Filing a UPS claim

EmilC

On 9/8/2020 at 6:57 PM, EmilC said:

I expect them to. 

Unless the package is lost, I expect them to weasel out of this any way they can

My wife ordered a Swiss Army watch for me for Christmas a few years back. She tracked it to the UPS main HQ in town, where it sat, and sat, and sat. Evidently, one of the seasonal help temps they hired got it. UPS paid up since it never left their facility.

1 hour ago, EmilC said:

Thanks guys.

No, I'm not expecting anything from UPS and have read from past audiophiles that their cop out is always improper packaging.

In other words, if they can break it, it wasn't packed properly. Looking at the box, it wasn't dropped by some careless UPS worker. It was crushed in one corner by some machinery. I'm confident that the item would survive a 10 foot drop.

I would assume that would be a harder excuse to pull off if the package was lost. How do they deny a claim then? 

So if I understand correctly, If UPS store packs it, they cannot dismiss a damage claim.

It cost me more than double to have the preamp shipped back to the east cost from Seattle using the UPS Store as It did shipping it there. In hindsight, its worth it.

Fortunately, the preamp is fixable and I don't believe it will take much to do.

Live and learn

From the Pics of the damage it appears like the toroidal transformer slid hitting the case and causing it to bulge out. If thats the case it was dropped. No machine pushing on it can cause that unless it pushed all the way across damaging everything from one side till hitting the transformer and pushing it into the case.  A flat side drop from a decent height could EASILY cause this without apparent box damages. I had them crack a PCB doing that very thing Box looked perfect but the PCB did not and it left my possession playing fine.

42 minutes ago, joessportster said:

From the Pics of the damage it appears like the toroidal transformer slid hitting the case and causing it to bulge out. If thats the case it was dropped. No machine pushing on it can cause that unless it pushed all the way across damaging everything from one side till hitting the transformer and pushing it into the case.  A flat side drop from a decent height could EASILY cause this without apparent box damages. I had them crack a PCB doing that very thing Box looked perfect but the PCB did not and it left my possession playing fine.

I should have placed this on the box and everything would have been fine  :^)

image.jpeg.f2de654be01ef48fc13409d33c1bfc35.jpeg

2 hours ago, EmilC said:

You wish 🤣  I put 5 on just about every box I ship. 1 on top and 1 on each side.  I had a discussion with another gent a few days ago. He built wooden crates had fragile etc... and FedEx still destroyed and of course fought the claim. He pondered The more its marked the worse they seem to treat it

3 hours ago, EmilC said:

Wrong. I saw a UPS guy kick a box with that sticker on it and said something to him about doing it. His response was it was OK because they pack those kind of boxes better. Real gorilla's handle the box after you drop it off. 

11 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Wrong. I saw a UPS guy kick a box with that sticker on it and said something to him about doing it. His response was it was OK because they pack those kind of boxes better. Real gorilla's handle the box after you drop it off. 

Remember those horror stories about dropkicking package s a sport. Kind of like QC...those labels are possibly an invitation to play footsie with.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:01 AM, Davecv41 said:

My wife ordered a Swiss Army watch for me for Christmas a few years back. She tracked it to the UPS main HQ in town, where it sat, and sat, and sat. Evidently, one of the seasonal help temps they hired got it. UPS paid up since it never left their facility.

Sometimes things legitimately fall out of packages and we don't know what goes where. Seen it plenty in my 6 years loading trailers

On 9/8/2020 at 2:46 PM, EmilC said:

Does UPS go and investigate the package at the buyers home?

I used to work at a telescope/microscope company (late 1960s, early 1970s).  The largest portion of the sales were shipped via UPS, and they were packed extremely well.  One day a guy from UPS walked in with a large, heavy, expensive celestial telescope mirror that was broken in half, literally in two pieces.  He said, "I just want to confirm that this can't be repaired."  Silence.  Everyone just stared at him; some mouths may have fallen open.

• Haha 1