Class A versus Class AB mode (Marantz PM7200)

MeloManiac

8 hours ago, Bubo said:

A B AB D T

The world of trade offs on any engineering design

With the Heritage - retro Klipsch the efficiency makes the A decision

more affordable and a reasonable weight

.5 watts on the LaScallas is screaming, 2 watts is unbearable in my space

SET's were made for horns. All tube SET's are class A.

8 hours ago, Bubo said:

Nelson Pass published a series of amplifier designs he called Zen's and those were the ones I were referring to. The culmination of the one output transistor ones is the Amp Camp that has become extremely popular. http://www.firstwatt.com/articles.html

Just for reference though I have built the Decware Zen amplifier but I built mine from schematic and still have it. Very nice little amplifier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Joe Bonamassa, never married, said being single one does not have to split half you assets at some time in the future.  

It also gives you the freedom to make really stupid investment decisions, like starting your own business, by which you can lose all of your assets.

Starting your own business is a very scary thing which I did and loved it. No boss and the harder I worked the more money I made. Not necessarily what happens when you work for someone else. Many times your effort is ignored. In fact a new employee with less skills will sometimes start out with a higher salary than you. On the other side there are advantages of working for a company or someone else. The biggest difference I saw was that I looked forward to going to work on Monday and not dreading it. Getting off the OP topic as threads have a way of doing. 

5 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Starting your own business is a very scary thing which I did and loved it. No boss and the harder I worked the more money I made. 

I did it, too. Loved the work. Hated the drain on my net worth. Not every business succeeds, and it's not always correlated with the quality of the participants or their work.

To keep things on-topic, I have a Threshold amp that is heavily biased AB. If I use it at all, it's only during winter -- it runs that hot. But it's not my best sounding amp.