Klipschorns AK6 for $8800

Shiva

• 6 months later...

Actually, the footprint on the current Jubilee is about the same as the Klipschorn. The cabinet is taller however due to the K-402 horn (39x26 ?).

If the overall height is a bothersome, then you could substitute the K-402 horn with the smaller K-510 horn (15x9). While it may not sound as good as the usual version, it will sound better than the Klipschorn. Yes, I have owned all three configurations .

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom, thank you for the details. 

This is also my problem. I analyzed a lot between this two options and I went for the more safe option.

In time I will search for a bargain K-402s and then I will build a Jubilee also :)  

My "man cave" is in the attic and due to the roof conformation I'm limited to 1.3 -1.4 meters (4. 5 feet).

So now I'm focusing on the Klipschorns. It will be a DYI project, due to ridiculously high prices that we have here :)

I found already most of the parts I need. I will go with originals K-33, K-55-v and K-77 just to try to be as close as possible to the originals. What I will change are the x-overs, I will use ES400 + ES5800.

<---redirects you back to what Tom said.

Not to disrespect anything you've said nor constraints you may have....  but if  a Khorn will fit then a Jubilee should also fit.  What we're trying to save you from is "X" years down the road you finally obtaining/building a pair and slapping yourself on the forehead while asking "why on earth didn't someone knock me upside the head telling me how much difference (improvement) there would be between the two???"  (then you unmercifully slap yourself again)

Or....  how about this....  you seem to have wood skills.....  just build the Jubilee and get the 402.  If you fear it's still too big, then how about making a LaScala bass bin with the 402 on top.  

Really, it's the K402 that's the 'magic sauce' of all these versions.  It's an excellent sounding horn.  Side by side will make (in my opinion) your stock version sound more like a toy horn.

Ok, so there you have it.  Now you can't come back in later years upset that nobody ever told you.  You've been told by Tom and seconded by me.  What other validation could you need??  :emotion-21:

Guys, I'm now more confuse that before :D

I spent three months searching for the material / parts, I'm thinking now to start over (to spare a few years, as the nice golden retriever said)  .

Is that much the difference between K-horns and Jubilee? I looked on youtube to find a comparison, but nothing.

Yes, the Jubilee sounds better !

The bass is stronger and has lower distortion (to me this is a big deal). On top of that, the modified tractrix horn, either the K-402 (the big guy) or the K-510 (the little guy) will sounds quite a bit better than the K-401 / K-77 combo.  The K-402 is preferred, so consider the K-510 as a back up plan. 

Remember that Coytee and I enjoy spending other people's money, destroying their living rooms, and wrecking their marriages. We both love Jubilees and we cannot control our behavior. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Thank you soundbound.

One of the biggest challenge is done, I had to buy all the parts from US and Canada......

The second challenge is now to find someone who has a pair of K-horns AK6, because I want to compare the old version with the new AK6.

Do you know someone who has the new AK6?

Regards

Norbert 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, norbert2000 said:

Thank you soundbound.

One of the biggest challenge is done, I had to buy all the parts from US and Canada......

The second challenge is now to find someone who has a pair of K-horns AK6, because I want to compare the old version with the new AK6.

Do you know someone who has the new AK6?

Regards

Norbert 

You’re welcome. I don’t know someone who has the new AK6.

Regards

soundbound