K402/MEH grills?

NBPK402

One thing I have noticed with my K402 MEHs...we are getting dust in the ports. I am def going to make some black grills (was going to have some wood grain printed grills made, but do not have the time to get the pic of a 4x8 sheet of veneer taken to send to the printer. I am currently trying to figure out the best way to make the frame, and how to attach it to the grills and be easy to remove. I am assuming most people who have done this install magnets in the frame, and then use the screws for the horn front to attach to magnetically...is this correct? Do you make a picture frame out of wood to attach...if so how thick and wide do you make the frame, or would it be best to use a sheet of plywood and cut the center out? I saw a video on parts express where they used plastic rectangular tubing and 90 degree ends that looked real nice and easy to make once you get the pieces.

Suggestions, examples, pics?

I use these cabinet bolts with low profile heads. On one set of horns, the bolts are attached to the horn flanges and the wood frame has neo-magnets that line up with the bolt heads. On the other speakers, the low profile bolts are countersunk and glued into the wood frame and the whole frame assembly is bolted directly to the K-402s. One pair of frames are just about 5/16" thick (1/4" plywood with added veneer), and the other pair are 5/16" HDF, cut from some engineered flooring planks which is stronger and flatter than the plywood, with my veneer glued on top. They are both just decorative frames without grill cloth, but I could easily wrap and staple some cloth onto either of these frame assemblies. I would go with a light weight cloth. A heavy grill cloth like on Heritage speakers might require a stronger wood frame. I have one of those plastic frame kits, still unused, and it seems like it could work for your application, but I prefer wood. 

IMG_4040.JPG.122c400ca957ef69d09e6e6240020992.JPG

• Like 1

I used four per frame. 1" diameter neo-magnets attached with double sided tape and short wood screws. I can always add more if I plan to host a crowded party after the corona virus goes away. 🙂  The bolt heads pictured above are 5/8" diameter, so you could use smaller magnets if you use more than four per frame.

• Like 1

I picked up some black material for the grills to see if my wife would wife would like it better, and even just held in place with clamps she said it looks much better...more like it is a piece of furniture in our living room now.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I just ordered some 1" neomagnets that have a recess for a screw head... I am thinking of gluing them inside a recess on 1/2" pine grill frame, and then use a button head or allen head for the horn. This way the head can fit in the magnet recess and the frame be flush with the horn.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, NBPK402 said:

I just ordered some 1" neomagnets that have a recess for a screw head... I am thinking of gluing them inside a recess on 1/2" pine grill frame, and then use a button head or allen head for the horn. This way the head can fit in the magnet recess and the frame be flush with the horn.

Good idea. I also should use a Forstner drill bit to cut a recess for my magnets, so the frame will fit tight to the horn.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one speaker with the grill that I made. You can see the magnets with the flash...the 2nd one I made I painted the magnets black...even though the magnets are not visible like they are in the picture. 826ce1294efbb063b0353d8ed218934b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk