Thorium as an energy source

Chris A

On 9/13/2020 at 11:48 AM, Chris A said:

Best time I've spent watching something on-line in a long, long time.

Thanks for posting, Chris. VERY Interesting.

Watched them both. Kirk Sorensen is in Huntsville, Alabama doing research for his small company that was funded by a 2.1 Million dollar donor. My son does software work for the Military down there. I wonder if there's a connection? Looks like a great long term solution to me. Let's hope that he doesn't suffer the same fate as the guy that used Water as his fuel source and was killed under mysterious circumstances. There are fiefdoms to protect in the real world, after all.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Thanks for posting, Chris. VERY Interesting.

Watched them both. Kirk Sorensen is in Huntsville, Alabama doing research for his small company that was funded by a 2.1 Million dollar donor. My son does software work for the Military down there. I wonder if there's a connection? Looks like a great long term solution to me. Let's hope that he doesn't suffer the same fate as the guy that used Water as his fuel source and was killed under mysterious circumstances. There are fiefdoms to protect in the real world, after all.

While working for a contractor here in Chattanooga, doing flight control research, we went to Hunstsville on a regular basis. We did work for NASA, the Navy and Air Force. Always interesting trips.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 2:16 PM, Chris A said:

You can put a LFTR-type reactor (the original video) into the desert without dedicated water supply.  That's a big deal.

yes , this could be solution for the Africa , and possibly a way to avoid using needed water for the population -

4 hours ago, hallcon83 said:

I heard a while back that with the regulations that are in place here in the US it currently it could take as long as 20 years to actually put a new Nuclear power plant into operation... seems crazy to me.

Yes, that is why I related my own experience with NRC regulations--they're insane.  As far as I can see, they are not increasing safety but decreasing it, and no one can get anything done (which was I believe the objective of the NRC in that instance): https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/194451-thorium-as-an-energy-source/&tab=comments#comment-2535459

4 hours ago, hallcon83 said:

Does anyone know more about who else is making plans and doing research on the reactors? 

It's in the second video above, IIRC, or this one:

The USA is about the only first world country not involved in LFTR (liquid fluoride thorium "breeder") reactor development.  For the Chinese, it's really going to be the solution to their pollution problems and energy needs if they can get past the last full-scale piping materials and spent fuel processing issues (as I believe they will).

Chris

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

The USA is about the only first world country not involved in LFTR (liquid fluoride thorium "breeder") reactor development.  For the Chinese, it's really going to be the solution to their pollution problems and energy needs if they can get past the last full-scale piping materials and spent fuel processing issues (as I believe they will).

Chris

As usual, the question comes to mind, "What's the matter with us?"

Hmmmmm...................

Let's see. This technology has been around a long time, since the late 40's. Even had a proposed "atomic" airplane/bomber (the NB36-H) proposed and in development in the late 50's for using this technology.

Fast forward to 2020. Here we have Jeff Bezos, billionaire bookseller, turned spaceflight entrepreneur and this shows up on Amazon Prime Video.

Sounds like a plan to me.

• 3 weeks later...

This article is from last year, but goes into a lot of detail. I admit that I haven't watched the video yet, but found the article pretty informative and convincing. @Chris A  Thanks for bringing this up.

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/technology/2019/nuclear-goes-retro-much-greener-outlook?gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC0ISNTw7IrI8c15voCf0BgErmQ50ZI1AJkMY2KDB9Cozn01yYHiDaRoCcyQQAvD_BwE

As an aside, we just watched David Attenborough: A life on our planet , A Witness Statement.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80216393

Doom and gloom with some hope added in...

• Like 1