevation or surround speaker via its easy-to-use keyhole mounting system - delivering the perfect angle for enhanced sound effects."

Since you already have the wiring in the ceiling for in-ceiling speakers, I don't think you should be looking at these... rather get actual in-ceiling speakers.

And then as for the SPL100, I would rather save up and get the SPL-150 if I was you. Then later you might even want to add a second one to distribute the bass more evenly... in my humble opinion you can't have too much bass, but you can definitely have too little...  🙂

I think that's about as much as I can help you. Hopefully someone else has experience with the RP range you are asking about. 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, Astroniz said:

Are 260f/280f much different from 6000/8000?

From my understanding, the 260F/280F speakers are the first generation Reference Premiere and are basically the same engineering design as the new version 6000F/8000F speakers but without the newer cosmetic updating.

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F Ebony (pictured with included grille removed)Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F Angled view with grille removed

1 hour ago, Astroniz said:

Well so far this hasnt been helpful at all.

I hope the above answer helps.

Bill