Recommended minimal room size for Jubs

USNRET

I am putting the haunted house up for sale and am actively looking for a replacement.
I want to have at least a pair of Jubilees if not 3 to combine into an HT. I currently have 3 Cornwall IIIs that might serve as surrounds along with a pair of SVS PB4000s. If lucky I would go with an HT in one room and a dedicated 2 channel room.
I told the realtor that I miss my dedicated basement back in GA and she is asking about my room requirements.
Jub dudes what do you have to say?
Current amp is a 7 channel 200 wpc McIntosh but I don't limit myself to that for the HF. Too bad the VRDs, MC2000 and MC275s are gone

I have my jubs in an 11x13 room with 10 foot ceilings and it rocks for solo listening.  More than one person gets crowded and sweet spot is very small so only one person at a time gets the good spot.  Would I like a larger room? Heck yeah.  Does this small one work fine for escaping from reality and immersing myself in music? Yes.  I think for a HT setup it would be a tad bit small 

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

...I want to have at least a pair of Jubilees if not 3 to combine into an HT...If lucky I would go with an HT in one room and a dedicated 2 channel room.
I told the realtor that I miss my dedicated basement back in GA and she is asking about my room requirements...Jub dudes what do you have to say?...

Mike, Roy has always said that the best loudspeakers for small rooms are Jubilees.  Unlike Khorns, Jubilees (assuming here you're talking time aligned Jubs), have no real minimum listening distance--perhaps as a practical matter about 3 feet minimum.

The real limitation that I've run into are reflections from the loudspeakers from the back of the room--opposite corner.  The sound goes to the back of the room and bounces. You can fill the back of the room with absorbent material to mitigate that, but the room is going to feel "really small" if you do, and will require pretty frequent vacuuming/dusting.

So with that in mind, I'd recommend about 13-14 feet minimum distance horizontally, and perhaps 16-18 feet depth, minimum.  Ceiling height isn't an issue with Jubs, but it's nice to have at least 8 feet, with 9 being a lot more "airy". 

Here's a relative room size map from D'Antonio's Room Sizing and Optimization at Low Frequencies paper, for small rooms, that you can use to find good relative room sizes to avoid bass mode issues (good ratios are in darker colors).  Just use the minimum dimension of the room (usually the height) to divide by the other two dimensions to find where you're at on this plot:

1716428396_50m3DAntonioroomproportionmap.PNG.efbee9ec6e9f12021fb1eec4cb24cd6a.PNG

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Chris, does a void between the speakers create issues; doors, hallway, fireplace? How about OPEN areas where the room is huge due to living / dining / kitchen combined? What effect with very high ceilings (18-20')?

Would you consider a trip to Corpus once we get the house, speakers and other equipment purchased?  I can do gas, room, meat and adult beverages as long as Carl doesn't barge in. 

15 hours ago, USNRET said:

Chris, does a void between the speakers create issues; doors, hallway, fireplace?

Only if the wall openings are within 3 feet of the bass bins.  You're still using Jubilees as corner horns, so that first 3-4 feet from the room corner is important for bass extension.  Other than that, it's actually better in that it creates virtual "absorption surfaces" along the wide walls or even the front or back walls. 

Fireplaces between the Jubs on the front wall creates imaging issues, in my experience.  I fixed my room by placing absorbent squares within 3-4 feet of the K-402/bass bin horn mouths.  Before that, however, there was no center imaging.  Now the imaging is seamless and wall-to-wall.

How about OPEN areas where the room is huge due to living / dining / kitchen combined?

This is something that you want: more depth of the room (my room is 40 feet long including the kitchen, and the sound s glorious). 

What effect with very high ceilings (18-20')?

If the ceilings are not vaulted, i.e., flat, then it's great.  If there is a tilted ceiling, not so good.  If vaulted like a church sanctuary, then you'd need higher rather than lower ceilings--18-20 feet is good, 12-14, not so good.  The problem with tiled ceiling/wall boundaries is that they focus the sound back to the listening position, and you'll usually wind up having to cover most of the ceiling with absorbent to kill the strong reflections. 

Chris

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Would you consider a trip to Corpus once we get the house, speakers and other equipment purchased? 

Yes.  We can talk about that via PM.

Chris

5 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

Oh no! These are frankensteins made from jbl bassbins and klipsch k402 tops.  For me the direct radiator hit tops the folded horn sound.  To each their own, but for me ive reached the top of the mountain 

---Yeah , I was just kidding   seeing the JBL cabs ---- but they sure seem to be a great fit with the K402 ---JBL makes some real fine woofers , if not some of the best  , they do have a punchy bass -

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

---Yeah , I was just kidding   seeing the JBL cabs ---- but they sure seem to be a great fit with the K402 ---JBL makes some real fine woofers , if not some of the best  , they do have a punchy bass -

Crazy thing is that those are dual 18" woofers and that horn makes them look small

• 2 weeks later...

Found this house but have yet to visit; waiting on appointment. How would the ceiling treatment affect the sound? I was told that the place above the garage is one large bedroom and a bath. I have no dimensions.

here's a zill link https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4217-River-Hill-Dr-Corpus-Christi-TX-78410/28862841_zpid/?

River Hills room 1.JPG

River Hills garage room.JPG

You're okay.  The issue is canted walls that direct the reflections that would otherwise bounce twice--once on a wall, once on the ceiling (and thus be diffused and attenuated well), turning those ceiling-wall reflections into one-bounce reflections back to the listening position, which is the problem with canted walls/ceiling.

In fact, the coffered (actually tray) ceiling shown here would actually break up ceiling reflections better than a plain, flat ceiling, which is better acoustically.

Chris

Thanks for the input; there are several rooms that incorporate different ceiling 'features'.  I am told this room is 12x15 but the photo must be deceiving. Still wanting to know what that upper garage space looks like. Possibly bad as no mention of it in the listing....

River Hills 3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...