Heresy HBR ( I or II )

Federico

Hi guys first post on this forum :). I recently buy a nice pair of klipsch heresy, they look old to me, I expected to have alnico magnets. On the back label it's written HBR and once opened up I found ferrite magnets, and I was surprise. On the drivers I read k-77-something-i-cant-read, K-53-K, K-22-K. Crossover type E. Are they model I, model II or just HBR or a model II variation? And are they more or less valuable than an alnico magnet serie? Are they 96 or 99 db efficency? Be gratefull if somebody will be able to answer. I am curious :)

101.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

3 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Might be the V1.5, because the crossover actually is E2?  So they were the version in 1984 IIRC, where Heresy was in transition between V1 and V2. 

ding, ding! we have a winner

Never officially called V1.5 but that is what you have.

No real effect on price. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

these speakers are Heresy 1 as the 1,5 designation was never officially used by klipsch and I agree fully with @MookieStl and @MC39693 --------starting  around 83-84 Klipsch switched from the Alnico K55V to the K52H which is a Heppner midrange driver , it is actually an excellent driver , and it sounds great -but most still prefer the ATLAS  K55V -PD5VH -ALNICO

The K52H was made by Heppner until  klipsch bought the tooling from Heppner and made it's own version of the K52H  , which was by now called a K53 -

the tag would read HERESY 1 ------the H II  series used a MDF cabinet that was sealed , and that replaced the K77M with a K76 along with a K24 Woofer and an updated round or square  revision crossover ------

the tags on your speakers should be similar to this 1985 HBR  , except that the serial number of your speakers are from 1983 based on the tag in the top of the wood cabinet at the rear -

heresy-v1-birch-raw.jpg

• Like 1

For what it’s worth I’ve got a pair of 1983 HBRs very similar to yours. Same crossovers & drivers. I also have a pair of 1980 HBRs. In my opinion the ‘83s (version 1.5?) are the better of the two pairs. They just seem to have better bass, and Just a fuller sound. Interestingly, I’d always assumed they had the same components,  and thought the difference must be in my head. At least until recently when I opened them up and saw the difference. 

E9AC2696-2714-4B91-A124-A1486CBDA0CE.png

4BE9DCCD-849B-4106-960A-881945FFC126.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 4:06 AM, Federico said:

Grate! Plenty of infotmations by now! Thanks to everybody!!!

You're quite welcome.  The members here love to help people!  Rule of thumb, if the back is attached with screws, it's version 1.  Or the unofficial 1.5.

• 1 year later...