Newbie, home theater

Y2K986

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Hi-Fi world, don't know a lot about it, so I'll be taking it slow, one step at a time. :)

Currently I'm thinking about buying some Klipsch R-820f speakers for my living room that is about 60m2. If I find a good deal I might go for RP-8000f. It's mostly for movies and some music.

In the same time I'm looking at spl-150sw as a subwoofer, or maybe a spl-120sw, we'll see.

If I like what I see and hear, the next buy will be some center speaker with a pair of surround speakers.

The "problem" I have is finding an adequate AVR. Currently I'm considering, simply because they give more than 150W per channel, but they might be an overkill

- Marantz SP6014

- Denon AVR-X3600H

Is there some other receiver which is a bit cheaper, since those 2 are quite pricey ? What is the usual recommendation for the Klipsch speakers ?

We will probably be moving soon, so the living room surface is likely to change.

I would like as much options that come with the AVR, so some recent receiver would be a good way to go.

Would you have some suggestions for me ? :) 

Any Marantz or Denon will be Great for Your System.

They both have high Quality Sound.

If you don't need Pre Outs for an Amp later,

look at lower priced Denons.

Ones with 80 watts will drive those speakers very well.

Welcome to The Forum

Thank you :) ,

There is one thing I don't understand.

Both of these speakers are rated at 150W and 8Ω, right ?

And if we take for example the Marantz SP6014, according to the manual it can give 110W at 8Ω, on two channels. Does that mean that even this AVR can't push them to the limit ?

If that is the case, how can one at 80W drive them properly ?

Thanks.

If you are going to want to drive your speakers at or near max - then you are right. Get a receiver that can provide 150W per channel (5 channels looking ahead to your center and surrounds). Be prepared to spend $$$ and maybe even go down the road of a getting a separate amplifier....or two.

However, I highly doubt you will want to run these at that level. 150W would be insanely loud. I suspect most people listen to their HT setups in the 40W to 50W range (this is a guess, anyone have a better number?).

My front speakers (RF-7) are rated at 250W/100W. I drive them off of a Yamaha RX-A3060 receiver and it cannot push close to 250W (maybe 130W iirc?). This is way more than I will ever need for my HT.

Also, do not get hung up on a Klipsch subwoofer. Lots of other brands out there some better than Klipsch.

2 hours ago, Y2K986 said:

Thank you :) ,

There is one thing I don't understand.

Both of these speakers are rated at 150W and 8Ω, right ?

And if we take for example the Marantz SP6014, according to the manual it can give 110W at 8Ω, on two channels. Does that mean that even this AVR can't push them to the limit ?

If that is the case, how can one at 80W drive them properly ?

Thanks.

Very little wattage is usually required to drive speakers to 

Normal Listening Levels.

Higher power levels are required for loud sounds.

More important is The Quality of the Amp over The Power Numbers.

Most AVR's are not Massive Beast that deliver 150 watts or more.

Many people use AVR's in the 75 to 100 watt range and do just fine.