What Da Heck Is "Live Streaming"?

thebes

I've heard this a lot since the pandemical hit. (Pandemical: an original word created by your own Thebes, trademarked of course)  I could be wrong, it could be a descriptor of someone who talks too much, "motor mouth" seemingly retired along with the age of the automobile.  I have to presume it has something to do with beer and having too much of it?

But then tonight my local awesome music hall (The Birchmere) sends me an email that says: Suzanne Vega, An Evening of New York Songs and Stories, Wed., Oct. 7, 9PM ET

Now I've been a big fan of Ms. Vega since forever, and I'm pretty sure her music has nothing to do with peeing. So maybe it alludes to her last name and has something to do with vegetables?

I'm confused. Again. Please help.

22 minutes ago, thebes said:

I've heard this a lot since the pandemical hit. (Pandemical: an original word created by your own Thebes, trademarked of course)  I could be wrong, it could be a descriptor of someone who talks too much, "motor mouth" seemingly retired along with the age of the automobile.  I have to presume it has something to do with beer and having too much of it?

But then tonight my local awesome music hall (The Birchmere) sends me an email that says: Suzanne Vega, An Evening of New York Songs and Stories, Wed., Oct. 7, 9PM ET

Now I've been a big fan of Ms. Vega since forever, and I'm pretty sure her music has nothing to do with peeing. So maybe it alludes to her last name and has something to do with vegetables?

https://www.guildhall.org/events/suzanne-vega-an-evening-of-new-york-songs-and-stories-live-streamed-from-the-blue-note-jazz-club/

Vega is originally the name of a star in the constellation Lyra. The name comes from the Arabic and means "snapping eagle".

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You need to focus on what is important, and that's not important right now.

Wine?

Check.

Music?

Check.

Killer , awesome sound system and vinyl?

Double check.

Friday Night?

Check.

More wine?

Check.

Will be live streaming (as I understand it) shortly?

Check.

OK. I'm pretty sure I've looked at all the pertinent boxes.  Oh, you're right. There's one that fell under my desk.  It say's "Funk".

Better check that one out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, thebes said:

water sports ?

Many years ago I traveled on business with a man who was younger then than I am now.  It used to annoy me that he always needed to know the location of the nearest restroom.  Now I know why.  After this talk of live streaming, I suddenly need to see a man about a horse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/12/2020 at 1:43 AM, MicroMara said:

https://www.guildhall.org/events/suzanne-vega-an-evening-of-new-york-songs-and-stories-live-streamed-from-the-blue-note-jazz-club/

Vega is originally the name of a star in the constellation Lyra. The name comes from the Arabic and means "snapping eagle".

Have you tried it already  @thebes

However, to contradict myself, for five dollars I can stream the album release of Rare Essence, one of the founding bands of DC's Go-Go music and support them. 40 years on as a band. That's cool. Hell, put me down for $10.

I'm going to email Suzanne Vega and ask her to support them.

• Like 1

Trouble Funk's "Drop da Bomb" is one that shows all of the basic elements of Go-Go.  It's a few minutes in on the "Tiny Desk Concert".

Go-Go could be dismissed as club music, but it is so much more.  When the Mother Ship returns from it's voyage to other planets, you know it will stop by DC just to pick up the Go-Go groove.

57 minutes ago, thebes said:

Trouble Funk's "Drop da Bomb" is one that shows all of the basic elements of Go-Go.  It's a few minutes in on the "Tiny Desk Concert".

Go-Go could be dismissed as club music, but it is so much more.  When the Mother Ship returns from it's voyage to other planets, you know it will stop by DC just to pick up the Go-Go groove.

Thebes asks,

First, I assume you are referring "streaming live music"

"Live Streaming" is kind of like live broadcasts on FM radio. Don't you remember Thebes? You know, something like a New Year's Eve Grateful Dead concert broadcast Live, or your favorite symphony orchestra broadcasting the concert Live or the Nebworth Concert in the U.K Live for 8 hours.

Well, same thing, except it's being "broadcast" over a digital network called the internet which uses a global system of interconnected computer networks that uses the internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to communicate between networks and devices. It's origins date back to the 1960's, when, as you know, vinyl was very popular.

18 minutes ago, artto said:

Thebes asks,

First, I assume you are referring "streaming live music"

"Live Streaming" is kind of like live broadcasts on FM radio. Don't you remember Thebes? You know, something like a New Year's Eve Grateful Dead concert broadcast Live, or your favorite symphony orchestra broadcasting the concert Live or the Nebworth Concert in the U.K Live for 8 hours.

Well, same thing, except it's being "broadcast" over a digital network called the internet which uses a global system of interconnected computer networks that uses the internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to communicate between networks and devices. It's origins date back to the 1960's, when, as you know, vinyl was very popular.

Yeah but with live streaming there is no one to offer up the LDS.