Klipsch bass response heritage line and RP/RF line

Msuwendy

Hi everyone

I need to discuss the bass response of the heritage line and the recent reference premier line such as the rp8000f floorstanding and the RF7 III bass response

Just a little background my first klipsch is the RP500M which later upgraded to RP600M as a newbie this audio world and this bookshelf have tons of bass and its very forward sounding, and the journey begins

So my dad is a new klipsch fanatics just this 2020, first he bought the heresy IV which is the entry level of heritage series, he's pretty facinated on how the heresy produce the sound especially jazz music, but what bothers him is with the 12 inch driver, it seems to be lacking the forward bass (he used to listen to old JBL monitors speaker 4333a) no matter where he puts it in the corner, but the detail and response leads him to buy the klipschorn 70th anniversary, and again its even amazing the soundstage, the clarity ,the detail served like its a live environment and yet again the bass response seems to be very laid back (but this will probably be the "case" Sound which can create the real Bass Drum beat which is amazing) 

So my question is the bass character for the heritage line is very lain back (cause i know klipsch speaker will try to recreate the live situation), my rp600m seems to have more forward bass than my dads rig, will the bigger brother rp8000f or the rf7 III have a forward bass response like in a chest kindda feeling? Recently i manage to buy Chrous 2 incredible speaker amazing, yet again the 15inch front driver and 15inch passive driver is not as "active", we like how klipsch speaker serving us the details and an efficient speaker (no need to sell kidney to buy high power amplifier) but one mystery is just the bass response

He use cayin 100T integrated all tube amp to run heresy 4 and i use the smaller la34 integrated all tube to run the chorus 2

Edited by Msuwendy
Wrong words
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, willland said:

@Msuwendy,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you compared all these speakers, including your dad's Heritage, in the same listening environment?  Same amplification, same placement?

Bill

Thanks

Yes actually we do compare on the same room and same position, with the same rig, all the heritage seems to have the same character on the bass its very laid back but not for the little bookshelf

Rp600 have a very forward bass for that little speaker

16 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I found the Chorus 2 to be very forward in the bass department. I also found them to be very accurate for a direct radiator speaker. I tried numerous amplifiers with them and thought they sounded best with high powered solid state. Especially my Yamaha M85. 

Ive position 6inch from the wall to get the best for liking, yes the bass is huge but its really hard to get the thump, maybe its my expectation that the 15inch will have a greater kick

May i know hows the overall sound for the solid state, i feel that klipsch is too tight and harsh if used with solid state amp maybe i havent found the correct one yet

My chorus is in stock now, waiting for the new crossover and ti tweeter from crites

19 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

If you want the chest thumping sound, you will need a sub. The RF7lll does pretty good in the bass department.

And that will be my next question in other forum regarding the subwoofer, yeah my dad use the subwoofer for the very low bass, i on the other hand love simplicity if possible

Cause here i cant actually listen to the speaker due to the COVID-19, if the super little brother RP600M bass can produce, i think that the RF7III will have the same response but better attack cause it got 10inch dual driver but i may be wrong, thanks

Edited by Msuwendy

20 minutes ago, Msuwendy said:

Thanks

Yes actually we do compare on the same room and same position, with the same rig, all the heritage seems to have the same character on the bass its very laid back but not for the little bookshelf

Rp600 have a very forward bass for that little speaker

Ive position 6inch from the wall to get the best for liking, yes the bass is huge but its really hard to get the thump, maybe its my expectation that the 15inch will have a greater kick

May i know hows the overall sound for the solid state, i feel that klipsch is too tight and harsh if used with solid state amp maybe i havent found the correct one yet

My chorus is in stock now, waiting for the new crossover and ti tweeter from crites

I found placement to be a little challenging with the chorus 2. I had mine further away from the wall, probably a foot at least. I thought it sounded good at all volume levels, but to really get the most out of them, you have to put some watts though them. The ti diaphragms and new crossover did help with the brightness. Dave A. here on the forum sells a mahl tweeter for them. I wish I would have tried them. I have them in my La Scala and they sound fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I found placement to be a little challenging with the chorus 2. I had mine further away from the wall, probably a foot at least. I thought it sounded good at all volume levels, but to really get the most out of them, you have to put some watts though them. The ti diaphragms and new crossover did help with the brightness. Dave A. here on the forum sells a mahl tweeter for them. I wish I would have tried them. I have them in my La Scala and they sound fantastic. 

Ya it is very true, i got problems with the vocal at first its too harsh, i position out of the center at it helped a bit, the stock  tweeter is a bit harsh and a bit dark if im not wrong, although its very efficient but yesh chorus 2 need power to let it all out, my dad heresy 4 do have better sound at low volume

Hows mahl tweeter compare to crites? Cause this is my very first time in the audio world and my first time upgrading

22 minutes ago, Msuwendy said:

And that will be my next question in other forum regarding the subwoofer, yeah my dad use the subwoofer for the very low bass, i on the other hand love simplicity if possible

Cause here i cant actually listen to the speaker due to the COVID-19, if the super little brother RP600M bass can produce, i think that the RF7III will have the same response but better attack cause it got 10inch dual driver but i may be wrong, thanks

I  think you're correct. The RF7lll is known as a "rock and roll" speaker, awesome bass from the dual 10" drivers. It's also a beautiful speaker, refined .

Just now, Msuwendy said:

Ya it is very true, i got problems with the vocal at first its too harsh, i position out of the center at it helped a bit, the stock  tweeter is a bit harsh and a bit dark if im not wrong, although its very efficient but yesh chorus 2 need power to let it all out, my dad heresy 4 do have better sound at low volume

Hows mahl tweeter compare to crites? Cause this is my very first time in the audio world and my first time upgrading

In my opinion, the mahl tweeter is better. You have a very nice set of speakers with the Chorus 2. Once dialed in, they should keep you satisfied for quite a long time. 

Just now, Ceptorman said:

I  think you're correct. The RF7lll is known as a "rock and roll" speaker, awesome bass from the dual 10" drivers. It's also a beautiful speaker, refined .

So yeah i do miss listening to the good ol led zeppelin, evh, guns, metallica, megadeth or even slipknot, and yeah its hard to play those on the heritage line

The RF7III might be a bit steep for the price but i can settle for the cina made RP8000F

2 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

In my opinion, the mahl tweeter is better. You have a very nice set of speakers with the Chorus 2. Once dialed in, they should keep you satisfied for quite a long time. 

Yeah to be honest this is my first 3 way and im very happy about it, its just sometimes i do miss my rock and roll and metal songs, with the heritage line it seems to excel at jazz, bigbands music, classical 

3 minutes ago, Msuwendy said:

I dont think i have much room to play around, do it need to be in a corner? Or just as long as it got walls behind it? 

Nickyboy6100 set up around a foot, whats yours? If i may know

Corners are best, and a little toed in.  Distance should be measured to the closest wall in that case.  If no corner available, then a wall behind will work, also a little toed in, and measure distance accordingly.  My forte IIs are in or near corners about 12 inches from the passive to the nearest wall.  My Chorus II's are not in corners, in a much bigger room than the fortes, and at least 15" from the wall, and even farther (on a highly reflective floor).  Too close is a larger error for placement than too far.

4 minutes ago, Msuwendy said:

Yeah to be honest this is my first 3 way and im very happy about it, its just sometimes i do miss my rock and roll and metal songs, with the heritage line it seems to excel at jazz, bigbands music, classical 

Blasting Led Zeppelin sounds just fine through either of mine.  They do excel at jazz as well.  The main thing is these speakers will reveal a great recording and expose a poor one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Corners are best, and a little toed in.  Distance should be measured to the closest wall in that case.  If no corner available, then a wall behind will work, also a little toed in, and measure distance accordingly.  My forte IIs are in or near corners about 12 inches from the passive to the nearest wall.  My Chorus II's are not in corners, in a much bigger room than the fortes, and at least 15" from the wall, and even farther (on a highly reflective floor).  Too close is a larger error for placement than too far.

Thanks a lot for the information ill try to adjust the room

Just now, oldtimer said:

Blasting Led Zeppelin sounds just fine through either of mine.  They do excel at jazz as well.  The main thing is these speakers will reveal a great recording and expose a poor one.

Yesh they do excel in jazz they are the best, and that is true as well they stay true, most of led zep song tend to be missing the bass on the recording, like for example rock and roll and whole lotta love they seem to be missing the "body" But chorus 2 love moby dick bonham drums is amazing through that speaker

I think engineers try to boost certain bass frequencies on smaller speakers to give a  better consumer impression. Some engineers try to be subtle about it so it doesn't look like they sold their souls to the Sound Devil just to sell speakers.

Also, I'll bet those engineers have studied consumer listening habits and concluded most people listen at much less than live sound levels. Problem is, bass levels trail off considerably at these lower levels. So they re-equalize the bass response of the speaker to sound "better" at these lower levels.

I think the Heritage Series doesn't make these compromises, and as a result they have the balls to sound accurate in the bass department as sound approaches live levels.

I remember a review of the Klipschorn in Stereo Review decades ago. While listening to material through them, the reviewer heard the sound of  a car door closing. He peaked out the drapes assuming a car had parked nearby. Instead, that sound effect is what he heard through the Klipschorns. He was amazed at the accuracy of the low frequency reproduction of that door closing through the speakers.

If your father can't crank his Heritage Series speakers and experience the same thing, it your room acoustics and not the speakers. An alternative solution would be to apply an equalizer to the speakers, which would probably be cheaper than a subwoofer.

• Like 3