dont want to be political

juniper

29 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I was referring to the bad operators  , we have to find a way to reduce these numbers  -and the numbers of mass shootings - that's my only concern , getting the least amount  of guns in the wrong hands

Sure, everyone wants that.  It's easier said than done.  Remember, we are talking about criminals, and the offense in this case would be "possession" of a firearm. 

• Moderators

I thought we were talking about political mailers, i.e., that you get in the mail that are blatantly false. Maybe I misread the original post. 

We are off in tall weeds on issues, revisiting Heller.

Nothing else about mailers, how they are used? 

Every Poly Sci major across the country studies examples of how they are used in National, State and local elections.

Another failed Travis experiment on whether a Topic, during an election cycle, can stay on track, outside of politics and political issues because of his eternal optimism?

Or did he use the wrong example?

Mailer arrives, clearly false, says Joe Candidate wants to end your social security. Anyone get something like that recently? If so, without identifying the party, candidate or group that sent it, was it issue focused by a special interest group? Was it from a particular campaign? From a particular party. Any idea why you got it? You are registered voter? Your state lists what party you registered with for primarys. You contributed to a candidate? You belong to a special interest group? You purchased a license that your state sells a mailing list (hunting license)? Do they cite sources in fine print, usually with footnotes, or is it just a allegation?

Blatantly false mailers don't typically get sent until right before the election so there is no time for other side to respond.

Mine typically get tossed before they reach me so I haven't been keeping track.

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

more in the sense of screening  some bad operators from getting their hands on certain types of weapons---

And exactly how do you do that? Make more gun laws that make it harder for law abiding citizens. Outlaws that live outside the law do not have to buy guns legally when all they have to do is buy them off the street at a cheaper price. Chicago has had a ban on handguns since 1982 so now there are no more shootings in Chicago? 

On 9/13/2020 at 1:16 PM, dwilawyer said:

Ex-Cop are exempt in Texas if they honorably retire. They can keep their gun, badge, etc. if they honorably retire.

In NY State  , you have to  surrender your Badge / Service gun / Gun Webbing / Holsters  ,  however they can exempt the Officer outright , although quite rarely except for the NY State Police -

- if the Officer  can show a receipt of payment from his pocket  for a gun/ badge etc , he does not have to surrender it -

-the Service guns are  resold by the NYS Police Depts  through a gun Dealer  ,  and  the Officers usually  have first pick  to buy the gun through the dealer at the set price would they want to  -

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

And exactly how do you do that? Make more gun laws that make it harder for law abiding citizens. Outlaws that live outside the law do not have to buy guns legally when all they have to do is buy them off the street at a cheaper price. Chicago has had a ban on handguns since 1982 so now there are no more shootings in Chicago? 

guns sold on the street are sold at a premium ,  unless they are Dirty -

Oultlaws can buy guns just like everybody else and some even carry hand guns with a permit  if they do not have a record , and if they own high risk businesses ,  and  having a criminal record  in some States  ,  cannot prohibit one from owning  a legally purchased  gun -

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2002/rpt/2002-R-0335.htm

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/firearm-prohibitions/

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

guns sold on the street are sold at a premium ,  unless they are Dirty -

Oultlaws can buy guns just like everybody else and some even carry hand guns with a permit  if they do not have a record , and if they own high risk businesses ,  and  having a criminal record  in some States  ,  cannot prohibit one from owning  a legally purchased  gun -

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2002/rpt/2002-R-0335.htm

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/firearm-prohibitions/

Guns bought on the street are much cheaper than at stores. This I know for a fact having worked on the bad side of town for 30 years. Sometimes as cheap as the next fix. I put my legally owned gun, with carry permit, in my pocket before leaving for work every morning. Had offers to buy guns all the time. That is where the outlaws sell them not what you hear on the news about fences and premium prices. The only thing that will help prevent gun crimes is quick and decisive punishment of outlaws. Not the slap on the wrist and how poor Billy was mistreated as a child and just bought a gun off the street and killed 2 or 3 people. Bad gun is what many want you to believe. Much easier to blame an inanimate object than the criminal.

Some people should not own guns just as some people should not have drivers license. But responsible law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Guns bought on the street are much cheaper than at stores.

Positively cheaper, the last 3 pistols I bought in the last 6 months were many times the cost of a street gun, but there legal and registered, well 2 out of three. The third one was one I sold a relative 35 years ago and bought back, they were not registered back then, was really glad to get it back. 

But responsible law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves. 

Of course, and we do.

In Mississippi a resident does NOT need a concealed carry permit to carry concealed, or open carry. That is different in Louisiana where I am from.

Self Defense

Mississippi is a Castle Doctrine state and has a “stand your ground” law. A person who is not the initial aggressor and is not engaged in unlawful activity shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force if the person is in a place where the person has a right to be. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Positively cheaper, the last 3 pistols I bought in the last 6 months were many times the cost of a street gun, but there legal and registered

The typical price of a street gun in the 70's was $25. A simple question for doubters. Let's say you have a stolen a gun. The average thief is an opportunist, not a sophisticated criminal, with  little or no planning. Where do you sell a stolen gun and not get caught and go to jail? At a premium price, I think not. Law abiding citizens will not touch it not wanting to receive stolen merchandise.  A thief has little options with a stolen gun. They usually get passed around to other thieves at rock bottom prices not what you are told by media or the movies. A fellow business owner on the same street I was on bought a gun off the street way back in the 70's. Turns out the gun was involved in a murder. After being stolen it was sold multiple times before he got it. The FBI came to him eventually after tracing all the leads and retrieved it. He was not charged with a crime back then being he bought the gun in good faith. A stolen gun bought off the street can get someone in a lot of trouble. Beware, know who you are buying a gun from.

The only gun laws that will prevent gun crime is on the criminal not law abiding citizens. An outlaw by the very definition lives outside the law and doesn't really care how many laws they break. Gun laws only hurt law abiding citizens but it sounds good when a politician says it is the gun and not the person doing the crime.  

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 5:30 PM, oldtimer said:

Not here.  Just cards from total Aholes trying to get elected or re-elected.  Just tore up two a minute ago right after delivery.

Same here,.....

Nothing fallacious, but I was hoping for something salacious.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, henry4841 said:

The only gun laws that will prevent gun crime is on the criminal not law abiding citizens.

I think Chicago proves that everyday.   

A few months ago i bought a semi auto 9mm it was $500, It's called American Ruger,  by far not on the high end of prices. For the same money I could have bought a wheelbarrow and filled it with illegal guns. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 2:07 PM, oldtimer said:

Two dimensional thinking.  It does help with keeping a concentration of power.  Didn't the founders worry about that?  Wasn't it more than one founders nightmare that we would end up with two entrenched camps simply fighting for power at the expense of all else?  Hell, don't take my word for it, look it up.  

I think John Adams was concerned about that, at least at first.  He was not in favor of there being two political parties, but thought citizens and candidates should take stands on individual issues, without a party position being a cloud over them.

When he mentions "Our Constitution" here, he probably means the Massachusetts Constitution, for which he had written the first draft -- the U.S. Constitution hadn't been written yet.

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."
-- John Adams, Letter to Jonathan Jackson (2 October 1780), "The Works of John Adams", vol 9, p.511

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, henry4841 said:

Turns out the gun was involved in a murder.The FBI came to him eventually after tracing all the leads and retrieved it. He was not charged with a crime

Laws have changed   he would be charged , in NYS  - it's Tolerance 0  -

• Moderators
5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

scary stuff - that bad ?

Yes, guns on the street are plentiful and cheap and usually only used for one thing.

It's the complete opposite of enthusiast,  we get legal guns for way more than 10 times the cost of a illegal gun. But we can not go to jail for just having it, big difference to me, NO gun is worth going to jail over for just owning it. 

If they want gun control, actually put people away for having a illegal gun instead of confiscation them and slap them on the hand. The will just buy another one cheap there all over.

It's really crazy, I would love to know the honest number of people in a major city who have an illegal gun, it would be shocking. In Chicago alone by June they had 1500 shooting in 2020, there expecting 3000 by the end of the year. Quite a few guns on the streets.

Don't punish the people who follow the law...well unless they break the law in some way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes, guns on the street are plentiful and cheap

wow , that's  definitely not the case in NYS ---but the cool thing is you guys can carry  , concealed or not ,  we can't , unless you're a shop owner with cash  or in a real danger of robbery , then you can carry non-concealed