Filing a UPS claim

EmilC

I guess it was my turn.

A preamp I sold was received damage. I shipped it in the original manufacturers box which I thought had very good packaging.

Seller sent pictures which showed one corner of the preamp damaged and one channel is dead 

So I filed a claim with UPS the sam, day. Now what happens? Does UPS go and investigate the package at the buyers home?

I wanted to arrange to have it sent back to the manufacturer asap for repairs or do I need to wait?

Anyone been through the process already? Whats the next step? How long before I hear from UPS? How long does to whole process usually  take? How long before I can have it shipped back to the manufacturer?6666666666666.jpg.e2a68cb65c6979da46534080f5a6e5c1.jpg

5555555555555.jpg

• Sad 1

Darn people just don't give a *&%# about anything but themselves now a days!

That's too bad, I mean factory packing is usually fantastic seems like they try to mess things up sometimes... yea I've seen several of those front door-bell videos.

1 hour ago, EmilC said:

Anyone been through the process already? Whats the next step? How long before I hear from UPS? How long does to whole process usually  take? How long before I can have it shipped back to the manufacturer?

Not sure about it all, and the C19 might have their people piled under. 

I received an RC64 that was damaged in transport. I saved the packing, boxes and everything. They denied my claim for the first two levels, but I went up the food chain enough that they agreed to send someone out to inspect the damage to the speaker and the shipping materials. They never did the inspection, but they did send me a check and picked the speaker up by the regular route driver. 

Write everything down (emails, phone calls, etc...), take pictures and keep your facts. I haven't shipped anything for a while. When I do, I take lots of pictures... all the way to showing the condition of the item or the box that it's in, while it is sitting on their counter, scales, with an employee in  the picture or something that shows how it was when they got it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Not sure about it all, and the C19 might have their people piled under. 

I received an RC64 that was damaged in transport. I saved the packing, boxes and everything. They denied my claim for the first two levels, but I went up the food chain enough that they agreed to send someone out to inspect the damage to the speaker and the shipping materials. They never did the inspection, but they did send me a check and picked the speaker up by the regular route driver. 

Write everything down (emails, phone calls, etc...), take pictures and keep your facts. I haven't shipped anything for a while. When I do, I take lots of pictures... all the way to showing the condition of the item or the box that it's in, while it is sitting on their counter, scales, with an employee in  the picture or something that shows how it was when they got it. 

Shouldn't the seller/shipper have to deal with UPS?

Ah yes; USPS not UPS. McIntosh C-28 preamp purchased on the bay. I asked for factory boxes; seller is all no sweat, I am an expert. Wife calls and says that she had notice in mailbox that I had a package to pickup. Being nice (back then) she rushed down, inquired and had the USPS dude load it in her car's trunk. I was OH NO, did you inspect it? No, it's still in the trunk.

Get home, look and immediately knew I was going to have problems. No factory boxes and the one used was crushed. Yo! Didn't you even look at the box? No, why?
Ran down to post office with unopened box and asked for management. Opened it; yep, in pieces. USPS told me to fill out required forms and give them the preamp. Ok, what is the process?
USPS makes a claim to the office somewhere in flyover land to see if it will be covered. Soooooo where will the item be, I asked. Oh, we throw it in a bonded DUMPSTER (inside a chain link fence) until we get approval / disapproval. so if disapproved when can I get my preamp back? NEVER, it will be disposed of!

Seller eventually made good having audio classic send me the required parts.

That was in a backazz town in GA.

My current UPS driver knows me since he delivers to my work, is really careful with my stuff and if something looks amiss he tells me to refuse acceptance and let UPS / seller work it.

1 hour ago, veloceleste said:

Unfortunately UPS will probably make things as difficult as possible. On a positive note, LTA is a wonderful company to deal with.

I expect them to. 

Unless the package is lost, I expect them to weasel out of this any way they can

2 hours ago, EmilC said:

I guess it was my turn.

A preamp I sold was received damage. I shipped it in the original manufacturers box which I thought had very good packaging.

Seller sent pictures which showed one corner of the preamp damaged and one channel is dead 

So I filed a claim with UPS the sam, day. Now what happens? Does UPS go and investigate the package at the buyers home?

I wanted to arrange to have it sent back to the manufacturer asap for repairs or do I need to wait?

Anyone been through the process already? Whats the next step? How long before I hear from UPS? How long does to whole process usually  take? How long before I can have it shipped back to the manufacturer?

does the insurance coverage you added cover the cost of the Preamp's  sale value ,

3 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

does the insurance coverage you added cover the cost of the Preamp's  sale value

I insured it for what I sold it for.

In a perfect world, I expect to be reimbursed for the cost of repairs or what I insured it for if lost

Just now, EmilC said:

I insured it for what I sold it for.

In a perfect world, I expect to be reimbursed for the cost of repairs.

I would not worry about it , since shipping an item in a  manufacturer's box  should not be interpreted as bad packaging , and they should pay for the insured value of the package

16 hours ago, EmilC said:

Shouldn't the seller/shipper have to deal with UPS?

In my case, I bought the speaker from someone on CL, then a former member of this forum shipped it to me. I was not going to involve the shipper in my claim of how it was damaged. I stayed on track of who was responsible for the damage. The outer box was caved in far enough that the padding and inner box and all the way to the corner of the speaker, and it was damaged. It took a high fall or was damaged by a forklift. 

Update:

UPS representative showed up at the buyers house unannounced yesterday to inspect the damage. As luck would have it, I had the buyer bring the preamp to the UPS store that day to have it sent to the manufacturer for repairs.. If either I or the buyer was informed that a UPS rep was coming or even if that was the next step in the process, we would have held the preamp at the home. The buyer told the rep which UPS store the preamp is located since it was just dropped off a couple of hours ago. Hopefully, the rep went to the  UPS store and not just report that the preamp was unavailable for inspection.

So what I have learned so far is that whatever packing you use it may not be enough and if you make a claim on an expensive item, expect a UPS rep to show up for inspection

Sorry for being negative but having worked at a warehouse dealing with UPS I doubt you will have any luck. Sorry. The standard cop out line UPS always takes is not properly packaged. Trucking companies are no better. Unless a company is doing a lot of biz with said trucking co. they will not pay for damages. I saw large equipment that was obviously dropped with severe damage and they would not pay unless taken to court. They know lawyer cost would be more than product. 

That being said good luck and I hope for your sake I am wrong. 

Expect UPS and FedEx both to show up to inspect the Packinging and the Damages om any claim. Further they will ask that they take the item with them if its a full value claim.  I had them ruin some paint work for a Harley some years ago as well as a pair of tannoy speakers and a Pioneer 909 Tape deck. It was an eye opening experience at just how useless the Insurance really is.  Basically if you want to get actual coverage you need to have UPS or PedEx do the actual packaging which In my experience is a JOKE They love those damn peanuts

Good luck with the claim

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

No, I'm not expecting anything from UPS and have read from past audiophiles that their cop out is always improper packaging.

In other words, if they can break it, it wasn't packed properly. Looking at the box, it wasn't dropped by some careless UPS worker. It was crushed in one corner by some machinery. I'm confident that the item would survive a 10 foot drop.

I would assume that would be a harder excuse to pull off if the package was lost. How do they deny a claim then? 

So if I understand correctly, If UPS store packs it, they cannot dismiss a damage claim.

It cost me more than double to have the preamp shipped back to the east cost from Seattle using the UPS Store as It did shipping it there. In hindsight, its worth it.

Fortunately, the preamp is fixable and I don't believe it will take much to do.

Live and learn