dont want to be political

juniper

4 minutes ago, juniper said:

Are you getting weird post cards and mail that is fallacious centered around elections.... Just a yes or no?  Dont want this shut down, say what you will..... The stuff I have recieved is so far from the truth its scary........

Do you live in the suburbs?

• Moderators

It's not political as long as you don't get into content.

If the mailings are for a national election (there's only one, so I guess that narrows it down), I'm guessing you are in a swing state that's very close. Direct mail is very, very expensive for a national campaign, it's typically done when it's close. They typically are not by the national campaign or party, typically soft money that is issue, rather than party oriented. 

If they are for a for a Federal race, Senate or Congress, they are typically used where it is a close race. They are timed to go out either:

1. When early voting starts

2. When mail-in ballots are due to arrive and/or can be sent back; or

3. Set to arrive the day before election day  (Monday) which is why election day is on a Tuesday, because they don't deliver mail on Sunday.

It sounds like they are issue related mailings (as opposed to political party of candidate) and so those are paid for with special interest"soft money" unrelated to any political campaign, but clearly benefiting one candidate vs. the other. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Does anyone really read those?  If I were a candidate for anything, I wouldn’t be wasting funds or anyone’s time for them. Of course, I wouldn’t need them either since I’d be the perfect candidate and the overwhelming people’s choice.

They are designed to jump out at people who care about those particular issues. Here is some generic ones:

X wants to eliminate Social Security

Y wants to take your guns

Z voted to raise your double your taxes

However, they are much, much more inflammatory, Direct mail in national campaigns and Federal Statewide is geared, typically, to turn out voters in close races (or, I forgot to mention earlier) in a lopsided national race, to turn out voters in down ticket races, or local races.

This is Poly Sci 101 stuff. 

Has anyone watched the documentary on Netflix about the developers of social media platforms like FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc.? 

13 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Has anyone watched the documentary on Netflix about the developers of social media platforms like FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc.? 

I just watched the Frontline program on FB.  It's kind of funny how the whole premise is that it's FB's fault that its platform was used to push fake news, which resulted in Trump being elected.  No politics intended, but I'm curious why they couldn't figure out how the playing field was level.  Where's the expose on all the fake stuff on the other side?  

I see the problem with the algorithm which emphasizes polarizing material since it gets more likes.   We'll see how FB does at censorship and chosing our leaders.  I imagine it will not work out as well as many might hope. 

• Like 1

Two dimensional thinking.  It does help with keeping a concentration of power.  Didn't the founders worry about that?  Wasn't it more than one founders nightmare that we would end up with two entrenched camps simply fighting for power at the expense of all else?  Hell, don't take my word for it, look it up.  

21 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

They are designed to jump out at people who care about those particular issues. Here is some generic ones:

Y wants to take your guns

that's a big no no with ex-cops --------no one is giving up their guns -

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Define they.  Whatever or whomever, they are all lies.  Either way, it is a lie. You know it, but I see that you want to press on it, you know, just because we don't have the appropriate forum anymore.

I don't really care to beat a dead horse, but regarding the gun issue, when pols like Beto promise they want to take away your guns, I feel it is best to take them at face value.  (I'm not suggesting he means all guns, but my understanding is he means enough guns to warrant concerns by certain owners.)

19 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't really care to beat a dead horse, but regarding the gun issue, when pols like Beto promise they want to take away your guns, I feel it is best to take them at face value.  (I'm not suggesting he means all guns, but my understanding is he means enough guns to warrant concerns by certain owners.)

Kinda kicked him out of the race in a hearbeat.

There are a lot of gun owners in both camps.

I would like to discuss a certain issue, but we can't do it here... 🤐

• Like 1